Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We’ll all adjust, but the Pac-12’s demise just feels wrong

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club

By Larry Stone
Seattle Times columnist
Objectively and intellectually — coldbloodedly — I understand why Washington hitched its athletic future to the Big Ten. I might begrudgingly even acknowledge it’s the right thing for the Huskies to do. Or, to put it slightly differently, that they had no other choice.

But I’d like to at least take a little time to properly mourn the demise of the conference that has been at the core of my athletic focus my entire life. I started out as an avid Pac-8 fan as a kid growing up in Southern California in the 1960s, then watched it grow into the Pac-10 as a student at Cal in the 1970s, and finally have been chronicling its incarnation into the Pac-12 as a sports writer in first Yakima and then Seattle since the 1980s.

It’s hardly a story unique to me. I’m surpassed in both the length and depth of my Pac passion by legions of fans. But that’s roughly six decades of emotional investment that I’m being asked to toss aside as if it never happened, just so Washington and Oregon can maximize revenue and exposure.

I daresay I’m far from alone among readers of this newspaper and website, and followers of the conference everywhere, in finding it difficult to instantly sever our emotional attachments to the rivalries, traditions and history of the Pac-12, all in the service of an increased media-rights share.

Oh, that will come eventually. New rivalries will form, new traditions will develop, new history will be written. In his recent column, my colleague Matt Calkins wisely advised people to put emotion aside and look at the practical advantages of a move to the Big Ten. You can find those on spreadsheets and ratings lists, and I’ll get there in due time.

But before bottom-line, bloodless practicality takes over, I’d like just a little time to wax nostalgic, if you don’t mind. My head will take over tomorrow, or at least in a few weeks. For now I want to lead with my heart — which is broken by the cruel fate being foisted upon Washington State and Oregon State. These are proud teams with muddled futures now that they’ve been scorned by the conference they’ve helped nurture for more than a century.

And then there’s my alma mater, Cal, which has no viable fallback if the Big Ten decides not to take it and Stanford. In the expansive spirit of the occasion, I’ll even depart from my Golden Bear instincts and hope for a soft landing for denizens of The Farm. The dirty, dark secret is that I never had any animosity for Stanford; that disappeared when I started covering their athletes, men and women, and found them, much to my displeasure, to be approachable and engaging. Damn the Cardinal and their infuriating likability.

But I digress. Right now I’m thinking about those great USC football teams in the 1960s of Mike Garrett and, yes, O.J. Simpson. I’m thinking about John Wooden’s UCLA dynasties of Lew Alcindor (before he became Kareem Abdul-Jabbar), Bill Walton and Marques Johnson. I’m thinking of the Cal powerhouses during my time on campus of Steve Bartkowski, the late Joe Roth, Chuck Muncie and Wesley Walker, and the wondrous John Elway across the bay. I’m thinking about the brilliant Throwin’ Samoan, Jack Thompson, at Washington State and the fun times I had interviewing WSU’s loquacious Jim Walden, the most accessible coach I ever covered. I’m thinking of the great Don James teams at Washington and all the superb athletes over the years in the Pac-12’s women’s sports and so-called minor sports — there was nothing minor about them — that so enriched our athletic enjoyment.

I’m cutting this list drastically short, because I have a word limit, but suffice it to say I could fill pages reminiscing about the great teams and great players that came out of the Pac. People love to mock Walton’s ceaseless reminder of the “Conference of Champions,” but it produced 553 national-championship teams over the years, far more than any other conference. That’s a legacy that shouldn’t just be shunted aside without at least a nod of appreciation.

As with most eulogies, you tend to gloss over the rough patches and distasteful elements. The fact of the matter is, the Pac-12 has been in decline for a decade or longer, spiraling under the weight of a series of misguided or incompetent administrators, wrongheaded decisions and shortsighted strategic planning.

That’s why it all fell apart this week, a stunningly quick disintegration that was actually years in the making. And while I know it’s absolutely the right thing for Washington and Oregon as far as self-preservation, something about the demise of the Pac-12 just feels wrong. We’ll adjust, but there’s a deep sense of loss that I won’t apologize for. The new setup will surely be more lucrative, but I can’t help but wonder if it will ever be as fulfilling.

Poof, the Apple Cup — which has produced more than a century of indelible memories, will never quite be the same, even if it can be maintained in some fashion. Poof, the Rose Bowl is gone as the coveted determinant of Pac-12 and Big Ten superiority (a ship that started sailing a long time ago).

Comments

• Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Ultimately it feels like Stanford and possibly Cal (the classic pac6 and a spinoff of NFL style division play and scheduling) will be added to the BIG to create and fill in a western division of the conference suitable for travel consequences for conference wide considerations, with an emphasis on a western conference scheduling with limited crossover until the championship series
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,116
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Go woke go broke has as new entry in Websters dictionary
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    We have “decent” history with Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota, plus recent important games vs PSU. We can fight with Wisconsin over the real UW.

How many of the Pac traditional rivalries had rea meaning to them? A couple, yes. But this is like Nebraska leaving the Big12. Yes the Oklahoma rivalry was left behind, but while Nebraska had played KSU KU Missouri and ISU like 100 times each, rarely did those games matter.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,549
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    haie said:

whlinder said:

We have “decent” history with Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota, plus recent important games vs PSU. We can fight with Wisconsin over the real UW.

How many of the Pac traditional rivalries had rea meaning to them? A couple, yes. But this is like Nebraska leaving the Big12. Yes the Oklahoma rivalry was left behind, but while Nebraska had played KSU KU Missouri and ISU like 100 times each, rarely did those games matter.

People in Seattle will show up to watch UW play many more traditional B1G teams than Pac teams.

The middle and lower end teams besides Cuog, they did not give a fuck about in the Pac 12 era.

This was obviously factored into UW's decision/negotiation.
    Yup.

No one gave a flying fuck about the Arizona Schools or Colorado.

Cal and Utah - meh.

Stanford when bad, meh.

That's half the conference as meh at best
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Blaming UW and Oregon is Seattle fucking stupid

USC killed the Pac like OJ in a jealous rage

And the Pac was begging for it

Post of the Topic

Mike drop.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited August 2023
    haie said:

whlinder said:

People in Seattle/Puget Sound will show up to watch UW play many more traditional B1G teams than Pac teams.

The middle and lower end teams besides Cuog, they did not give a fuck about in the Pac 12 era.

This was obviously factored into UW's decision/negotiation. Plus SC and UCLA every year.
    Absolutely. I'm already contemplating jumping back on season tix. Been some time. At first, it was the kids activities on weekends. But when that wound up I still didn't think seasons. Now I think I will jump back in.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2023

haie said:

whlinder said:

People in Seattle/Puget Sound will show up to watch UW play many more traditional B1G teams than Pac teams.

This was obviously factored into UW's decision/negotiation. Plus SC and UCLA every year.
    Absolutely. I'm already contemplating jumping back on season tix. Been some time. At first, it was the kids activities on weekends. But when that wound up I still didn't think seasons. Now I think I will jump back in.
    I normally like the flexibility of doing single game tickets even though I end up just going to most of the games anyways.

But with the fun I had last year I felt like I owed it to this staff to go get season tickets.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Blaming UW and Oregon is Seattle fucking stupid

USC killed the Pac like OJ in a jealous rage

And the Pac was begging for it

How dare you @RaceBannon ??..... OJ was acquitted by a jury of his peer
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

Fuck Seattle Times
    Fuck Pac 12
    Fuck KJR
    Fuck Dawgman

I’m sure it was just an oversight but…fixed.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

haie said:

whlinder said:

Ahem

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2023

haie said:

whlinder said:

No more fake gold chains??

Most would expect better from a smarmy Cubano.

But I know better.

If y’all haven’t figured it out yet. I’m comin 98 inside and high until Ban hammered.