Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PAC Deal Framework

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Might as well go independent, we might be able generate the same level of not more haha
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I reported on this two days ago. First and right, per my super secret Twitter X sources.

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1837189#Comment_1837189
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Let's summarize the key financial terms:

• $20M base annual rights from Apple for the duration of the contract ($240M total at 12 programs)
    • Subscription fee of $1/qtr depending on certain key subscriber thresholds met
    • Newbies will receive a half of their share of related revenue over the duration of the contract
    • A pool of money ($70M) will be leveraged by the conference as a whole to cover the Comcast related debt and the estimated related buyouts of the newbies
    Key Assumptions that I'm making in the calculation:
    • Assuming an average subscriber base at between 20M-30M average annual subscribers and that that threshold is maintained throughout the duration of the agreement (will quantify what the impact of going up/down a level is)
    • Assuming that the newbies will give up half of their share of both the $20M base annual rights AND the subscriber contribution bonus from Apple
    • Scenarios run with adding 3 teams (assumes Arizona stays) and 4 teams (assumes Arizona goes to the Big12 as expected)
    There are 3 basic tranches of payments: Big Fish (UW/Ore/Utah), remaining PAC teams, and Newbies

The basic financial formula is as follows:

Base Rights Fee + Subscriber Bonus +/- "Newcomer Tax" = Recurring Annual Revenue over life of contract
    There are way too many variables that would need to align for this to be close to a mediocre deal for UW. If UW signs off on this we? are screwed if the auto-berth goes away.

The assumptions about tiers for payouts, is that actually being reported as in the deal? Or is this just an assumption being made based on what other conferences have done? I would be mildly surprised if the west coast institutions have it in them to create haves and have nots given the culture of the campuses.

If UW can pull $40 mil per year I would take it with an escape clause after 2-3 years to align with a move to the Big 10. That $40 mil number seems to be based on wildly optimistic subscriber counts, though. No way in hell 20 million people are signing up for streaming.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,590
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hear they have it worked into the contract that Ted Lasso will do P12 plugs during the new episodes. It’s gonna be some great hype!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

No one fucking cares

You're right.

I don't give a flying fuck about the money in this bullshit scenario.

If no one wants UW in their big time football conference then just fucking cancel the program already.

RowBoat has plenty of cash and will survive.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

One interesting thing is this would be devastating to UW pac12 hoops. I know this is far down the totem pole of things to care about. Just interesting that fox and espn would basically be out of the west coast college hoops business minus some Gonzaga games. No way Arizona stays imo.

They shoot horses, don't they?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

One interesting thing is this would be devastating to pac12 hoops. I know this is far down the totem pole of things to care about. Just interesting that fox and espn would basically be out of the west coast college hoops business minus some Gonzaga games. No way Arizona stays imo.

In the end this is why I’ve never thought Arizona would stay in the PAC as without UCLA around it’s a huge gap for hoops in perception

Somebody needs to grab their balls and make the right move
  • Options
    haie said:

MHver3. lol.

Utah wouldn't even be part of the luxury group with Oregon and Washington, so he fucked that up in his big horseshit story.

UW is accepting a B1G invite so none of this matters. Both Arizona schools would laugh at anything close to this and kill this league.

No one gives a fuck about the coug that story came and went over 6 months ago.

1) Schools have to have options open to them to leave … lots of reports out there that the B12 isn’t wanting to go to 16 with the 3 corner schools

2) Utah getting more to the point if equal or more than the B12 numbers can effectively leave ASU in a bind

3) Terms puts a number out there that UW/Oregon need to get from the Big10

Hate the source but it’s been more accurate then you care to admit … was calling out Colorado a long time ago
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

You wasted an hour of your life at 2am breaking down financial scenarios on information provided by one of the most notorious liars on cfb twitter.

No … I wasted my time watching the US Soccer team
  • Options

I just read that Apple TV has 25 million subscribers. You think between 80 and 120% of them are going to pay to watch the PAC Fucking 12?

Yep … biggest elephant in the room

There are ways to increase those numbers … for example T-Mobile customers were given the option to get the MLS package for free (similar to what they do for MLB)

But it’s a HUGE bet that is a giant leap of faith
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Let's summarize the key financial terms:

• $20M base annual rights from Apple for the duration of the contract ($240M total at 12 programs)
    • Subscription fee of $1/qtr depending on certain key subscriber thresholds met
    • Newbies will receive a half of their share of related revenue over the duration of the contract
    • A pool of money ($70M) will be leveraged by the conference as a whole to cover the Comcast related debt and the estimated related buyouts of the newbies
    Key Assumptions that I'm making in the calculation:
    • Assuming an average subscriber base at between 20M-30M average annual subscribers and that that threshold is maintained throughout the duration of the agreement (will quantify what the impact of going up/down a level is)
    • Assuming that the newbies will give up half of their share of both the $20M base annual rights AND the subscriber contribution bonus from Apple
    • Scenarios run with adding 3 teams (assumes Arizona stays) and 4 teams (assumes Arizona goes to the Big12 as expected)
    There are 3 basic tranches of payments: Big Fish (UW/Ore/Utah), remaining PAC teams, and Newbies

The basic financial formula is as follows:

Base Rights Fee + Subscriber Bonus +/- "Newcomer Tax" = Recurring Annual Revenue over life of contract
    There are way too many variables that would need to align for this to be close to a mediocre deal for UW. If UW signs off on this we? are screwed if the auto-berth goes away.

The assumptions about tiers for payouts, is that actually being reported as in the deal? Or is this just an assumption being made based on what other conferences have done? I would be mildly surprised if the west coast institutions have it in them to create haves and have nots given the culture of the campuses.

If UW can pull $40 mil per year I would take it with an escape clause after 2-3 years to align with a move to the Big 10. That $40 mil number seems to be based on wildly optimistic subscriber counts, though. No way in hell 20 million people are signing up for streaming.
    Agree that the subscriber numbers are a wild variable that is a massive leap of faith

The split of the Newbie revenue was embedded and is largely consistent with what others have gone through … the graduated schedule is not great for UW

I’d be SHOCKED if the numbers aren’t shown in a manner that highlights the ability for UW and Oregon to make more than the B12 number …

Now that number may include pie in the sky assumptions that we saw before with the PAC Network …

Big takeaway is that the path to make a bad decision is coming clear
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All part of the plan to nab that Chinese viewership
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Can’t wait for the Phil Knight Network to pay Oregon more than Apple TV was offering.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

MHver3. lol.

Utah wouldn't even be part of the luxury group with Oregon and Washington, so he fucked that up in his big horseshit story.

UW is accepting a B1G invite so none of this matters. Both Arizona schools would laugh at anything close to this and kill this league.

No one gives a fuck about the coug that story came and went over 6 months ago.

1) Schools have to have options open to them to leave … lots of reports out there that the B12 isn’t wanting to go to 16 with the 3 corner schools

2) Utah getting more to the point if equal or more than the B12 numbers can effectively leave ASU in a bind

3) Terms puts a number out there that UW/Oregon need to get from the Big10

Hate the source but it’s been more accurate then you care to admit … was calling out Colorado a long time ago
    He's a dipshit WV fan that has already been called out.

Who from the PAC 12 or apple or whoever is feeding this guy info?

Fucking no one.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Guarantee fuck nuts like this don't watch football. Lot of support on Twitter for Apple. Like there was for the innovative Pac 12 network. Uw stays they die. If they die they die