Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Biggest problem with streaming

BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,685
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
There are all sorts of issues, but the biggest problem is you don't casually surf channels and stop to watch the game. Only people seeking it out will watch. I'm sure that has to cut viewership by a substantial amount.

Listening to the PAC-12 station this AM, Geoff Schwartz (Duck) is apoplectic and, from what he's hearing, now believes that there's not even an offer for the conference to accept at this point in time. Colorado asked for a minimum number on a media deal and they got radio silence from Kalashnikov. He also pointed out that the CW channel just entered into an agreement to broadcast NASCAR and their time slot falls on Saturdays at 12:30 PST. So there goes another possible window.

This post is more of the same, except probably worse than what anyone was hoping for. Arizona is about to jump ship for B12 hoops. I have to imagine UW and Oregon announce something timed together, if the way Schwartz was talking is even 25% accurate.

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

There are all sorts of issues, but the biggest problem is you don't casually surf channels and stop to watch the game. Only people seeking it out will watch. I'm sure that has to cut viewership by a substantial amount.

Listening to the PAC-12 station this AM, Geoff Schwartz (Duck) is apoplectic and, from what he's hearing, now believes that there's not even an offer for the conference to accept at this point in time. Colorado asked for a minimum number on a media deal and they got radio silence from Kalashnikov. He also pointed out that the CW channel just entered into an agreement to broadcast NASCAR and their time slot falls on Saturdays at 12:30 PST. So there goes another possible window.

This post is more of the same, except probably worse than what anyone was hoping for. Arizona is about to jump ship for B12 hoops. I have to imagine UW and Oregon announce something timed together, if the way Schwartz was talking is even 25% accurate.

@whatshouldicareabout
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,737
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He's not saying anything new.

And this is the problem: it's never been about getting UW and Oregon what they need. It's the mid tier teams that want around a Big 12 amount of money and on linear, as they have been.

He can't get a deal which satisfies them. He can't sell everything to Apple, which most likely gives them the most money, because Washington and Oregon won't sign off on that. Even if Arizona and ASU are already on the shitty Pac 12 Network a ton, they want out of that model completely. They'll risk a lateral move to ESPN+ because the money is there for them now. So he's completely fucked and he has no choice but to stall and hope that he doesn't lose another school.

The pressure that Colorado and Arizona are putting on the Pac to present them real numbers is no doubt coming from the Big 12 giving them their own deadline before they start looking at filling their spots with UConn, etc.

This could all go Arizona leaving by EOD tomorrow, shortly after ASU announces (or jointly), Utah panics and takes the 4th spot, Oregon and Washington B1G stuff announced around a week from now.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Schwartz also said something about Apple being rumored to become a big ESPN investor.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,141
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Keep working that AM dial @BleachedAnusDawg!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-football/pac-12-media-deal-receive-200-million-proposal-limited-streaming-partner-cfb-insider-calls-huge-setback-conference-reports

According to a CFB insider, information coming from sources inside the Pac-12 is indicating that Kliavkoff is returning with a bad deal. The deal is reportedly worth around $200 million annually from Apple, and it will be exclusive to streaming.

• Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 758
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2023
    At this rate take the Big XII’s $31m, losers.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If Colorado really got scared about losing their spot to UConn...
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I’m pretty sure I’ll have to catch my WSU football on Twitch the way things are going now.
  • Options
    Sandra6Sandra6 Member Posts: 147
    I'm not going to believe we're going to the Big 10 until the day it's announced. On August 3, 2022, pretty much all UW fans (including me) thought it would be two weeks at the most until it would be announced that we were departing the Big 10. Surely it couldn't be hard to get into a conference that invites Maryland and Rutgers, right?

But it's been 52 weeks now and the announcement that we're joining the Big 10 still hasn't come. I've pretty much lost all hope at this point.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495
    Founders Club
    Lulz... Getting a "Fuck Off" from Sandvaginitis6.
  • Options
    coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Plus it’s making the frogs gayer than ever before
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,093
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

I’m pretty sure I’ll have to catch my WSU football on Twitch the way things are going now.

Thinking the CW is going to make a play for it.
  • Options

Kaepsknee said:

With that early season LIV golf lead in, we? may just go Independent with all of the eyeballs awaiting the kickoff.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,093
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

Kaepsknee said:

With that early season LIV golf lead in, we? may just go Independent with all of the eyeballs awaiting the kickoff.
    Maybe a streaming deal with tubi.
  • Options

Kaepsknee said:

Kaepsknee said:

Maybe a streaming deal with tubi.
    Free trial TV subscriber will fuck up. And Ts and Ps to them after they do as it’s an Act of GOD? to stop that bleeding to cancel the subscription.