Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What level of Doog is (was) your old man?

Comments

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,269
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Ultra Doog
    Dad started mid 70's ultra Doog and has since drifted into moderate territory. Hates Oregon with a passion, mild dislike for Coog. He taught me everything I know about being a loyal Doog. Section 7
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Moderately Doogish
    Doogs before the season and before games but gets super real when things go bad. I kept expecting things to turn around against Montana but for him TSWO after the first quarter. Smart.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,116
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Moderately Doogish
    My dad CARES and is pretty positive. His eyes tend to glaze over when I go into an autistic rant about the state of the progrum.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Has little or no interest in Husky Football

My dad CARES and is pretty positive. His eyes tend to glaze over when I go into an autistic rant about the state of the progrum.

Sounds like CARES but does not THINK
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,100
    Founders Club
    Ultra Doog
    dnc said:

My Dad was/is a hater. Grew up Mormon, hated UW because we? refused to play BYU. Which was really probably the most Mormon thing about him.

Plus he grew up in Eastern Washington and always had a soft spot for the fucking coogs.

Thankfully he didn't really GAF about college football so my burgeoning doogdom slipped under his radar until it was too late.

I suppose he really just needed more tim.

When did UW refuse to play BYU?
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,063
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited June 2023
    Ultra Doog

So we're nortbound on willamette in whatever year UW destroyed Oregon(throw a dart) and we? kicked a FG and my dad pounded the steering wheel YEAH YEAH LETS GO!. And being a half brain at 6 years old I said "we were down 31-0 wtf does a FG matter?". To which he replied "you don't understand, son, it's Washington."

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,100
    Founders Club
    Ultra Doog
    booker14 said:

Dad raised me as UW fan despite growing up in the Spokane valley in Coug cuntry. Some of my best memories of my dad revolve around listening to the games on the radio while I helped him service the cars/do the fall yard work/take the garbage to the dump/etc. He tried out for the UW BB team during WW2 as a 17 year old Freshman but didn't make it. He never graduated from UW because he had to come back and work on the farm in the Palouse during the war. I'm so thankful that in the 90's I was able to take him to a couple of games before he had his big stroke. We stood on the ramp on the north side looking down on Hec Ed as he told me about the dirt floor and the crazy bounces on the BB court that they laid on it. In the 2000's until he died in 2009 we talked either at half time or after the game for pretty much every game. I'm glad the last two game he saw were the wins over the Cougs and Cal in 2009.

That's a great fucking story. Seriously.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Moderately Doogish

booker14 said:

Dad raised me as UW fan despite growing up in the Spokane valley in Coug cuntry. Some of my best memories of my dad revolve around listening to the games on the radio while I helped him service the cars/do the fall yard work/take the garbage to the dump/etc. He tried out for the UW BB team during WW2 as a 17 year old Freshman but didn't make it. He never graduated from UW because he had to come back and work on the farm in the Palouse during the war. I'm so thankful that in the 90's I was able to take him to a couple of games before he had his big stroke. We stood on the ramp on the north side looking down on Hec Ed as he told me about the dirt floor and the crazy bounces on the BB court that they laid on it. In the 2000's until he died in 2009 we talked either at half time or after the game for pretty much every game. I'm glad the last two game he saw were the wins over the Cougs and Cal in 2009.

That's a great fucking story. Seriously.
    Some really good stories in this thread.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Moderately Doogish
    dtd said:

So we're nortbound on willamette in whatever year UW destroyed Oregon(throw a dart) and we? kicked a FG and my dad pounded the steering wheel YEAH YEAH LETS GO!. And being a half brain at 6 years old I said "we were down 31-0 wtf does a FG matter?". To which he replied "you don't understand, son, it's Washington."

Sounds your dad is almost as big of a quook as you are.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Moderately Doogish
    My dad was born just after WW2 in Seattle and raised in Centralia. His mom was a UW graduate in the late 1930s and his dad was from the east coast, a lineman on the 1937 Pitt Panthers Rose Bowl champions (beating Washington). He (my grandpa) passed away young, like when my dad was 13. My dad definitely rooted for Washington (he ended up going to college at Willamette) but he didn't live and breathe Husky football and moved to DC in the 1970s. His two younger brothers were more athletic and played football, and while none of them went to Washington, they all cheered for the Huskies as the premier football team north of San Francisco on the west coast. I think it really hurt my uncle when Rick didn't offer my cousin a scholly and he ended up at Cal (too high) before back injuries ended his D1 career.

If the Huskies were on my dad would root for them, but also is a generic fan of northwest / west coast football. I went through a Michigan phase for a while and my grandma scolded me for that, but he didn't get after me. If the Coogs or Beavs or even the Ducks were doing well he would talk about it positively. After her kids were grown, my grandma's "life partner" was a woman who was an Oregon grad. He stayed close to the life partner after my grandma died. (Sadly we did not refer to this life partner as grandma so I could have two grandmas) I think because of this connection whenever I would disparage Oregon he would get excessively defensive about them. This happened far too frequently after 2002. He still has an excessive love for the state of Oregon.

So yeah, he was a Husky fan, but never serious about it. I keep saying was, he's still alive but brain diseases suck and now he just watches whatever football is on TV. But his connections to UW / Seattle and general support of UW certainly set me on my dooging path.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,875
    Which one of my two dads are you referencing?

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,875

Which dad?

Fuck me for plagiarism your shit, fucko.

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023
    Has little or no interest in Husky Football
    It wasn't my pop but my Ma who was the UW fan. Dad was a baseball fan. All four of his sons disappointed the hell out of him by not playing baseball past lil' league. Ma otoh would demand silence when college football was on. Back then only Saturday afternoons on TV or radio. When the huskies were on she sent us all outside in the rain and snow, didn't matter to her. Dad's job on the RR kept him at work on Saturday's so she wrote the rules.

I still like listening to FB on the radio

Edit: He would cheer them on when they made it to the Rose Bowel