Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Perfect electric car analysis

2»

Comments

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    When SloJoe and Demonrat communist party turn off the power we can still roll coal in my Ram Mega cab too.

The BidenBros will cheer until they can't recharge their sex toys.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,768
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

If driving 0-60 mph in 1.8 seconds, or at a top speed of 200 mph is slow, then you and I have a different definition of perfect. The range for this vehicle is now 400 miles. That battery will degrade about 15% over about 7-10 years. I can still get 235 miles on my battery which provided 290 brand new, 8 years and 250,000 miles later. It's never been in the shop for anything other than a window regulator and I've had 2 door handle mechanisms swapped out. I'm still on the original brakes. I get the political hesitancy but oh man it's fun to drive.

The performance numbers are largely meaningless because any EV can be made to be blindingly quick with the technology available. Freaking Kia makes an EV that goes to 60 in 3 seconds flat. There are other senses to which an EV offers nothing, so there is give and take. Nothing is perfect.
    Sound?
    I've owned 2 BMWs, an Audi, 2 Infinities, an Acura, an Honda, VW, 3 Ford trucks and SUVs and 3 Jeeps. As you say, all had positives and negatives but I've enjoyed the Tesla the most. They are begging me to turn it in for a new one with 6 years free charging.
    There is no free maintenance. There are no free tires. There is no free charging. It's all baked into the purchase price. I have no problem with people buying an EV. My problem is the massive government and state subsidies to do so combined with the mandates to end the production of internal combustion engine cars because even the subsidies aren't enough for the average car purchaser. Then toss in the subsidized charging stations and the cost of the electric grid upgrades that all electrical consumers pay for and thus further subsidize EV owners.
    This is kind of where I'm at also. We are throwing billions/trillions into EV infrastructure from government. What happens when the new Tesla is going through R&D and comes up with something miles better that doesn't require charging stations and is cheap and works. Are we just going to scrap all this infrastructure, or is the government going to block out new innovation with regulation to prop up their investment? Or is the new Tesla just not even going to try because they know their regulatory burden is going to be too high because of sunk costs from the government. That's the big fear in my opinion.
    edited May 2023
    Think of the additional electricity to charge 290 million electric cars. 290 million 70 AMP circuits need to be added to homes for just an OK charge time. How is that going to be produced, transmitted etc? Most rooms don't have room for a 70 amp breaker in their electrical panels. Can't keep the lights on now in some states. Those states will demand power from states that have it etc. Good luck!
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,701
    Standard Supporter
    Sledog said:

Think of the additional electricity to charge 290 million electric cars. 290 million 70 AMP circuits need to be added to homes for just an OK charge time. How is that going to be produced, transmitted etc? Most rooms don't have room for a 70 amp breaker in their electrical panels. Can't keep the lights on now in some states. Those states will demand power from states that have it etc. Good luck!

Just do what California does - Virtue Signal. Import dirty electricity because a virtuous state doesn't produce dirty electricity but buying it from another state is super virtuous. Same with hazardous waste disposal. Just ship it out of state because that's was a virtuous state does. That's what we will do with used EV lithium ion batteries. Will ship them to China who will promise to meticulously reclaim all the valuable components and then responsibly dispose of the rest. The reality will be that they just ship it out to sea and dump it. And everyone will feel good.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/

POTEMKIN ENVIRONMENTALISM: California Dumps Nearly Half of Its Hazardous Waste out of State.

California is revealing new information to the public that shows that the eco-friendly state is dumping tons of toxic waste in other states every year.

Since 2010, California has dumped nearly half of its hazardous waste out of state—mostly in Utah, Arizona, and Nevada—according to the state’s latest figures (pdf). Thirteen more states also have received California’s toxic waste but in much lower quantities.

In the past 13 years, the state has dumped 3.7 million tons of hazardous waste in Utah, more than 2.9 million tons in Arizona, and nearly 2.3 million tons in Nevada.

An investigation published by CalMatters in January found that one of the biggest out-of-state toxic waste dumpers was the state’s own Department of Toxic Substances Control.

The reason is that neighboring states don’t have as many environmental regulations for dumping hazardous waste, and it costs less.

There’s a pleasing circularity to California leftists using other states as their dumping grounds, since they also use the much more functional other states to help keep the lights on: California’s Potemkin Environmentalism.

A dirty secret about California’s energy economy is that it imports lots of energy from neighboring states to make up for the shortfall caused by having too few power plants. Up to 20 percent of the state’s power comes from coal-burning plants in Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, and Montana, and another significant portion comes from large-scale hydropower in Oregon, Washington State, and the Hoover Dam near Las Vegas. “California practices a sort of energy colonialism,” says James Lucier of Capital Alpha Partners, a Washington, D.C.–area investment group. “They rely on western states to supply them with power generation they are unwilling to build for themselves”—and leave those states to deal with the resulting pollution.

And California’s garbage, as well.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,304
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

If driving 0-60 mph in 1.8 seconds, or at a top speed of 200 mph is slow, then you and I have a different definition of perfect. The range for this vehicle is now 400 miles. That battery will degrade about 15% over about 7-10 years. I can still get 235 miles on my battery which provided 290 brand new, 8 years and 250,000 miles later. It's never been in the shop for anything other than a window regulator and I've had 2 door handle mechanisms swapped out. I'm still on the original brakes. I get the political hesitancy but oh man it's fun to drive.

The performance numbers are largely meaningless because any EV can be made to be blindingly quick with the technology available. Freaking Kia makes an EV that goes to 60 in 3 seconds flat. There are other senses to which an EV offers nothing, so there is give and take. Nothing is perfect.
    Sound?
    I've owned 2 BMWs, an Audi, 2 Infinities, an Acura, an Honda, VW, 3 Ford trucks and SUVs and 3 Jeeps. As you say, all had positives and negatives but I've enjoyed the Tesla the most. They are begging me to turn it in for a new one with 6 years free charging.
    There is no free maintenance. There are no free tires. There is no free charging. It's all baked into the purchase price. I have no problem with people buying an EV. My problem is the massive government and state subsidies to do so combined with the mandates to end the production of internal combustion engine cars because even the subsidies aren't enough for the average car purchaser. Then toss in the subsidized charging stations and the cost of the electric grid upgrades that all electrical consumers pay for and thus further subsidize EV owners.
    Agree 100% there it should stand on it's own.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,304
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Sledog said:

Plenty of electricity if we use nukes... oh wait
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Sound?
    Sound, smell, a lumpy idle, shifting gears, feeling like you're driving the car versus the other way around. I could go on.
    I still love driving my Jeeps around with no top or doors but I love going from 0-120 in the blink of an eye too. You have to drive it but the moves are so smooth. Taking corners is amazing because of how low to the ground you are and how the heavy battery keeps you grounded.
    Yeah, have ridden around in a few recently. Just does nothing for me. I think Tesla will be a pretty niche player long-term in the EV market. The big manufacturers have largely caught up to them and make far superior products as far as fit and finish go. I would consider an EV as a family hauler if the range/charging stuff can get figured out, but will never own one as my personal fun car. They have the personality of a washing machine.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Sound?
    I'm paying for it and have no problem taking advantage of our shit government. If all the freeshitters are getting multi-million $ pensions for doing shit in 25 years, I'm gonna git me sum 2. Yes, it's hypocritical.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    wind powered - EV's are so last year

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,701
    Standard Supporter
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Sound?
    I'm paying for it and have no problem taking advantage of our shit government. If all the freeshitters are getting multi-million $ pensions for doing shit in 25 years, I'm gonna git me sum 2. Yes, it's hypocritical.
    I have no problem with you taking what the government gives you. I got a federal rebate and a state tax credit for the gas fireplace I put in a few years ago.
    edited May 2023
    All part of their plan to stop you from traveling and meeting with others. Hard to have a revolution if you have to walk to DC from the west coast. That's the real goal of all this 15 minute city bullshit where you cant drive and must walk everywhere. It's all about control and nothing else, They plan on doing shit you would shoot them for.