Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    If driving 0-60 mph in 1.8 seconds, or at a top speed of 200 mph is slow, then you and I have a different definition of perfect. The range for this vehicle is now 400 miles. That battery will degrade about 15% over about 7-10 years. I can still get 235 miles on my battery which provided 290 brand new, 8 years and 250,000 miles later. It's never been in the shop for anything other than a window regulator and I've had 2 door handle mechanisms swapped out. I'm still on the original brakes. I get the political hesitancy but oh man it's fun to drive.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    RoadTrip said:

If driving 0-60 mph in 1.8 seconds, or at a top speed of 200 mph is slow, then you and I have a different definition of perfect. The range for this vehicle is now 400 miles. That battery will degrade about 15% over about 7-10 years. I can still get 235 miles on my battery which provided 290 brand new, 8 years and 250,000 miles later. It's never been in the shop for anything other than a window regulator and I've had 2 door handle mechanisms swapped out. I'm still on the original brakes. I get the political hesitancy but oh man it's fun to drive.

If I can not hop in my vehicle and travel anywhere I want with out more than a stop to pee and fill the tank (minutes) I'll never buy one. For around town errands where it can leisurely charge maybe but doubtful for the reason above. How will I tow my 5th wheel? Not doing that on electric. Semi trucks aren't going to be practical either. As I have mentioned before for Spokane to charge just a a couple free electric busses they need an entire new electrical service and substation at a cost of many millions!

If everyone has one how will you charge it? Not adequate electricity now and as these cars are added it will be entirely inadequate. We'd need a massive power generating build nationwide that we can't build because of green gaga BS and you need to rebuild the ENTIRE electrical grid to deliver it. From the plant to your house. Every house would most likely need a new and larger electrical service and electrical. Same for every business if their employees need to charge.Also they can just turn off the power and no one can move. That's the real reason they want it.

It's really all about control. They want to control your travel. As we've seen the temperature of the planet hasn't risen one bit.
    Founders Club
    The new batteries can get 200 miles in 15 minutes which is2 pretty good and will only get better. I'm not sure about towing but would hope the trucks will also improve over time. In terms of the infrastructure, I agree a lot will have to change. The dumb eco freaks won't allow newer and cleaner nuclear technology. If you ever get a chance to test drive one, do it. The quickness and speed will blow you mind. All those numbers I shared for mine are great considering how hard I drive.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,768
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

The new batteries can get 200 miles in 15 minutes which is2 pretty good and will only get better. I'm not sure about towing but would hope the trucks will also improve over time. In terms of the infrastructure, I agree a lot will have to change. The dumb eco freaks won't allow newer and cleaner nuclear technology. If you ever get a chance to test drive one, do it. The quickness and speed will blow you mind. All those numbers I shared for mine are great considering how hard I drive.

How much more electricity is used at home before/after roughly?
    Founders Club
    edited May 2023
    I almost never charge at home because I have free charging for the life of the vehicle. But when I cahrged fully at home (90kW) I figured it cost me about $8 per full charge. But my 250Volt wall charger was pretty slow and I'd do that overnight. I think that charger did about 40 miles an hour?
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2023
    Two anecdotes.

Friends were going to take their EV on a long vacation to some not even remote places. After mapping out charging stations, they opted to drive their gas powered truck. They didn’t want to risk getting stranded. A real possibility.

Family member with a Tesla. Got slightly rear-ended. Shop wanted $250 just to estimate damage. They can’t get it repaired until August due to where they HAVE to take it. Accident happened in March.

We were considering that Caddy EV. Damn that thing is nice. Now, going with a hybrid instead. I’m not into mapping my trips. I don’t do it now so why would I want to start. There will always be gas wherever we’re headed.
    The only gas station I want to spend 15 minutes in is Buc-ee’s.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Triple A sent me an EV questionnaire. Last question was what would it take for you to buy an EV

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,483
    RoadTrip said:

I've driven a Tesla. Quick but so was the battery drain! The electric trucks lose well over half their range if they tow. That's smaller stuff I pull a 10,000lb 5th wheel. Electric is a no go. They aren't rated for that much. Tech needs to advance for more than around town use. You can travel but I always laughed when I went by Harris Ranch on the I5 in Coalinga and saw all the cars charging and more waiting to charge. I'd go in eat a nice meal and they'd all still be there then fire up the diesel and haul ass. Also those things are chock full of unrecyclable toxic waste that's mined by kids in Africa that regularly die in land slides. Very environmentally and children friendly. The vast majority of batteries are made in China. Odd Biden just canceled protections for our solar system Every decision he makes seems to benefit China. I want to move everything back home and watch China die.
    edited May 2023
    Sledog said:

RoadTrip said:

I've driven a Tesla. Quick but so was the battery drain! The electric trucks lose well over half their range if they tow. That's smaller stuff I pull a 10,000lb 5th wheel. Electric is a no go. They aren't rated for that much. Tech needs to advance for more than around town use. You can travel but I always laughed when I went by Harris Ranch on the I5 in Coalinga and saw all the cars charging and more waiting to charge. I'd go in eat a nice meal and they'd all still be there then fire up the diesel and haul ass. Also those things are chock full of unrecyclable toxic waste that's mined by kids in Africa that regularly die in land slides. Very environmentally and children friendly. The vast majority of batteries are made in China. Odd Biden just canceled protections for our solar system Every decision he makes seems to benefit China. I want to move everything back home and watch China die.
    Once bought a Biden stays bought. And a Biden never lies. Just take their word for that.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    46XiJCAB said:

Sledog said:

RoadTrip said:

Once bought a Biden stays bought. And a Biden never lies. Just take their word for that.
    @AOG is looking into it.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

The performance numbers are largely meaningless because any EV can be made to be blindingly quick with the technology available. Freaking Kia makes an EV that goes to 60 in 3 seconds flat. There are other senses to which an EV offers nothing, so there is give and take. Nothing is perfect.
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

The performance numbers are largely meaningless because any EV can be made to be blindingly quick with the technology available. Freaking Kia makes an EV that goes to 60 in 3 seconds flat. There are other senses to which an EV offers nothing, so there is give and take. Nothing is perfect.
    Sound?
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Sound?
    I've owned 2 BMWs, an Audi, 2 Infinities, an Acura, an Honda, VW, 3 Ford trucks and SUVs and 3 Jeeps. As you say, all had positives and negatives but I've enjoyed the Tesla the most. They are begging me to turn it in for a new one with 6 years free charging.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Sound?
    Sound, smell, a lumpy idle, shifting gears, feeling like you're driving the car versus the other way around. I could go on.
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Sound?
    Sound, smell, a lumpy idle, shifting gears, feeling like you're driving the car versus the other way around. I could go on.
    I still love driving my Jeeps around with no top or doors but I love going from 0-120 in the blink of an eye too. You have to drive it but the moves are so smooth. Taking corners is amazing because of how low to the ground you are and how the heavy battery keeps you grounded.
  • Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,497
    I will take the sound, feel and every other sense stimulation of a 60 Series Detroit everyday over any other pretender.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,304
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Blu82 said:

I will take the sound, feel and every other sense stimulation of a 60 Series Detroit everyday over any other pretender.

Test drive one... you may change your mind.