Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dick Baird opines on the TUFF schedule

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

PurpleJ said:

"Although the pre-season has a balance of one really good “A” caliber team (Boise State), one Big Ten “B level” team (Illinois, a 2-10 team last season), and one lower division “C” opponent, (Idaho State), they will be played in that order. Ideally you would want to play in reverse order and progressively improve along with the level of your opponent."

I stopped reading there.

That was a friggin disappointing season. Beating Ohio State and Miami in OOC games in the same season back then meant you had enough talent to compete for a conference title. Losing to USC always sucks, but it was downright embarrassing to lose to Oregon, Stanford and the Cougs that year. That was a clear sign that a change at the top would be needed.

Lambright should have been fired on the 50 yard line at the end of the Apple Cup Oregon game.
    I had always believed in Lambright until the Oregon game.

Damn that year sucked after beating Miami in Miami I thought
    that team was headed towards a 10-1 season.

10-1? I don't know about that. WHOREgon (lol) did end up making the Rose Bowl that yr., and the Kooks made a bowl game as well. There wasn't top ten talent on that team. 9-2 would've been a very good year, and 8-3 seems about right.

'97 was the Lambo team that pissed me off. Going from a number 2 ranking to losing to Ryan Leaf and the Coogs to end up 7-4 made me want him fired.
    Going into the year though Oregon wasn't though of as much though. I remember the sentiment was survive the first four games which UW did going 3-1 and the rest of the season sets up nicely.

Now as for 1997? That team with the right coach could have won the national title. That year they sent like 13 guys to the NFL. I think the 1994, 1996 and 1997 teams had more talent than the 2000 team who won the Rose Bowl.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,281 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

"Although the pre-season has a balance of one really good “A” caliber team (Boise State), one Big Ten “B level” team (Illinois, a 2-10 team last season), and one lower division “C” opponent, (Idaho State), they will be played in that order. Ideally you would want to play in reverse order and progressively improve along with the level of your opponent."

I stopped reading there.

That was a friggin disappointing season. Beating Ohio State and Miami in OOC games in the same season back then meant you had enough talent to compete for a conference title. Losing to USC always sucks, but it was downright embarrassing to lose to Oregon, Stanford and the Cougs that year. That was a clear sign that a change at the top would be needed.

Lambright should have been fired on the 50 yard line at the end of the Apple Cup Oregon game.

10-1? I don't know about that. WHOREgon (lol) did end up making the Rose Bowl that yr., and the Kooks made a bowl game as well. There wasn't top ten talent on that team. 9-2 would've been a very good year, and 8-3 seems about right.

'97 was the Lambo team that pissed me off. Going from a number 2 ranking to losing to Ryan Leaf and the Coogs to end up 7-4 made me want him fired.
    Going into the year though Oregon wasn't though of as much though. I remember the sentiment was survive the first four games which UW did going 3-1 and the rest of the season sets up nicely.

Now as for 1997? That team with the right coach could have won the national title. That year they sent like 13 guys to the NFL. I think the 1994, 1996 and 1997 teams had more talent than the 2000 team who won the Rose Bowl.

1994 was a down year for the conference in general which made the 7-4 season after beating Ohio State and Miami even more frustrating. As you say, the start seemed to set the season up nicely. Starting out 5-1, a conference title was there for the taking.

Also agree that the '94, '96 and '97 teams had a ton of talent. With proper coaching, those teams really were capable of playing with anyone. Very frustrating era.

PurpleJ said:

I stopped reading there.

1994 was a down year for the conference in general which made the 7-4 season after beating Ohio State and Miami even more frustrating. As you say, the start seemed to set the season up nicely. Starting out 5-1, a conference title was there for the taking.

Also agree that the '94, '96 and '97 teams had a ton of talent. With proper coaching, those teams really were capable of playing with anyone. Very frustrating era.
    Agree in fact the Pac-10 from 1993-1999 was pretty shitty. Won only won Rose Bowl, typically didn't do well in bowl games or OOC games either.

Talking about 1994 our conference had no 10 game winners and every team in conference had 4+ losses but USC who was only 8-3-1. Oregon had lost to Hawaii and Utah that year.

WSU lost to Oregon State that year which back then was a terrible loss.

Stanford the other team UW lost to was 3-7-1. With their other wins being against San Jose State and Oregon State.

Miami was 10-2 finishing the year ranked 6th in the nation. They went 10-1 in the regular season before losing to #1 Nebraska 24-17.

Ohio State was 9-4 that year finishing #9 in the coaches. That 7-4 UW team defeated two top 10 teams and lost to #13 USC(end of season ranking) to start the year.

That team had the talent had they had the right coach could have gone 10-1.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Lambright was a borderline terrible coach. He underachieved almost every year. I have tapes of a lot of those games, and the bad coaching is pretty evident when you go back and watch.

There was plenty of talent to win more games, and a decent coach would have gotten at least one 10 win season from 94-97.

Lambright was a borderline terrible coach. He underachieved almost every year. I have tapes of a lot of those games, and the bad coaching is pretty evident when you go back and watch.

There was plenty of talent to win more games, and a decent coach would have gotten at least one 10 win season from 94-97.

Sadly you are 100% correct and yet Lambo is miles better than Sark.

Lambo was a bad coach. Biggest doog myth there is that firing him was a bad move.
  • Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    Passion said:

dick "coaches-should-never-get-fired" baird? The guy has absolutely Z-E-R-O credibility. An ex-coach? Sure, but he has ruined his good name with the constant excuses and pandering over the past decade plus. I want to urinate in his bourbon.
    \

Not to mention he actually had the audacity to scrap with me on air. What gall.

Huh?

• IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    I wish there was an alternative pre & post Husky game option. My pre/post game travel is 2+ hours and those guys are just to painful for the drive.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

PurpleJ said:

I stopped reading there.

Agree in fact the Pac-10 from 1993-1999 was pretty shitty. Won only won Rose Bowl, typically didn't do well in bowl games or OOC games either.

Talking about 1994 our conference had no 10 game winners and every team in conference had 4+ losses but USC who was only 8-3-1. Oregon had lost to Hawaii and Utah that year.

WSU lost to Oregon State that year which back then was a terrible loss.

Stanford the other team UW lost to was 3-7-1. With their other wins being against San Jose State and Oregon State.

Miami was 10-2 finishing the year ranked 6th in the nation. They went 10-1 in the regular season before losing to #1 Nebraska 24-17.

Ohio State was 9-4 that year finishing #9 in the coaches. That 7-4 UW team defeated two top 10 teams and lost to #13 USC(end of season ranking) to start the year.

That team had the talent had they had the right coach could have gone 10-1.
    God, that almost sounds Doogish talking about how weak the conference. Seems I made the same point with DJ only facing a ranked WSU, Oregon and OSU team 3 times in his career.

See, you can be critical and make valid points without being a Doog or Noog.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,539 Founders Club
    How many times has the loyal assistant ever met or exceeded expectations after becoming h.c.? You have Chimp, but besides him? They almost always get canned a few years later. ADs are stupid, especially ours.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    edited August 2013

How many times has the loyal assistant ever met or exceeded expectations after becoming h.c.? You have Chimp, but besides him? They almost always get canned a few years later. ADs are stupid, especially ours.

Bellotti and Chip, though in Chip's case in particular it's hard to call him the loyal assistant, he was only there for what 2 years before he took the gig? Other than that it's hard to think of any. Career assistants are career assistants for a reason.

David Shaw has done well his first two seasons, but I totally agree with your point. That's what makes me hopeful about Helfrich. Most likely, he won't be anywhere close to as good as Chip. They rarely are.

• dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

David Shaw
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

I wish there was an alternative pre & post Husky game option. My pre/post game travel is 2+ hours and those guys are just to painful for the drive.

Stay at home. The options are infinitely better.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959

David Shaw, Dabo Swinney, Chris Peterson, Jimbo Fisher, Pat Fitzgerald and Mike Gundy were all assistants on their teams before becoming the head coach. Just 6 of the current top 25. So "often" I believe would be the answer to your question.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Lambo sucked and I hear he's not the great guy people make him out to be. I personally encountered him once for about 3 seconds (working on a golf course) and my opinion is he's a dick. FWIW I also encountered Gilby. Terrible lazy coach but seemed like a good guy.

David Shaw, Dabo Swinney, Chris Peterson, Jimbo Fisher, Pat Fitzgerald and Mike Gundy were all assistants on their teams before becoming the head coach. Just 6 of the current top 25. So "often" I believe would be the answer to your question.
    Good post, and I'm surprised it was so many.

edited August 2013

Sadly you are 100% correct and yet Lambo is miles better than Sark.

Lambo was a bad coach. Biggest doog myth there is that firing him was a bad move.
    Yeah, anyone who says it was a mistake to fire Lambo is an idiot. I might give Lambo a slight edge over Sark, but they are somewhat similar in a way as head coaches.

Lambo was a good DC under James, but much of that was because he was coaching under James. Sark was a decent OC at USC, but that was mainly because of the elite talent and Carroll's insistence on running the ball. I still think Sark could be a good OC if he had the right coach restricting what he could call, he's just over his head when he is by himself. It was the same way with Lambo.

When Lambo was head coach, none of his defenses were that special, and Sark's offenses have been misses except for 2011. Even in 2011, the offense didn't do much whenever we played a team with a good defense.

Lambo's defenses ranked 23rd, 31st, 52nd, 36th, 40th, and 76th in points allowed per game when he was head coach. Being ranked 36th and 40th in '96 and '97 was pathetic. He had some very good talent on those defense. Without James, Lambo's defenses became average to below average. Both Lambo and Sark have had bad special teams, anything thing almost every good coach excels at. Neither guy is or was the right guy to lead UW.

• SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,281 Founders Club

Add Phil Fulmer to that list. Assistant takes over and elevates the program winning to SEC and National Titles.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited August 2013

Lambo sucked and I hear he's not the great guy people make him out to be. I personally encountered him once for about 3 seconds (working on a golf course) and my opinion is he's a dick. FWIW I also encountered Gilby. Terrible lazy coach but seemed like a good guy.

I met a player Catalina Island a few years back ( no homo). He hated lambright. Said he was a dick.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,441 Founders Club

Yeah but still