Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ken Burns Civil War Series - Episode One: The Cause (1861)

13»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    President Grant was willing to do what it took for reconstruction and reconciliation

Congress wasn't

Didn't help that the South was BACK in congress and rigged elections with Jim Crow to send white supremacist lawmakers

Kids today think it's tuff
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,855
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

President Grant was willing to do what it took for reconstruction and reconciliation

Congress wasn't

Didn't help that the South was BACK in congress and rigged elections with Jim Crow to send white supremacist lawmakers

I blame Oregon. They welcomed all those traitorous cocksuckers with open arms after the War.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    Founders Club

Congress wasn't

I blame Oregon. They welcomed all those traitorous cocksuckers with open arms after the War.
    I feel like Andrew Johnson set the conditions for reconstruction to fail and wonder what if Grant took over Lincoln’s death
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,751
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Congress wasn't

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Congress wasn't

I feel like Andrew Johnson set the conditions for reconstruction to fail and wonder what if Grant took over Lincoln’s death
    This would make a great counter factual to research.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Congress wasn't

My entire White Wakanda neighbor is either San Francisco cocka-sucka, Portland cocka-sucka or Seattle cocka-sucka.
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

HFNY said:

SECDAWG said:

Shout out to our Shelby Foote @RaceBannon .

Fuck off @SECDAWG you treasonous cousin fucker.

@swaye @whlinder Northern Virginia is for gay lovers and losers.

Sorry Pod. Minus slavery issues, I fight with my confederate brothers against big gubment.

As Hank Jr sang:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxEmry5lRKk

Just needed more supplies. Could out shoot em 10:1.

Was a terrible War. Lotta good lives lost and beautiful families and properties destroyed.

SEC still hasn’t forgot and thus, football.
    The North

1-0
    The South is the new North

Uhm yeah, no. The GDP of the union states circa 1865 still dwarfs the CSA states. Both per capita and in absolute terms. Same as it ever was.

This was key. The bigger population and better infrastructure was an absolute advantage and if not for McClellan, I wonder if the Civil War would have concluded in 1964.

Has anyone read the Grant Book by Chernow? Ridiculously good. Grant is one of the most notable Americans ever IMHO.
    I literally finally finished it this week. Really good read. Biased though, I'm a long tim Chernow fan.

Didn't know a lot about Grant before hand. One of our most underrated Presidents.

He should have gone to the convention floor to get that 3rd term, IMO.

For as great a leader as he was, it was amazing how he managed to get burned often in his business dealings.

One mentally TUFF sob. That's for sure.

@YellowSnow @HFNY @CFetters_Nacho_Lover @Doog_de_Jour
    Chernow's take on Worshington is also essential.

I think his presidency was underrated and he did the best he could with Reconstruction. It was a losing hand, however, unless we? wanted to occupy @SECDAWG for 50 years.

Don't know about 3rd term though. George set the precedent here and it was a good one. We don't need life long kings.
    Agree on Chernow's Worshington. Read Hamilton too long before it was a play. Essential.

Disagree on POTUS term-limits. Long convo. TITTT.

• Options
    Founders Club

Congress wasn't

Congress wasn't

AJ was a POS POTUS. Definitely racist af.

Agree with Race. He was there. I doubt Grant would have fared any better earlier due to Southern White Democrats revolting. It must have been a bitter pill to swallow - when 3/5's became 1/1 - where the blick vote instantly sent blicks to Congress, state legislatures, mayorships, etc. Buttfuck those guysm.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

pawz said:

HFNY said:

SECDAWG said:

Sorry Pod. Minus slavery issues, I fight with my confederate brothers against big gubment.

As Hank Jr sang:

Was a terrible War. Lotta good lives lost and beautiful families and properties destroyed.

The North

1-0

Uhm yeah, no. The GDP of the union states circa 1865 still dwarfs the CSA states. Both per capita and in absolute terms. Same as it ever was.

This was key. The bigger population and better infrastructure was an absolute advantage and if not for McClellan, I wonder if the Civil War would have concluded in 1964.

Has anyone read the Grant Book by Chernow? Ridiculously good. Grant is one of the most notable Americans ever IMHO.
    I literally finally finished it this week. Really good read. Biased though, I'm a long tim Chernow fan.

Didn't know a lot about Grant before hand. One of our most underrated Presidents.

For as great a leader as he was, it was amazing how he managed to get burned often in his business dealings.

I think his presidency was underrated and he did the best he could with Reconstruction. It was a losing hand, however, unless we? wanted to occupy @SECDAWG for 50 years.

Don't know about 3rd term though. George set the precedent here and it was a good one. We don't need life long kings.
    Agree on Chernow's Worshington. Read Hamilton too long before it was a play. Essential.

I still need to read Hamilton.

Never have seen the show, nor will I ever. I loathe Broadway Musicals (much to the displeasure of @MrsSnow and I don't need hip hop music to teach me history. I prefer books n' stuff for that.

I'll give you an hour of chairlift Tug time this spring for HH Ski Club. You can say it to my face on the topics of your choosing.
  • Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

Congress wasn't

My entire White Wakanda neighbor is either San Francisco cocka-sucka, Portland cocka-sucka or Seattle cocka-sucka.
    Welcum to the West Bellevue high-desert.

• Options
    Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

HFNY said:

SECDAWG said:

As Hank Jr sang:

The North

1-0

Never have seen the show, nor will I ever. I loathe Broadway Musicals (much to the displeasure of @MrsSnow and I don't need hip hop music to teach me history. I prefer books n' stuff for that.

I'll give you an hour of chairlift Tug time this spring for HH Ski Club. You can say it to my face on the topics of your choosing.
    Last tim, tug tim was in the bar over adult beverages.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

HFNY said:

SECDAWG said:

As Hank Jr sang:

The North

1-0

Last tim, tug tim was in the bar over adult beverages.

• Options
    Founders Club

Johnson did his best to fuck it up but needed more tim to get his guys in there

Grant actually made some progress before Congress pulled the plug. Grant had troops down there. Remember that in the early days after the war, Blacks were winning elections, including to Congress from the south

Then the Klan showed up

Correct. However Grant was reticent to send his troop guysm back in until the Klan made it impossible not to. Then came Uncle Phil Sheridan to the rescue.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Johnson did his best to fuck it up but needed more tim to get his guys in there

Grant actually made some progress before Congress pulled the plug. Grant had troops down there. Remember that in the early days after the war, Blacks were winning elections, including to Congress from the south

Then the Klan showed up

Correct. However Grant was reticent to send his troop guysm back in until the Klan made it impossible not to. Then came Uncle Phil Sheridan to the rescue.

The brilliance of Grant was the let Uncle Phil and Sherman do their thing, while he bleed Lee to death.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Congress wasn't

Welcum to the West Bellevue high-desert.

It's an interesting town. Parts are West Bellevue and parts are Lynwood.