Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Inheritance

WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,283 Swaye's Wigwam
A lot is made of college football coaches about if they can win with their guys or if they need more Tim. Was thinking of what the post-James UW coaches have inherited. How do you think the coaches have stacked up with what they inherited roster wise when they took over the job? Here's what I think

1. Neuheisel - The depth of talent on the early-Neu teams still startles me and I don't think the program has ever gotten back there. Got a better deal than Lambo because he got Tui, who also convinced them to run the option in 2000.
2. Lambo - Deep/Stacked roster. He didn't inherit a true difference maker at QB though.
3. Petersen - Did actually inherit some really nice talent pieces from the dreaded Sark and specifically some crucial guys who were guys he wouldn't have recruited.
4. DeBoer - The roster wasn't filled with busts, just with nice four-star talent that had been coached horribly. Penix doesn't count as something he inherited.
5. Sark - A few nice NFL pieces Willingham was squandering and Locker at QB the big piece.
6. Gilby - The roster had quietly turned to shit under Neuheisel. The 2003 team actually had some real good pieces in Pickett/Reggie/Tank Johnson/Marquis Cooper/Khalif - hence how it won six games with fucking Gilby coaching.
7. Willingham - He's still the worst coach of this bunch. Doesn't mean he didn't inherit a roster turned to shit by Neuheisel and Gilby.

I don't know what to do with Jimmy considering the Covid season adn shit.

Comments

• Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,720

A lot is made of college football coaches about if they can win with their guys or if they need more Tim. Was thinking of what the post-James UW coaches have inherited. How do you think the coaches have stacked up with what they inherited roster wise when they took over the job? Here's what I think

1. Neuheisel - The depth of talent on the early-Neu teams still startles me and I don't think the program has ever gotten back there. Got a better deal than Lambo because he got Tui, who also convinced them to run the option in 2000.
    2. Lambo - Deep/Stacked roster. He didn't inherit a true difference maker at QB though.
    3. Petersen - Did actually inherit some really nice talent pieces from the dreaded Sark and specifically some crucial guys who were guys he wouldn't have recruited.
    4. DeBoer - The roster wasn't filled with busts, just with nice four-star talent that had been coached horribly. Penix doesn't count as something he inherited.
    5. Sark - A few nice NFL pieces Willingham was squandering and Locker at QB the big piece.
    6. Gilby - The roster had quietly turned to shit under Neuheisel. The 2003 team actually had some real good pieces in Pickett/Reggie/Tank Johnson/Marquis Cooper/Khalif - hence how it won six games with fucking Gilby coaching.
    7. Willingham - He's still the worst coach of this bunch. Doesn't mean he didn't inherit a roster turned to shit by Neuheisel and Gilby.

DeBoer didn’t inherit anything of note that Lake didn’t inherit and Lake inherited incredible CBs while KDB got none.

Give DeBoer the 2020 roster and he makes the playoff in 2021 (assuming he finds a QB in his first two years)
    An interesting point. With puka, jalen, Rome, mcgrew in a functioning spread offense uw would likely have been better. The Jon don offense was a player killer.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,720

Tui was only a difference maker because RN was smart enough to abandon his entire offense and run the offense that maximized Tui’s talents. It remains by far the best coaching move any UW coach has made that I was old enough to observe in real time (DJ’s recurring philosophy change after the Bama loss was probably better but I was too young to have any concept of teen boi stocking).
    The 2000 defense was really talented at every level. Tough kids too.

Best inheritance of any uw coach.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

LawDawg1 said:

Deboer’s inherited RBs and DBs were by far the worst positions of any though.

RB for sure but Petersen had to play Shaq and there was nobody at DB aside from Peters. The back end was woeful until his true frosh recruits started to figure it out.

Petersen got a shit OL, shit RBs, shit QBs, and shit WR too (the positions you'd think Sark the recruiter and offensive genius would've had stocked). Deboer at least inherited a good OL and good WR. Both got pretty decent lines but Pete got way better linebackers.

It's close.
    I would take what DeBoer inherited over what Pete inherited rather easily. Pete inherited a few stars but almost zero depth and the stars he inherited were basically all seniors except for Ross and Azeem.

For me

Lambo
    Rick
    Lake
    DeBoer
    Pete
    Sark
    Gilby
    Ty
    I would also put Lake at #3. Everyone knew he inherited a good roster.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,486 Founders Club

Tui was only a difference maker because RN was smart enough to abandon his entire offense and run the offense that maximized Tui’s talents. It remains by far the best coaching move any UW coach has made that I was old enough to observe in real time (DJ’s recurring philosophy change after the Bama loss was probably better but I was too young to have any concept of teen boi stocking).
    DJ/Lambo switching to the 46 defense in 1989
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,283 Swaye's Wigwam
    Pete inherited some ridiculous NFL talent but it was almost all on defense and either.

1. A guy who was basically already a pro - Shaq Thompson, Marcus Peters, Danny Shelton, Kikaha
    2. A guy who was talented but needed serious development - Ross, Kevin King, Littleton, Feeney

The depth on those old 90s-early-2000s teams it once of the quiet biggest things the program lost and never got back. It went from having NFL guys waiting in the wings to any player with any shred of talent having to play immediately and it fucking up a lot of their development.

Agree that having DeBoer start in 2020 would have led to a huge 2021. Everything he brought to the table with McDuffie, Gordon, and Radley-Hiles back there would have been lights out.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,677 Founders Club

A great point but how can Deboer's 180° turn around of the offense this year be ignored. The transition in 1 year has been remarkable. Now he needs to find a defense.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,787
    Willingham also had ridiculously strong OOC schedules too. Sark dumbed those down.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    edited January 2023
    RoadTrip said:

A great point but how can Deboer's 180° turn around of the offense this year be ignored. The transition in 1 year has been remarkable. Now he needs to find a defense.
    I think DeBoer is a lights out offensive coach. I love him. I don’t think he did anything especially brilliant or courageous bringing in his offensive system though. It was an obvious decision (and basically the reason he got hired). RN pivoting from his offense (the reason he got hired) to something of a dinosaur in the option because it fit his personnel is a much different thing. We’ve just watched multiple coaches fail because they were married to their system (Sark with locker, Pete with everyone, Lake with anyone). It’s hard to overstate RN stepping away from his system for the good of the team.

My original point was no one talks about RN inheriting a difference maker at QB if he forces Tui to run his offense like every other coach we have hired would have. But RN didn’t.