Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Inheritance

2»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club
    When the upset was over, once Louisiana-Monroe had embarrassed Alabama 21-14 in 2007 and Bryant-Denny Stadium became eerily quiet, a Warhawks cornerback named Quintez Secka searched for Nick Saban to shake his hand.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,284 Swaye's Wigwam

RoadTrip said:

A lot is made of college football coaches about if they can win with their guys or if they need more Tim. Was thinking of what the post-James UW coaches have inherited. How do you think the coaches have stacked up with what they inherited roster wise when they took over the job? Here's what I think

1. Neuheisel - The depth of talent on the early-Neu teams still startles me and I don't think the program has ever gotten back there. Got a better deal than Lambo because he got Tui, who also convinced them to run the option in 2000.
    2. Lambo - Deep/Stacked roster. He didn't inherit a true difference maker at QB though.
    3. Petersen - Did actually inherit some really nice talent pieces from the dreaded Sark and specifically some crucial guys who were guys he wouldn't have recruited.
    4. DeBoer - The roster wasn't filled with busts, just with nice four-star talent that had been coached horribly. Penix doesn't count as something he inherited.
    5. Sark - A few nice NFL pieces Willingham was squandering and Locker at QB the big piece.
    6. Gilby - The roster had quietly turned to shit under Neuheisel. The 2003 team actually had some real good pieces in Pickett/Reggie/Tank Johnson/Marquis Cooper/Khalif - hence how it won six games with fucking Gilby coaching.
    7. Willingham - He's still the worst coach of this bunch. Doesn't mean he didn't inherit a roster turned to shit by Neuheisel and Gilby.

I don't know what to do with Jimmy considering the Covid season adn shit.

Tui was only a difference maker because RN was smart enough to abandon his entire offense and run the offense that maximized Tui’s talents. It remains by far the best coaching move any UW coach has made that I was old enough to observe in real time (DJ’s recurring philosophy change after the Bama loss was probably better but I was too young to have any concept of teen boi stocking).
    A great point but how can Deboer's 180° turn around of the offense this year be ignored. The transition in 1 year has been remarkable. Now he needs to find a defense.
    I think DeBoer is a lights out offensive coach. I love him. I don’t think he did anything especially brilliant or courageous bringing in his offensive system though. It was an obvious decision (and basically the reason he got hired). RN pivoting from his offense (the reason he got hired) to something of a dinosaur in the option because it fit his personnel is a much different thing. We’ve just watched multiple coaches fail because they were married to their system (Sark with locker, Pete with everyone, Lake with anyone). It’s hard to overstate RN stepping away from his system for the good of the team.

My original point was no one talks about RN inheriting a difference maker at QB if he forces Tui to run his offense like every other coach we have hired would have. But RN didn’t.
    Yeah, Neuheisel is a guy who I think was just a little bit off from being a generational coach. I feel like it's a handful of things which held him back but there was a lot to like there.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

A lot is made of college football coaches about if they can win with their guys or if they need more Tim. Was thinking of what the post-James UW coaches have inherited. How do you think the coaches have stacked up with what they inherited roster wise when they took over the job? Here's what I think

1. Neuheisel - The depth of talent on the early-Neu teams still startles me and I don't think the program has ever gotten back there. Got a better deal than Lambo because he got Tui, who also convinced them to run the option in 2000.
    2. Lambo - Deep/Stacked roster. He didn't inherit a true difference maker at QB though.
    3. Petersen - Did actually inherit some really nice talent pieces from the dreaded Sark and specifically some crucial guys who were guys he wouldn't have recruited.
    4. DeBoer - The roster wasn't filled with busts, just with nice four-star talent that had been coached horribly. Penix doesn't count as something he inherited.
    5. Sark - A few nice NFL pieces Willingham was squandering and Locker at QB the big piece.
    6. Gilby - The roster had quietly turned to shit under Neuheisel. The 2003 team actually had some real good pieces in Pickett/Reggie/Tank Johnson/Marquis Cooper/Khalif - hence how it won six games with fucking Gilby coaching.
    7. Willingham - He's still the worst coach of this bunch. Doesn't mean he didn't inherit a roster turned to shit by Neuheisel and Gilby.

Tui was only a difference maker because RN was smart enough to abandon his entire offense and run the offense that maximized Tui’s talents. It remains by far the best coaching move any UW coach has made that I was old enough to observe in real time (DJ’s recurring philosophy change after the Bama loss was probably better but I was too young to have any concept of teen boi stocking).
    A great point but how can Deboer's 180° turn around of the offense this year be ignored. The transition in 1 year has been remarkable. Now he needs to find a defense.
    I think DeBoer is a lights out offensive coach. I love him. I don’t think he did anything especially brilliant or courageous bringing in his offensive system though. It was an obvious decision (and basically the reason he got hired). RN pivoting from his offense (the reason he got hired) to something of a dinosaur in the option because it fit his personnel is a much different thing. We’ve just watched multiple coaches fail because they were married to their system (Sark with locker, Pete with everyone, Lake with anyone). It’s hard to overstate RN stepping away from his system for the good of the team.

My original point was no one talks about RN inheriting a difference maker at QB if he forces Tui to run his offense like every other coach we have hired would have. But RN didn’t.
    Yeah, Neuheisel is a guy who I think was just a little bit off from being a generational coach. I feel like it's a handful of things which held him back but there was a lot to like there.
    I you catch Rick on a broadcast he appears to actually be as corny as he acted. He was considered slick and fake but I wonder.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club

When the upset was over, once Louisiana-Monroe had embarrassed Alabama 21-14 in 2007 and Bryant-Denny Stadium became eerily quiet, a Warhawks cornerback named Quintez Secka searched for Nick Saban to shake his hand.

The 2007 Louisiana–Monroe Warhawks football team represented the University of Louisiana at Monroe in the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The Warhawks offense scored 282 points while the defense allowed 332 points.[1]
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,667 Standard Supporter
    BS - Ty is the worst PAC 12 coach ever - Lake does not have enough games to make the record books but TY does - and he sucks, and he gets picked to be on a committee that determines the ratings for the final playoffs? Fuck, kill that guy before he does more damage.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,664 Standard Supporter
    LebamDawg said:

BS - Ty is the worst PAC 12 coach ever - Lake does not have enough games to make the record books but TY does - and he sucks, and he gets picked to be on a committee that determines the ratings for the final playoffs? Fuck, kill that guy before he does more damage.

Paul Wulff would like a word.

• RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,677 Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

Oh man I get what you're saying now. Yeah, going to the option to take advantage of Tui was brilliant.