Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A Q for the bored re: Mexico

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Why can't they get their shit together? Rich in natural resources, on two major oceans, decent universities, boarders the USA...

What the hell? Why are they so fucked up?

Comments

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Your eyes are as good as mine.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Because USA's drug lords are legal(pharmaceuticals), and theirs are illegal.
    USA is making tons of money off their legal drugs via taxes, doc visits, etc etc
    Mexico hords all their money in a few various cartels which pay no taxes.

Oh yeah, and mexican cartels murder and pay off everyone who doesn't agree with them. Small barrier to entry for most folks wanting to progress in the mexican society.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Mexican organized crime makes 1920s Chicago look like it was being controlled by a bunch of priests
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    But how are they a bad culture?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    Founders Club

Why can't they get their shit together? Rich in natural resources, on two major oceans, decent universities, boarders the USA...

In a sense, they have gotten their shit together. They're now the world's 13th richest economy, and according to Stratfor is on the rise.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,944

Because USA's drug lords are legal(pharmaceuticals), and theirs are illegal.
    USA is making tons of money off their legal drugs via taxes, doc visits, etc etc
    Mexico hords all their money in a few various cartels which pay no taxes.

Oh yeah, and mexican cartels murder and pay off everyone who doesn't agree with them. Small barrier to entry for most folks wanting to progress in the mexican society.

Heisenberg - is that you?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

In a sense, they have gotten their shit together. They're now the world's 13th richest economy, and according to Stratfor is on the rise.
    reuters.com/article/2014/09/07/us-mexico-violence-insight-idUSKBN0H20JG20140907
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's by GDP. That is not the best way to measure if a county is rich or not.

businessinsider.com/top-countries-on-oecd-better-life-index-2013-5?op=1
  • Options

Why do you say they are a bad culture? Most americans view of mexicans come from 2 things. Drugs, and the constant rhetoric surrounding illegals in the USA.

The first is truly hilarious b/c of exactly what I posted above. Pharmaceutical drugs are far more damaging on American society today than what mexican cartels traffic. The difference is that they tend to kill a lot of people in mexico which again makes our news. If we actually posted how many deaths associated with opiate OD's every year as often as we see drug cartel snippets maybe we'd see change.

The second is that illegals are ruining our country. There are plenty of people with their hands out, but there is quite a lot of data to support illegals are nowhere near the reasoning for various budgetary issues. However, many Americans get news from Fox which completely stunts any real world knowledge or common sense.

I have been down to mexico many times, and been around quite a few wonderful people and communities. Surely they are not as developed as the US, but many of the smaller towns(away from tourists areas) are full of great people. Many have simple lives which aren't a country of consumption and the constant rat race.

I would argue that the US has helped keep them in a certain corner based on our "war on drugs". We have made cartels as powerful as they are, not the mexican communities. Had we legalized weed years ago, and even lessened the penalties for other hard drugs the market would be vastly diminished, and so would their power. Instead we have driven so much money into their pockets it has allowed the various cartels to run the country.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,724
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why do you say they are a bad culture? Most americans view of mexicans come from 2 things. Drugs, and the constant rhetoric surrounding illegals in the USA.

The first is truly hilarious b/c of exactly what I posted above. Pharmaceutical drugs are far more damaging on American society today than what mexican cartels traffic. The difference is that they tend to kill a lot of people in mexico which again makes our news. If we actually posted how many deaths associated with opiate OD's every year as often as we see drug cartel snippets maybe we'd see change.

The second is that illegals are ruining our country. There are plenty of people with their hands out, but there is quite a lot of data to support illegals are nowhere near the reasoning for various budgetary issues. However, many Americans get news from Fox which completely stunts any real world knowledge or common sense.

I have been down to mexico many times, and been around quite a few wonderful people and communities. Surely they are not as developed as the US, but many of the smaller towns(away from tourists areas) are full of great people. Many have simple lives which aren't a country of consumption and the constant rat race.

I would argue that the US has helped keep them in a certain corner based on our "war on drugs". We have made cartels as powerful as they are, not the mexican communities. Had we legalized weed years ago, and even lessened the penalties for other hard drugs the market would be vastly diminished, and so would their power. Instead we have driven so much money into their pockets it has allowed the various cartels to run the country.

Faux News lol
    Its our fault

Got it

There are a lot of great Mexican immigrants here legal or otherwise

You might want to take a look around the bored and pm IrishDawg22. He has this place dialed in
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lots of logical fallacies here. All of that means nothing in terms of the argument here.

The question is with such vast resources, both human and natural, why are they such a mess that they are not a first world country? Despite there being "great people" there, is there a cultural issue that is keeping them from prosperity?

world.time.com/2012/07/05/the-challenge-of-mexicos-next-president-the-corruption-at-the-heart-of-crime/
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,476

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Mexico just needs more time.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for the lack of movement within the country? Corruption within cartels and government certainly contribute mightily, but can't be blamed for everything.

Is the infrastructure poorly planned out where intercontinental commerce is preventing growth?

What are mexico's main exports? Have they focused on bringing in various corporations to invest in the country? I know car manufacturers and some electronic companies have recently started movement in Mexico. I can't remember but I believe one of the TV companies manufacturers most of their TV's in the country.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Pharmaceutical drugs are far more damaging on American society today than what mexican cartels traffic.
    You really want to argue that the opiate trade, along with handing a pill out for just about any ailment isn't more damaging long term both financially and healthwise to our society?

CDC’s analysis shows that 38,329 people died from a drug overdose in the United States in 2010, up from 37,004 deaths in 2009. This continues the steady rise in overdose deaths seen over the past 11 years, starting with 16,849 deaths in 1999. Overdose deaths involving opioid analgesics have shown a similar increase. Starting with 4,030 deaths in 1999, the number of deaths increased to 15,597 in 2009 and 16,651 in 2010.

according to surveys by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. Annual overdose deaths attributed to heroin hit 3,094 in 2010

We all know weed is 0.

So 17k people are dying from pain pills, 3k from heroin. Yup, it's really not a pharm issue.

BTW, this is totally off topic and should be a different thread to argue this. Let's get back to the main mexico question of the original poster(and yes i know i went off in that direction first)
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Opening up Pemex to foreign expertise (ideally American companies like Exxon or Chevron) was a start. So was throwing that corrupt nasty who for all intents and purposes ran the country's education system as the head of the teacher's union

Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for the lack of movement within the country? Corruption within cartels and government certainly contribute mightily, but can't be blamed for everything.

Is the infrastructure poorly planned out where intercontinental commerce is preventing growth?

What are mexico's main exports? Have they focused on bringing in various corporations to invest in the country? I know car manufacturers and some electronic companies have recently started movement in Mexico. I can't remember but I believe one of the TV companies manufacturers most of their TV's in the country.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pharmaceutical drugs are far more damaging on American society today than what mexican cartels traffic.
    You really want to argue that the opiate trade, along with handing a pill out for just about any ailment isn't more damaging long term both financially and healthwise to our society?

CDC’s analysis shows that 38,329 people died from a drug overdose in the United States in 2010, up from 37,004 deaths in 2009. This continues the steady rise in overdose deaths seen over the past 11 years, starting with 16,849 deaths in 1999. Overdose deaths involving opioid analgesics have shown a similar increase. Starting with 4,030 deaths in 1999, the number of deaths increased to 15,597 in 2009 and 16,651 in 2010.

according to surveys by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. Annual overdose deaths attributed to heroin hit 3,094 in 2010

We all know weed is 0.

So 17k people are dying from pain pills, 3k from heroin. Yup, it's really not a pharm issue.

BTW, this is totally off topic and should be a different thread to argue this. Let's get back to the main mexico question of the original poster(and yes i know i went off in that direction first)
    Red herring.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,944

Wait until Mexico gets their own guys in here.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wait until Mexico gets their own guys in here.
    Actually, I think the problem might be they do have their own guys in there.