Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

When should Peterman hand the reins over to Jimmy Lake?

1235»

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Before anything else, just make Dabo say no
    dnc said:

Ballz said:

Oregon will win the conference potd

Pup is so fucking retarded it almost hurts

Oregon won't be able to complete a pass against UW and will be shutout 42-0.
    This guy was not dialed in.

Blackeye for @haie and @backthepack chinning/upvoting this too.
    Technically Oregon didn't complete many passes against UW that year.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I wasn't in this thread but I was a big Jimmy guy. Thought he'd be a shit talking big balls Petersen without the stick up his ass

He is yet another exhibit in "it's the head coach"

Huff remains a riddle wrapped inside an enigma. Didn't do great under Pete. Did horrible under Lake. Resurrected under DeBoer

DeBoer > Petersen?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. HNMT to get his Mtn west recruits in before it's certain though.

There's nothing that mysterious about Huff imo. Pete made him look like a good recruiter. A veteran, talented OL room plus the other off-season changes made him look go (bookend NFL tackles are a pretty nice thing) on the field this season.

I never bought that he was horrible. It's just obvious that he's not great and is easily replaceable
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Baseman said:

Ballz said:

Would someone supply the statistics of how the super assistant/coach-in-waiting who everyone wants to see in the succession plan?

I'm hearing that's a great formula for success.

Worked at Oregon with Chip Kelly. As long as the super successful assistant has an alpha personality and is not a little pussy like Helfrich or complete incompetent like Helton, it's a great way to go. It's very rare in college football to have the staff continuity and loyalty that Oregon used to have and UW has now. We want our best assistants who are okay with being assistants forever, to stay here forever. That only happens if UW makes an in-house hire after Petersen and with Lake being the young superstar who's an alpha, a winner, extremely competent teacher, developer, talent evaluator, and recruiter, he would be the best guy for the job. We don't want to be like Bama fans looking at Dabo Sweeney with envy thinking "that was our guy, he's a stud, we should have kept him here and made him the head coach in waiting". Petersen followed by Lake would have Oregon and the rest of the conference fucked for a long, long time.
    Good points but good luck with the Lake scenario. Lake ain't Pete...far from
    He's better than Petersen. Petersen was a whizz kid as an OC and yet as a head coach, his offenses have mostly sucked post-Kellen Moore. Lake is a superstar DC who's defenses as a head coach would continue to dominate here. Lake is also a better recruiter than Petersen. Petersen's strengths are his focus on fundamentals, decision making when hiring assistant coaches, being a good guy to work for which promotes staff continuity and loyalty, and he's good at evaluating talent and decent at recruiting. Lake could do all of that but take recruiting to a higher level. If Jimmy was head coach, we might have guys like Drake Jackson, Stephon Wright, Joe Ngata, and Jeremiah Martin on the roster. Imagine Jimmy's recruiting ability spread out across all positions instead of just DB's. It's a tantalizing thought.

A hearty chortle, every single tim.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

chuck said:

I wasn't in this thread but I was a big Jimmy guy. Thought he'd be a shit talking big balls Petersen without the stick up his ass

Huff remains a riddle wrapped inside an enigma. Didn't do great under Pete. Did horrible under Lake. Resurrected under DeBoer

DeBoer > Petersen?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. HNMT to get his Mtn west recruits in before it's certain though.

There's nothing that mysterious about Huff imo. Pete made him look like a good recruiter. A veteran, talented OL room plus the other off-season changes made him look go (bookend NFL tackles are a pretty nice thing) on the field this season.

I never bought that he was horrible. It's just obvious that he's not great and is easily replaceable
    This is the land of anything other than great means he sucks. No doubt I have posted many times that Huff sucks but that's not really the case as you point out.

There have been games where the O line sucked. Too many of them. It was nice not to have those this year. The worst O line performances were covered up by wins which is nice.

I'm an O line fanatic who hates field goals in the red zone and getting stuffed on short yardage. But again if they win NOGAF

Watching Michigan and Oregon State eviscerate their rival in the 2nd half with the run is my kind of football

Edit to add that watching Penix eviscerate Oregon and WSU in the air was pretty awesome too
    Somewhere in mid season, I'm pretty sure I wrote "Penix sucks, but he's the best we've got," or something similar. Or worse.

Maybe during the ASU debacle when I was drunk and on pain pills. But still.

The whole damn team improved at almost every position during the season and we saw coaches who, for the first time in a long time, didn't seem interested in keeping up appearances, but just coached.

Apparently there's something in the air in South Dakota, that's not in Boise or Cheney.

I seriously hope DeBoer doesn't give a shit about fitting into the Seattle community, whether commuting by boat or carrying a chai soy latte into the locker room.

Fuck it. I hope he buys his coffee at 7-11 and drives a pickup truck to work. That's the coach I want at UW.
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

chuck said:

DeBoer > Petersen?

This is the land of anything other than great means he sucks. No doubt I have posted many times that Huff sucks but that's not really the case as you point out.

There have been games where the O line sucked. Too many of them. It was nice not to have those this year. The worst O line performances were covered up by wins which is nice.

I'm an O line fanatic who hates field goals in the red zone and getting stuffed on short yardage. But again if they win NOGAF

Watching Michigan and Oregon State eviscerate their rival in the 2nd half with the run is my kind of football

Edit to add that watching Penix eviscerate Oregon and WSU in the air was pretty awesome too
    Somewhere in mid season, I'm pretty sure I wrote "Penix sucks, but he's the best we've got," or something similar. Or worse.

The whole damn team improved at almost every position during the season and we saw coaches who, for the first time in a long time, didn't seem interested in keeping up appearances, but just coached.

Apparently there's something in the air in South Dakota, that's not in Boise or Cheney.

I seriously hope DeBoer doesn't give a shit about fitting into the Seattle community, whether commuting by boat or carrying a chai soy latte into the locker room.

Fuck it. I hope he buys his coffee at 7-11 and drives a pickup truck to work. That's the coach I want at UW.
    https://preview.redd.it/xwkix6c1fyi41.jpg?auto=webp&s=5ef99e8ff920521da9a5c8c5cc5438f341279c9d

Saw KDB pull in today when I was dropping off roses for the janitors
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

chuck said:

DeBoer > Petersen?

https://preview.redd.it/xwkix6c1fyi41.jpg?auto=webp&s=5ef99e8ff920521da9a5c8c5cc5438f341279c9d

Saw KDB pull in today when I was dropping off roses for the janitors
    Fuckin'-A-Dawg!
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,467
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    da fuq Stalin?

I forgot about making this meme. Time flies
    Founders Club
    da fuq Stalin?

Meek said:

I’m not a Jimmy Lake for pres guy. How about we just have the guy who is there now get his head out of his ass?

although i want to agree with you, i think Pete hates some of the key parts of the job such that he will never do them (or get his head out of his ass in your vernacular). I fear the fun parts of the program (Spring game, access to practices, etc) and upscaling the recruiting tactics will never change because he doesn't care to do them.
    He very well may choose to never change in those regards. He can keep the current trajectory and retire whenever he wants and we'll still build a statue for him. The bottom line is that the only pressure that can cause Pete to pivot in a way that ascends this program to an elite level will have to come from within. He has us by the balls whether you like it or not.

And everyone needs to shut the fuck up about Jimmy Lake. He certainly wouldn't be the first all-world assistant coach to fall flat on his face. A vast majority of head coaches are abject failures. Lake is destined to be in that same camp until he's not.
    Dialed in
    Founders Club
    da fuq Stalin?
    Gladstone said:

Time to put the puppy out to pasture.

Not so fast, my friends
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Never! I want Pete to coach until he's 90
    <
    haie said:

dnc said:

Ballz said:

I
    24 completions, 280 yards, 35 points, the W…that Ballz doogasm was very far from reality, sadly.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

chuck said:

DeBoer > Petersen?

He drives a soccer mom hyundai suv, sorry to burst your bubble.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Before anything else, just make Dabo say no
    dnc said:

<

haie said:

dnc said:

Ballz said:

I
    24 completions, 280 yards, 35 points, the W…that Ballz doogasm was very far from reality, sadly.
    That game was much more painful than the 2018 debacle.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,264
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

DeBoer > Petersen?

Stay fat, coach, POTD.