Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Metallica off the top rope from out of nowhere

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,913
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

People still play this kind of music?

Yes, and nobody plays Beatles or Stones anymore.
    The Beatles have sold a lot more records since 1990 than Metallica.

And for the record, I own all of the first 4 Metallica albums on compact disc or vinyl.
    All good and well, but I'm talking about musical style. I'm also guessing those Beatles albums aren't selling to many under-50 year olds in 2022. Call me crazy.

I know that at some point we all stop paying attention to the new stuff and are stuck living in the past.
    Classic rock has made a resurgence. I don't know who buys music anymore, but I know there are a lot of yutes with increasing interest in the roots of all the subgenres of pop music and rock in particular.
    I agree but to add to what you've said, I think some Gen Z types are realizing that what is being produced today is mostly sub-par. I read something a few months ago about how as Nixon took us off the gold standard and the USD began to erode with inflation, so too has our American culture eroded as reflected in movies, music, comedy, etc.

While I'm not a huge fan of 70s rock (though I'm getting there), I can recognize that there is substance there that is lacking in the past 15-20 years.

Off the top of my head, I think music's most recent golden era was 1985-1998. Somewhere in there.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,913
    Founders Club

@Swaye 's silence in this thread is deafening

He's working 16 hour days spraying at Jefferson's Monticello. Cut the poor guy some slack.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Best metal band ever. Still killing it in their 50's. Does this new song stack up to 1981-1989 Metallica? Of course not. But it's still pretty good for a bunch of old dudes.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,107
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Best metal band ever. Still killing it in their 50's. Does this new song stack up to 1981-1989 Metallica? Of course not. But it's still pretty good for a bunch of old dudes.

I could hear about five different Metallica songs in it. There’s a part after the solo that I keep wanting to finish it on my head with a riff from Helpless
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

People still play this kind of music?

Yes, and nobody plays Beatles or Stones anymore.
    The Beatles have sold a lot more records since 1990 than Metallica.

And for the record, I own all of the first 4 Metallica albums on compact disc or vinyl.
    All good and well, but I'm talking about musical style. I'm also guessing those Beatles albums aren't selling to many under-50 year olds in 2022. Call me crazy.

I know that at some point we all stop paying attention to the new stuff and are stuck living in the past.
    Classic rock has made a resurgence. I don't know who buys music anymore, but I know there are a lot of yutes with increasing interest in the roots of all the subgenres of pop music and rock in particular.
    I agree but to add to what you've said, I think some Gen Z types are realizing that what is being produced today is mostly sub-par. I read something a few months ago about how as Nixon took us off the gold standard and the USD began to erode with inflation, so too has our American culture eroded as reflected in movies, music, comedy, etc.

While I'm not a huge fan of 70s rock (though I'm getting there), I can recognize that there is substance there that is lacking in the past 15-20 years.

Off the top of my head, I think music's most recent golden era was 1985-1998. Somewhere in there.
    There's also a new appreciation for artists that play instruments and write songs. They also recognize the influences that led to rock going in so many directions. Finally they realize that virtually nobody does it anymore and most of the digitally barfed out shit they hear now doesn't stack up in terms of artistry and talent.

I think it's pretty cool.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pre-sale for the 2024 tour dates in Seattle started today.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The voice box killed the video star who killed the radio star

When any dumbass can go into the basement and produce a song that sounds like every other song NOC

Not to be confused with real people using real instruments in a real garage to make a unique sound. Like Buddy Holly and the Crickets. People forget that a real cricket was in their garage

Chuck makes a good point here
  • Options
    Founders Club
    It’s Hit the Lights meets Overkill (Motörhead)
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Great Motorhead pull. You can really hear the influence heavy.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

It’s the drum beat
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,855
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    alumni94 said:
    Rock is dead, man. Some old geezers doing technically proficient shredding ain't gonna change that.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

It’s the drum beat

alumni94 said:
    Rock is dead, man. Some old geezers doing technically proficient shredding ain't gonna change that.
    You’re sort of right. The bands from my generation, once they are gone rock is dead.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The original My Generation wanted to die before they got old

Well Townshend and Daltry ain't dead yet

And that song still rocks at almost 60 years old
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Rock's not dead - Yella is just too old to find it any more. My kid tells me my music is stale and sends me CDs to play in my truck of new bands and there are some pretty good new rock/metal/thrash bands out there right now.

Since I'm a geezer, though, I scored GA tickets to the Metallica/Pantera/5 Finger Death Punch show so I can pretend it's 1992 and life kicks ass.

Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll ain't gonna die. Rock and roll ain't no pollution, rock and roll it will survive.

JFC @dflea ! Rock is dead. Let it go midget fish fucker, geezer.

Yes, there have been many great rock albums by new artists released in the past 10- 15 years. I own many of them and have seen many of these artists live.

But these artists aren't creating anything new and different than what came before. Rock as a genre is a senior citizen and the great new ideas have all been done. It doesn't dominate the culture or sales the way it did from its inception through the 1990s.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The original My Generation wanted to die before they got old

Well Townshend and Daltry ain't dead yet

And that song still rocks at almost 60 years old

No one here loves the Who more than Yella.

They haven't recorded worthwhile new music in 40 years. Eminence Front was 1982.

The Who are a nostalgia act.

• Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220

dflea said:

Rock's not dead - Yella is just too old to find it any more. My kid tells me my music is stale and sends me CDs to play in my truck of new bands and there are some pretty good new rock/metal/thrash bands out there right now.

Since I'm a geezer, though, I scored GA tickets to the Metallica/Pantera/5 Finger Death Punch show so I can pretend it's 1992 and life kicks ass.

Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll ain't gonna die. Rock and roll ain't no pollution, rock and roll it will survive.

Yes, there have been many great rock albums by new artists released in the past 10- 15 years. I own many of them and have seen many of these artists live.

But these artists aren't creating anything new and different than what came before. Rock as a genre is a senior citizen and the great new ideas have all been done. It doesn't dominate the culture or sales the way it did from its inception through the 1990s.
    Dominating culture and selling albums isn't what rock and roll is about anyway, so I don't care too much about that. Usually things get worse when more people like it, not better. You wind up with hair metal crap like Poison instead of Black Sabbath, or Cinderella instead of Judas Priest.

I like a good guitar riff as much as I ever did, so I have no interest in finding another genre of music, regardless what the people want. Bands still make new songs that kick ass.

You can wait around for rock to die if you want, but I'm betting it's going to outlast both of us. Maybe not Race, but us for sure.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    dflea said:

dflea said:

Dominating culture and selling albums isn't what rock and roll is about anyway, so I don't care too much about that. Usually things get worse when more people like it, not better. You wind up with hair metal crap like Poison instead of Black Sabbath, or Cinderella instead of Judas Priest.

I like a good guitar riff as much as I ever did, so I have no interest in finding another genre of music, regardless what the people want. Bands still make new songs that kick ass.

You can wait around for rock to die if you want, but I'm betting it's going to outlast both of us. Maybe not Race, but us for sure.
    The heck it's not. Zep, Beatles, AC DC, Stones, Who, Nirvana, Metallica, all culturally dominated and sold a shit ton of records to boot.

The critics may have hated on some of these groups (initially) but they were still culturally dominant.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

dflea said:

How is that different than any other form of music at this point?

I will be at both nights of Metallica in 2024, assuming I'm still alive and living in the shithole state of Washington.