Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Mel Tucker quandry

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,397
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Mel went 11-2 and got the big extension. Turns out the money would have been better spent on keeping Kenneth Walker there

DeBoer beats Tucker and could possibly go 11-2 himself coming off 4-8

Does UW spend the money on DeBoer or Penix?

Why not both?

DeBoer has been under the radar with Lamboing and Reilly getting the pub.

Is college football still insane or can we see how DeBoer does in year 2 before giving him 100 million?

First world problem

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,570
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited November 2022
    You pay him in that scenario. Any other take is fucking insane and FS

11-2 in your inaugural year is commendable. DeBoer is a winner at every location he has been at. He hasnt once sucked.

Could he still pull a Tucker? Doubtful, odds are very very low. You take the risk.

UW has resources but needs a strong football program to fund Title IX sports. Upper campus might look down at football but they aren't completely naive.

Pay DeBoer, pay the players, win NY6 and playoff games, beat Oregon.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How many huge contracts given after year 1 have panned out across cfb? Is it none? Say what you want about the UW administration but I don't think they're blinded to reason by a few wins. I agree they should pony up more assistants money this year to keep the good one and run the bad ones then tell Deboer to do it twice and they'll be nice
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is why the domestic terrorists hate us

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,948
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Who's in the market for DeBoer after 1 year? Nebraska?

Didn't Tucker have a connection to MSU? He was a grad assistant there.

Just trying to get a sense of how strong the market is for a 1 year of Power 5 experience DeBoer.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tucker also had the SEC Georgia shine and was hailed as a big-time recruiter for pulling guys to Colorado in his one season and understanding the bag game.

For a school like MSU that is probably 5th in line at best for recruits in the conference (7th with UCLA and SC incoming), they fell prey to the recruiter>coach trap
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    i just hope sparty gives tucker one more year to get his guys in there.

after that, sparty, do as you must.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm also hesitant this early. I'd rather see evidence he's willing and able to make needed changes.

On the other hand, extending with a reasonable increase for a couple of years wouldn't scare me. If he's a championship coach by the time the extension is kicking in you negotiate another one.

If that's not enough to keep him then...next up. Something like what MSU did would piss me off.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,903
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Just trying to get a sense of how strong the market is for a 1 year of Power 5 experience DeBoer.

Tucker was getting lots of mentions for other bigger jobs. It was probably his agent who was mentioning him but I remember that being a big part of their reason for that contract.

TL,DR version. MSU got played.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,267
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'd like to see one more year and an up tick in recruiting, and, of course, adjustment on the defensive side of ball. DeBoner is worth the money with a proven track record on offense, however, the defensive side needs to be solidified before long term deals are reached

I'm not sure that the coaching staff needs to be gutted on defense, if we had Sydney Jones, Buddha, and early Azeem back there, we would not be questioning coaching. They need to level up the talent because alot of defensive schemes are only successful with instinctive athletic players.
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

The next two weeks will be chinteresting imo. Doesn’t seem to be the type of guy “to play the game” and leverage every last rumor (aka Jimmy Pond). But, there’s never been a better time for The Rumor than fresh off the heels of a program building W, on the road, in Autzen. LIPO, don’t think anything will materialize at all, but if there’s going to be any smoke I’d think it happens soon.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,534
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's difficult. Even if Deboer gets to 10-2 and blows out Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, I'm concerned if they can't level up their recruiting and especially portal recruiting. I don't know how, especially on offense, they can't be appealing to transfers with how the offense looks.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022

It's difficult. Even if Deboer gets to 10-2 and blows out Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, I'm concerned if they can't level up their recruiting and especially portal recruiting. I don't know how, especially on offense, they can't be appealing to transfers with how the offense looks.

He hasn't had a chance to recruit or work the portal yet with anything from UW on his resume. *We were 4-2 and looking pretty bad just a few short weeks ago too. 8-2 isn't impressing anyone. 10-2 would though, and that's attainable before it matters.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dannarc said:

I'd like to see one more year and an up tick in recruiting, and, of course, adjustment on the defensive side of ball. DeBoner is worth the money with a proven track record on offense, however, the defensive side needs to be solidified before long term deals are reached

I'm not sure that the coaching staff needs to be gutted on defense, if we had Sydney Jones, Buddha, and early Azeem back there, we would not be questioning coaching. They need to level up the talent because alot of defensive schemes are only successful with instinctive athletic players.

We whiffed on too many blue chips in 2019 on defense. But it looks like Oregon whiffed as well.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,267
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    In today's game, for as fast as a unit(defense) can collapse, it can also rise just as quickly with a couple key players. A good example is Asa, could/should be a major disruptor in the backfield, but he takes bad angles, gets juked out of his shoes and is a liability, whereas if we had Earl Thomas 7.0 back there for insurance, then we would be singing a different tune.

The Doog in me says, our DL is greatly improved but needs depth and believe the Parker bros will add that, we will add a couple pieces to secondary and everything will be jolly. Losing our Big Penix and replacing him with a game changer QB will be biggest challenge, that, and having a good RB
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    All coaches deserve to be fired