Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Premium content from Griswold: Jen has never been on anything less than firm footing

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

The hope list, and first calls went to:

Fickell and Aranda. A Big-10 assistant sent me a text that UW offered Fickell $7M for 7. Clearly his source was Fickell's agent whose agency also rep's said assistant. When word leaks that early, the agent has floated the offer, making a market for his guy. When this happens, Next. No harm no foul. Aranda was also contacted and immediately shut them down.

Jen's first choice was Clawson. She saw him as the CFB Billy Beane, a coach who could build a program without NIL and win by out scheming opponents, Pete?. Moneyball was a cute story but last I checked the A's can't win the big one. Moreover, they're a shit home draw. Right there, that tells you the mindset. "More" with less. Overachieve and overcharge at the gate, draw em in with fancy light shows, purple smoke and a game-break playlist that screams a Nickelback track lurks somewhere in the shuffle.

Jen thought Clawson was in only to learn his wife tubed the deal. Anyone who ever sold for a living understands when the prospect says they have to check with the wife, the deal is dead.

Next, Campbell. He beat Oregon! Less is more. Feel good guy. And so on so forth. Yes, again Jen thought Campbell was in. The courtship drug on and Jen was clearly played. Cucked, more like it.

Meanwhile DeBoner, with the most promising pedigree of the above, IMO, lingered and we got a coach.

This isn't that bad of a coaching search for the AD to have ran. All names would have been good to great except for Campbell, IMO
    No problem reaching out to Fickell and Aranada. Why not Lincoln Riley? Take his tempature. Didn't happen. Find the infatuation with Clawson and Campbell disturbing. Both perceived as doing less with more. Jen gets lost in the weeds with gimmicks rather than basics.

@DerekJohnson knows deets
    Would you actually want Lincoln Riley here? My hope is that they didn't call him because they didn't want to give $100 million to a guy who's never coached a competent defense in his life.

Maybe it happened by accident and only because she failed with her first choices, but isn't what happened pretty much ideal? Making a coach actually earn it on the field before mortgaging the AD to pay him?
    Gun to my head I'd say Clawson does better at UW than Lincoln Riley.

Riley is only coaching at schools that drop big bags in NIL
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,061
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2022

dtd said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Fickell and Aranda. A Big-10 assistant sent me a text that UW offered Fickell $7M for 7. Clearly his source was Fickell's agent whose agency also rep's said assistant. When word leaks that early, the agent has floated the offer, making a market for his guy. When this happens, Next. No harm no foul. Aranda was also contacted and immediately shut them down.

Jen's first choice was Clawson. She saw him as the CFB Billy Beane, a coach who could build a program without NIL and win by out scheming opponents, Pete?. Moneyball was a cute story but last I checked the A's can't win the big one. Moreover, they're a shit home draw. Right there, that tells you the mindset. "More" with less. Overachieve and overcharge at the gate, draw em in with fancy light shows, purple smoke and a game-break playlist that screams a Nickelback track lurks somewhere in the shuffle.

Jen thought Clawson was in only to learn his wife tubed the deal. Anyone who ever sold for a living understands when the prospect says they have to check with the wife, the deal is dead.

Next, Campbell. He beat Oregon! Less is more. Feel good guy. And so on so forth. Yes, again Jen thought Campbell was in. The courtship drug on and Jen was clearly played. Cucked, more like it.

Meanwhile DeBoner, with the most promising pedigree of the above, IMO, lingered and we got a coach.

This isn't that bad of a coaching search for the AD to have ran. All names would have been good to great except for Campbell, IMO
    No problem reaching out to Fickell and Aranada. Why not Lincoln Riley? Take his tempature. Didn't happen. Find the infatuation with Clawson and Campbell disturbing. Both perceived as doing less with more. Jen gets lost in the weeds with gimmicks rather than basics.

Would you actually want Lincoln Riley here? My hope is that they didn't call him because they didn't want to give $100 million to a guy who's never coached a competent defense in his life.

Maybe it happened by accident and only because she failed with her first choices, but isn't what happened pretty much ideal? Making a coach actually earn it on the field before mortgaging the AD to pay him?
    We've gone from we? didn't want Matt Campbell to we didn't want Lincoln Riley? It's a bit much.

I've always been team *we? didn't get Bob Stoops

his wife likes the San Juan's for fucks sake
    Word, same. That was actually my first thought.

Found it! https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/comment/1605105#Comment_1605105
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

You make the call, see if he's interested and if so, his number. If nothing else, it helps determine the market. Whatever. Jen is small time. She worries more about game day experience instead of the product on the field. The students didn't suddenly pack the stands and make noise to hear Party in the USA. The team entered Saturday night 3-0 and is fun to watch. Amazing how this attracts fans and keeps them in the seats.
    This. Jen acted small time and got treated small time.

It wasn't the W or L in the coaching hire. It was the sloppy offense full of personal fouls, illegal motions, and offsides penalties.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dtd said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

We've gone from we? didn't want Matt Campbell to we didn't want Lincoln Riley? It's a bit much.

I've always been team *we? didn't get Bob Stoops

his wife likes the San Juan's for fucks sake
    It was cool when Stoops seemed to be a possibility. That would've been the most surprising and intriguing hire in my memory.

Speaking of surprising hires, who would have connected Riley to any openings before we heard about it in the news? I mean who among fans, not athletic departments. It was part of Cohen's job to know. I'd venture that nobody here thought of him though, so there never was a WDWHA movement.
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

@FireCohen
    @Cohen12
    @FireFireCohen
    @FireTheJanitor
    @SaveTheLeopards

"That's silly. The president is in her corner. And always has been."

Also hearing Jen is firmly in Will Conroy's corner should Hop go back to Syracuse when Boeheim retires.

Note: For Dawgman subscribers only. Please honor Ken's request to not to copy or reprint.

Have to say this is my proudest moment in my early HardcoreHusky career (compared to most of you losers). Getting tagged in a post about the cancer that is our AD is something I didn’t see coming so soon. Honored to be here, hope they take my suggestions for the PPatch name (I call it THE ZONE, ILTCIT).
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Yes, one of the things that bothers me about Jen is that she will make public statements like "money is no object", when in fact it is very much an issue. Just like when she asks the public "Are you all in?" but she isn't willing to try to go BIG TIME. She can get Nordstrom family members to buy out Jimmy for $10 million but she can't/won't try to utilize them to go big time.

The one thing I'll say in Jen's defense is that I would have been very happy with Aranda, even though there was little to no chance. And she did try to reach out to him.

All that being said, I'm on the verge of being thrilled that DeBoer is here.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    whlinder said:

Jen got blindsided that USC and UCLA went to the B1G.

That alone is a fireable offense.

I'm no fan of Jen Cohen, but how is that specifically her fault and a fireable offense?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

The real Jen Cohen is incarcerated at Guantanamo Bay. The one Grinolds thinks is on firm footing is a clone developed in Bagley Hall by a biochemistry grad student.

link?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited September 2022
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

I'm no fan of Jen Cohen, but how is that specifically her fault and a fireable offense?
    Her responsibility is to anticipate the shifting of the tectonic plates of college football and position UW accordingly. She has to know the value of each school to the conference and ensure the ones which matter are taken care of, OR make sure UW is the first one off the HMS PAC 12 Titanic into the life raft of the B1G with USC.
    that's an interesting thought. Mike Lude would have been tipped off ahead of time for sure. Jen doesn't have those kinds of connections.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

grinch is the valedictorian of the steve sarkisian failing upwards school.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    TheHB said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Her responsibility is to anticipate the shifting of the tectonic plates of college football and position UW accordingly. She has to know the value of each school to the conference and ensure the ones which matter are taken care of, OR make sure UW is the first one off the HMS PAC 12 Titanic into the life raft of the B1G with USC.
    that's an interesting thought. Mike Lude would have been tipped off ahead of time for sure. Jen doesn't have those kinds of connections.
    That is her fault. If there is one thing a capable AD needs to have, it’s connections.
    It's not necessarily her fault. It's the fault of UW's "Hire the best available person already on payroll" mentality. Of course she has no connections. She should have never had the gig in the first place.

FYFMFE
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    LawDawg1 said:

dnc said:

TheHB said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

That is her fault. If there is one thing a capable AD needs to have, it’s connections.
    It's not necessarily her fault. It's the fault of UW's "Hire the best available person already on payroll" mentality. Of course she has no connections. She should have never had the gig in the first place.

FYFMFE
    Fuck off! Jen Cohen had THE BEST connections!!!

GO DAWGS!
  • Options
    SkipBoydSkipBoyd Member Posts: 403
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    LawDawg1 said:

dnc said:

TheHB said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

FYFMFE
    Fuck off! Jen Cohen had THE BEST connections!!!

Gotta love DJ’s Sansa-belt slacks.