Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

It’s that time of the year..

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
edited September 2022 in Hardcore Husky Board
Fat fucks wearing cargo shorts, crocs/flip flops and sloppy looking NFL jerseys with other mens names on the back.

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,502 Swaye's Wigwam
    Ever heard of "football season" before?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited September 2022

Sounds like you’re a cargo shorts , flip flops, sloppy jersey with another dudes name on it guy. I don’t know, maybe it’s not possible to be an NFL fan without those things. Staff?
    LawDawg1 said:

New content is the lifeblood of Husky Hardcore forum and we greatly appreciate all of you who announce breaking news, share articles from other sources, and create original postings.

Thank you for your contributions in helping make HH thrive.

It is imperative that we maintain very high quality standards in this forum. Your words are scrutinized and judged by readers—throughout Washington, from coast to coast, and around the globe--and every post is important. With this in mind, please observe the following tips and guidelines, especially if you start new topics.

To help facilitate the viewing and learning of these guidelines, we will republish them at regular intervals.

How to create a good headline

Creating a newsworthy title for your topic is essential. In essence, your title serves the identical purpose as a newspaper headline. Therefore, we will use the term headline rather than title.

You’ve taken the time and expended the effort to create a new topic, so now you want a great many people to read what you’re posting. The cold, hard truth is that if you write a poor headline, you’re going to get poor readership. Fewer people will click on your headline.

The encouraging news is that it’s not difficult to write a good headline. Basically, your headline simply needs to tell readers what’s in your post. Don’t be cutesy or clever. Do be definitive. And informative. And factual.

Broadly, your headline and entire post should follow Associated Press style. There are quick reference guides online and it is advisable to familiarize yourself with AP style.

HH moderators often edit headlines to make them more newsworthy and specific—your headline should define what your post is about. Don’t make your readers guess about what your headline means. Show them the courtesy of giving them no-nonsense information.

Why good headlines are important

Remember, as a creator of content, your first responsibility is to your readers. We must always value and respect readers by doing our best to inform, entertain, and inspire them.

Good headlines convey key information and therefore save readers’ time.

Good headlines make it easier for readers to select posts that appeal to them.

Good headlines elevate the quality of the website.

Good headlines enhance the overall standing of the website in Google Analytics. If you create quality content and write good headlines, you increase the chances that web surfers will find their way to the forum and become new readers and possibly new members of the community.

Rules for writing quality headlines

Avoid “cute” or “clever” headlines that tease the reader without conveying definitive information. Those kinds of headlines generally frustrate and annoy readers.

When referring to the Washington Huskies in a headline, it is not necessary to include “Washington.” It is assumed that “Huskies” or “Dwags”” refers to the Washington Huskies.

Preferred: Ducks Lose
    Not preferred: Oregon Ducks Win

In headlines, use single-quotation marks, not double-quotation marks. This is AP Style for headline writing.

Correct: Lanning: ‘Our Goal is a Championship’
    Incorrect: Lanning: “Our Goal is a Championship”

In the post itself, use double-quotation marks as you normally would in everyday writing. In headlines, use single-quotation marks.

Pac-12 is hyphenated.

Correct: Pac-12
    Incorrect: Pac 12
    Incorrect: PAC

In headline writing, the word “the” can usually be omitted.

Preferred: Huskies Lose Game
    Not preferred: Huskies Lose the Game

In headline writing, the word “and” can often be replaced with a comma.

Preferred: Oregon, Alabama Play for Title
    Not preferred: Oregon and Alabama Play for Title

Know the difference between a hyphen and a dash. A hyphen joins two words together to create an adjective or a noun.

Hyphen example: Ducks Passing-Yardage Stats for 2021
    The hyphen connects “Passing” and “Yardage”, creating an adjective to modify “Stats”

Connecting these two words makes the headline easier to understand. Without the hyphen, the headline would read: Ducks Passing Yardage Stats for 2021

A dash interrupts a thought or creates emphasis. Create a dash by typing two hyphens—with no spaces before or after.

Dash, correct example: Breaking News—USC, UCLA to Leave Pac-12
    Dash, correct example: George Kliavkoff—Completely Blindsided?
    Dash, incorrect example: Breaking News - USC, UCLA to Leave Pac-12
    Dash, incorrect example: Breaking News -- USC, UCLA to Leave Pac-12

Important reminder: Close up those spaces when using dashes—and use two hyphens for a dash, not one

Capitalize all words in a headline, except for small words like “a,” “an,” “it,” “for,” etc.

An ellipsis is three dots only, not four, not five: …

In a headline, an ellipsis leads one idea to another.
    Ellipsis, correct example: Canzano: Pac-12 + Big 12 Doesn’t Work…On to the ACC

Here’s one way to remember the three-dot rule of an ellipsis: an ellipsis is also referred to as a “dot-dot-dot.”

Use exclamation points sparingly or not at all.
    NEVER use double exclamation points.
    Overusing exclamation points makes content look amateurish.

Limit your headline to one line. If it extends to a second line, cut words from it.

Avoid common writing errors

We’re limiting the discussion to three common errors.

No. 1
    Perhaps the most common error is the misuse of “it's” and “its.”

According to Merriam-Webster, It’s is a contraction and should be used where a sentence would normally read “it is.”

The apostrophe indicates that part of a word has been removed.

Its with no apostrophe, on the other hand, is the possessive word, like “his” and “her” for nouns without gender. For example, “The sun was so bright, its rays blinded me.”

Continuing to quote from Merriam-Webster: The rule is actually pretty simple: use the apostrophe after it only when part of a word has been removed: it’s raining means it is raining; it’s been warm means it has been warm. It’s is a contraction, in the style of can’t for cannot and she’s for she is.

No. 2
    A quick reference on properly using you’re and your.

You’re is a contraction for you are.
    Correct: You’re welcome, which is short for you are welcome.
    Incorrect: Your welcome.

Your indicates possession, as in your car, your house, your success.

No. 3
    A quick reference on properly using they’re, there, and their.

They’re is a contraction of they are. Example: They’re running late.
    There indicates place. Example: The book is there on the table.
    Their indicates possession. Example: Their car is brand new.

And an added reminder…Please do not misspell names.

Former coach Chris Petersen frequently had his name wrongly spelled as “Peterson.” In the days before the Internet, it was somewhat understandable when names were misspelled.

Today, there is no excuse for misspelling names. It takes just a few seconds to check the spelling of someone’s name online.

If you’re unsure of the spelling of any word, please consult one of many online dictionaries.

Is it really a big deal if just one or two words are misspelled in a post? After all, nobody’s perfect; we’re not English experts--we’re college football fans.

But yes, it’s a big deal. Using words correctly—proper grammar, error-free spelling, cogent writing—makes your discussions credible and respectable. Conversely, content that is rife with mistakes is not taken seriously. When you receive mail in which your name is misspelled, where do you file that mail? Mostly likely, in the garbage.

In closing, two important ways to respect readers.

1. Break up blocks of text to make your posts easier to read and comprehend. Try to limit paragraphs to three lines. Never post blocks of text longer than four lines.

2. You should not have any extra spaces after the final period in your post. To ensure that your post does not feature extra empty spaces or lines, use the backspace key to erase any possible extra spaces.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind attention. And once again, thank you for your positive contributions to making HH forum one of the very best.

As previously stated, to facilitate maximum learning of these guidelines, they will be republished at regular intervals.

If you have questions or comments, please feel free to post them in this thread.

I’m doing the Lords work here
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,502 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

Sounds like you’re a cargo shorts , flip flops, sloppy jersey with another dudes name on it guy. I don’t know, maybe it’s not possible to be an NFL fan without those things. Staff?

Sounds like you THINK and CARE

Sounds like you THINK and CARE
    Don't be offended
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,000 Founders Club
    When I bought the lil’ pisses matching Herbert Charger jerseys recently, I said the jersey phase has to end on or before the 16th birthday.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,363

Fat fucks wearing cargo shorts, crocs/flip flops and sloppy looking NFL jerseys with other mens names on the back.

You aren’t wrong, but UW has one of the softest wine and cheese crowd I’ve ever been around. Blue hairs listening to the call with the Cuba Goodint radio head sets with their wife knitting during the game.

Maybe ten years ago there was the smell of weed and over half of the crowd in my general vicinity was visible butthurt. It’s a trade off. I guess the Husky crowd is slightly less annoying.
    You should have been there in the late 80's through mid 90's. Fights would break out during apple cup/whoregon games, smell of weed, whole sections buzzed from dudes bringing in booze. We would talk shit to everyone, except the little old lady knitting. We have some of the finest wine and cheese in the country now, stay classy my fren
    dannarc said:

You aren’t wrong, but UW has one of the softest wine and cheese crowd I’ve ever been around. Blue hairs listening to the call with the Cuba Goodint radio head sets with their wife knitting during the game.

Maybe ten years ago there was the smell of weed and over half of the crowd in my general vicinity was visible butthurt. It’s a trade off. I guess the Husky crowd is slightly less annoying.
    You should have been there in the late 80's through mid 90's. Fights would break out during apple cup/whoregon games, smell of weed, whole sections buzzed from dudes bringing in booze. We would talk shit to everyone, except the little old lady knitting. We have some of the finest wine and cheese in the country now, stay classy my fren
    In 50+ years the only time i say knitting was at BYU

Blue hairs this and that blah blah blah. What's most annoying now is fucking millennials and Gen Z who have their face buried in their god damn phone all game. If not taking selfies and engrossed in their phone, they are chit chatting with everyone within 6 feet.

For every annoying old lady listening to a radio broadcast, there has to be 10,000 people in their phone.

Yesterday in my section younger people started showing up toward the end of the 1st quarter. Not weed smoking trash talkers who were getting hammered at a tailgate prior. Mostly people who didn't give a fuck. People with babies wearing huge ear muffs with mom texting non stop. People who took 15 minutes trying to get to their seat. Figuring out at some point they were in the wrong section. Some actually sprawled out over 2-3 seats. Etc.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,785
    Sounds like America!
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,363

dannarc said:

If not taking selfies and engrossed in their phone, they are chit chatting with everyone within 6 feet.

Not following social distancing protocol! WE ARE BACK!!!1!!>11!!!!

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,543 Founders Club

dannarc said:

Blue hairs this and that blah blah blah. What's most annoying now is fucking millennials and Gen Z who have their face buried in their god damn phone all game. If not taking selfies and engrossed in their phone, they are chit chatting with everyone within 6 feet.

For every annoying old lady listening to a radio broadcast, there has to be 10,000 people in their phone.

Yesterday in my section younger people started showing up toward the end of the 1st quarter. Not weed smoking trash talkers who were getting hammered at a tailgate prior. Mostly people who didn't give a fuck. People with babies wearing huge ear muffs with mom texting non stop. People who took 15 minutes trying to get to their seat. Figuring out at some point they were in the wrong section. Some actually sprawled out over 2-3 seats. Etc.
    What kind of an idiot brings a baby to a football game?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,188

dannarc said:

Probably the only 1 pm kick all year, cheap secondary market tickets. Only chance for parents with young kids to make a game. Why do you think I went?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,000 Founders Club
    My Bolts are rich, cool and 1-0. Might need to violate my prohibition and buy a jersey.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,188
    Jerseys are fine if you're watching or attending a game. Wearing it to go grocery shopping is embarrassing.

This is like the retarded argument about going to a concert and not wearing a shirt of the band you're seeing perform.

dannarc said:

Millennial
    edited September 2022

Jerseys are fine if you're watching or attending a game. Wearing it to go grocery shopping is embarrassing.

This is like the retarded argument about going to a concert and not wearing a shirt of the band you're seeing perform.

You’re confusing regular shirts with the team/band on it with oversized sloppy looking jerseys with players names on the back. GAF

There are lots of good looking t shirts, sweatshirts and things for every team. Jerseys are weird and childish