Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Question for the bored

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

Yeah I definitely recognize the malarkey keeps the machine running I just mean there could be an emphasis on not squashing legitimate discussion when it does come up and possibly give it a more established platform somehow. I guarantee there are people who have popped in here over the years looking for husky football talk get turned off by the ratio of nonsense.

For me it was noticeable a few years ago when some posters left for their own site because alot of them were bringing interesting football discussions and recruiting. Obviously their formula (and website itself) was a train wreck but now there's a discord channel funneling in people desperate for a cohesive husky football outlet and I just find it a shame that this site isn't where people are landing.

Are you saying the discord channel is growing and flourishing? I haven't been over there since late last year. Either way, good luck to them.

Your words are very similar to what Chest was telling me back in 2014-15. He said if I didn't cut out the swearing and malarkey then the site would collapse. But at our peak, which was following the 2019 Rose Bowl, we were at 2 million page views a month. So our formula does work.

Compared to August of 2021, our traffic right now is down about 45%, but donations are down 15%. So that came as a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Yeah I definitely recognize the malarkey keeps the machine running I just mean there could be an emphasis on not squashing legitimate discussion when it does come up and possibly give it a more established platform somehow. I guarantee there are people who have popped in here over the years looking for husky football talk get turned off by the ratio of nonsense.

For me it was noticeable a few years ago when some posters left for their own site because alot of them were bringing interesting football discussions and recruiting. Obviously their formula (and website itself) was a train wreck but now there's a discord channel funneling in people desperate for a cohesive husky football outlet and I just find it a shame that this site isn't where people are landing.

Are you saying the discord channel is growing and flourishing? I haven't been over there since late last year. Either way, good luck to them.

Your words are very similar to what Chest was telling me back in 2014-15. He said if I didn't cut out the swearing and malarkey then the site would collapse. But at our peak, which was following the 2019 Rose Bowl, we were at 2 million page views a month. So our formula does work.

Compared to August of 2021, our traffic right now is down about 45%, but donations are down 15%. So that came as a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback.
    There seems to be quite the contingent on the discord but it's a terrible platform imo.

I think you can keep everything that's here while nourishing more, that's all. Thanks for listening to a relative newby
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2022
    Canadawg said:

Please to be providing examples of actual cause and effect. Sure people left but maybe because they could not take legitimate criticism.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,878
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

I get why there are vote buttons for posts but I would hazard a guess that if they were taken away there would be more comments in general and less pandering posts and comments

Can you give me general examples of the pandering you're talking about? I don't see much pandering going on, except maybe in the Tug Tavern a little.
    Hard to come up with examples but I meant jokes people know will get chins and likes. It's a quick high but doesn't add substance to the site and clogs up discussion. 81st time type jokes, pea patch complaints and nonsense puppy stories have a place I'm sure but would be nice to talk football sometimes. Maybe a "Serious Football Thread" of some type would be worth trying?
    It's Puppy, Yomasturbates, his other alias, and Bill. Roaddawg is potential. Sorry.
  • Options
    StateChampWereUStateChampWereU Member Posts: 39
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    I just hope once the season starts it will be more about football than malarkey. Likely wont' be though. I think Canadawg has a point - even the jaded guys here (and especially them) have a lot of football knowledge that would be cool to read, see their analysis. I'm not that guy - but those that are could make this board better I think. Tell us why Asa sucks (yeah I see he misses tackles, isn't physical, etc.); but I bet he's also out of position, doesn't react properly, is some of that coaching, are all DBs underperforming. Make a case and show off your football insights. I wouldn't even know whether you're right, but its fun to read people who at least present themselves as knowing their stuff. And points for mock ups, step by step explanations of how a play broke down, etc. I know that stuff is time consuming, but can really add value.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,281
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Man, if you could get the Husky’s to win at about a 80% clip over the next fifteen years and recruit at a top ten level that would be a great start. Oh and finally build that mythical fence around the state of Washington. This place would be a lot of fun after that.

Disagree. This place is at its best when the team is either 1. Close, but still maddeningly not there or 2. Terrible and a melting pot of @haie(t), shitty takes, and calls for vengeance/murder
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022
    Canadawg said:

@dnc or @GrundleStiltzkin there's a copy pasta for this that I can't find. This place is slipping and I'm part of the problem.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,160
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I vote yea on Proposition Malarkey
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Are we really bashing getting cheap chins now??? That is like 81% this board exists
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Canadawg said:

@dnc or @GrundleStiltzkin there's a copy pasta for this that I can't find. This place is slipping and I'm part of the problem.
    You are a Trojan horse. You are no longer one of us
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,636
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I vote yea on Proposition Malarkey

If you start or are in a thread that stays alive without malarkey then you've really accomplished something. I'd hate to lose that standard of measure. It's a rare feat and high honor, and should stay that way.

I'm not sure if that makes me a yes or no. What's the vote?
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,124
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Does anybody really believe someone will read your post that’s longer than 5 sentences?

Why don’t you pen a letter to Desr Abby?🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

Canadawg said:

You are a Trojan horse. You are no longer one of us
    @usc_troojan_bot was taken.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We can't have a good offense our program is built on DEFENSE!!

Keep malarkey and bolster legitimate football talk and the posters that bring it.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Hey, look! A new post in this thread!

Oh, that's just me...

BTW, they say they're aware of the issue and are working on it.