Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Damon Huard is the Doogliest Doog that ever Dooged... And other thoughts from Saturday

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
imageDamon Huard is the Doogliest Doog that ever Dooged... And other thoughts from Saturday

Derek Johnson gives his thoughts from Washington's narrow win over Hawaii.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,636
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Good read Derek..spot on...
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited September 2014
    Interesting comparison to the '90 season there

Those Purdue and SJS games were pretty brutal, but that Hawaii game last night was worse. Of course back then, it was basically go through one or both of the LA schools, win the games you were supposed to, and you make the Rose Bowl. There was no Phil Knight Nike U or Stanfraud to really worry about, or at least pose as a serious threat or obstacle. The Beavers were a joke in the Arizona schools were about the same. Now it's different and I don't quite see them getting over the hump. Yet. If they beat Tree, then we see what happens in Eugene. Who knows.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Player development and talent levels are a glaring TBD.

From just in-game coaching, though, Petersen did a good job. He knew his offensive was complete shit and he played the field position game masterfully (execution left a lot to be desired), effectively waiting for Chow to inevitably fuck it up.

It's the preseason and it should play out, but I echo cornel's worries about Jonathan Smith. Very small-timey so far.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2014
    Damon Huard is the Doogliest Doog that ever Dooged
    Damon Huard was Section14a this whole fucking tim?
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2014
    Didn't listen to the KOMO broadcast. But did I hear Bill Schwartz is back? Also Gaard Swanson during the pre-game?

Chuck needs to come back, although I'm sure he's busy @ the WAC

I woke up fully clothed next to a half eaten Kalua pig/pork sandwich. Laptop on my chest, logged into Husky Hardcore. Totally out of touch with local media

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

The 2000 Rose Bowl team beat a 3-8 Colorado team 17-14. But we should probably all shit our pants and give up.

That was the 3rd game of the year, and the Buffs were coming off a 7-5 season including a bowl win. At the time it looked like a decent win on the road.

Hawaii was 1-11 last year with one of the worst defenses in the country. Heck they may turn out to be a pretty decent team, but as of right now a 1pt victory is not something to be celebrated.
  • Options
    LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,628
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    How Hawaii fucked this game up I'll never know... It's the thing 1-11 teams do. And Ty.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Didn't listen to the KOMO broadcast. But did I hear Bill Schwartz is back? Also Gaard Swanson during the pre-game?

Chuck needs to come back, although I'm sure he's busy @ the WAC

I woke up fully clothed next to a half eaten Kalua pig/pork sandwich. Laptop on my chest, logged into Husky Hardcore. Totally out of touch with local media

Weird, I woke up half naked with Poi smeared all over my face and size 26 sticky panties on my pillow.

Jesus Christ... I need 500 showers
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited September 2014

The season isn't over and we will certainly play better this season. That opener was shit though and wasn't good. Blaming Sark for what he left also bothers me. The OL and front 7 are all returning starters (besides Coleman Shelton at RT) and they got outplayed for most of the game against a bad MWC team that didn't win a conference game last year. If Lindquist was the only thing holding us back I would feel much better. I guess we are called doogs for caring about the scrimmage. Personally, I think excusing that kind of performance by saying it was only a scrimmage is much worse than over analyzing a non conference game.

I've been very vocal about supporting Petersen before he was even hired. That was shit though and not having your team ready to play is somewhat concerning. It was the fucking opener. if anything, the players should be too amped up. The old saying, "I'd rather have to tell a guy to calm down than to get him fired up." I am curious to how the team comes out next week. I think it will be a tough week of practice and we see a different team next week.

I agree. Petersen came with very high expectations and throughout the 4th quarter I was ready to concede he was going to burn one of his 12 losses toward 92 victories at Washington.

I think it goes beyond blaming Sark. The team's identity is still missing, and has been for far too long. Expectations toward regaining elite status are buzzing in the media (may partly explain Huard's doogliest demeanor). I think Petersen embraces this challenge and I believe he will succeed. But, the players don't know what it takes be Husky Football, the upperclassmen included. I thought Petersen's comments before the game were peculiar at the time (i.e. "unknowns"), but now appear very telling in that he didn't know how his "process" was going to manifest in player performances (or lack of) until tested. I am thankful it was a "scrimmage." I am also glad three more are scheduled before the conference opener. Now Petersen knows much better what needs to be prioritized for his "process" take root and develop this season's squad into a competitive, winning team.

I'm with RoadDawg in expecting we see a different Husky team against EWU.

• Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Using Colorado in 2000 and the '90 season is cherry picking. Colorado in 2000 was a team with talent in a hostile environment. They played in the Fiesta Bowl the next season. I don't see Hawaii doing that and they will be lucky to be .500 in the MWC. It's a good example to keep things in perspective that the season isn't over, but there are plenty of other examples where a shitty opener was a sign of things to come. The 2011 win over Eastern is a prime example.

The season isn't over and we will certainly play better this season. That opener was shit though and wasn't good. Blaming Sark for what he left also bothers me. The OL and front 7 are all returning starters (besides Coleman Shelton at RT) and they got outplayed for most of the game against a bad MWC team that didn't win a conference game last year. If Lindquist was the only thing holding us back I would feel much better. I guess we are called doogs for caring about the scrimmage. Personally, I think excusing that kind of performance by saying it was only a scrimmage is much worse than over analyzing a non conference game.

I've been very vocal about supporting Petersen before he was even hired. That was shit though and not having your team ready to play is somewhat concerning. It was the fucking opener. if anything, the players should be too amped up. The old saying goes, "I'd rather have to tell a guy to calm down than to get him fired up." I am curious to how the team comes out next week. I think it will be a tough week of practice and we see a different team next week.

TL, DR version: TSINO, but that was a fucking horrible performance that shouldn't be ignored.

Yeah I don't think you even know what cherry picking is. That would actually explain a lot.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,636
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Roaddawg. Agree fully in your write up. Though I am shocked boobs hasn't started a new thread telling you what a fucking idiot you are... hmm

4 preseason all conference players on defense. They should have dominated up front. That's what a team competing for the North should do against a dumpster fire program.

Let's hope to see a dismantling of Eastern why the fuck else would we watch?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    jecornel said:

Roaddawg. Agree fully in your write up. Though I am shocked boobs hasn't started a new thread telling you what a fucking idiot you are... hmm

4 preseason all conference players on defense. They should have dominated up front. That's what a team competing for the North should do against a dumpster fire program.

Let's hope to see a dismantling of Eastern why the fuck else would we watch?

That bullshit was TL, DR.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2014

Using Colorado in 2000 and the '90 season is cherry picking. Colorado in 2000 was a team with talent in a hostile environment. They played in the Fiesta Bowl the next season. I don't see Hawaii doing that and they will be lucky to be .500 in the MWC. It's a good example to keep things in perspective that the season isn't over, but there are plenty of other examples where a shitty opener was a sign of things to come. The 2011 win over Eastern is a prime example.

I've been very vocal about supporting Petersen before he was even hired. That was shit though and not having your team ready to play is somewhat concerning. It was the fucking opener. if anything, the players should be too amped up. The old saying goes, "I'd rather have to tell a guy to calm down than to get him fired up." I am curious to how the team comes out next week. I think it will be a tough week of practice and we see a different team next week.

TL, DR version: TSINO, but that was a fucking horrible performance that shouldn't be ignored.

Yeah I don't think you even know what cherry picking is. That would actually explain a lot.
    Using select examples to boost your argument. You did it by using Colorado in 2000. I could wikipedia it or get the Webster's definition if you would like.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,504
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    SteveBowmanFS sighting! I thought you must have gone for a swim in the Mackenzie River. *gurgle* Must have just been wishful thinking on my part.