Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Beating a dead horse

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Doesn’t matter at minimum until Jen is out

The coach matters. Jenn is the ultimate anchor but Halfley or whoever the fuck, Wilcock, or even Smith would have been a disaster. Same with the XFL coach.

So the boosters approved a developer with a great system and trying to out-scout people. It makes a lot of sense even though yeah, I agree with the HHP guys that the 5 million difference should be spent somewhere useful toward the getting talent.
    Everything I’ve heard is that DeBoer was the backup plan to Campbell and Jen couldn’t close Campbell

DeBoer has as many red flags as he has positives
    Please itemize his positives and negatives (red flags) without your usual tequillaesque empty verbiage. TYFYS
    Quick list here

Positives:

History of improvements/winning at every level

Offensive focus

History of leading programs

Negatives:

Limited P5 experience and none as a HC; P5 experience at bottom half of conference school

Massive uptick when it comes to recruiting required

Balance of staff came with him from G5; historically that isn’t a positive indicator

With control of a divisional title in hand, followed up beating San Diego St by getting blown out by Boise … losing to Boise isn’t the crime … losing 40-14 with the 2nd TD coming with 1:10 remaining isn’t good
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,571
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

The coach matters. Jenn is the ultimate anchor but Halfley or whoever the fuck, Wilcock, or even Smith would have been a disaster. Same with the XFL coach.

So the boosters approved a developer with a great system and trying to out-scout people. It makes a lot of sense even though yeah, I agree with the HHP guys that the 5 million difference should be spent somewhere useful toward the getting talent.
    Everything I’ve heard is that DeBoer was the backup plan to Campbell and Jen couldn’t close Campbell

Please itemize his positives and negatives (red flags) without your usual tequillaesque empty verbiage. TYFYS
    Quick list here

Positives:

History of improvements/winning at every level

Offensive focus

History of leading programs

Negatives:

Limited P5 experience and none as a HC; P5 experience at bottom half of conference school

Massive uptick when it comes to recruiting required

Balance of staff came with him from G5; historically that isn’t a positive indicator

With control of a divisional title in hand, followed up beating San Diego St by getting blown out by Boise … losing to Boise isn’t the crime … losing 40-14 with the 2nd TD coming with 1:10 remaining isn’t good
    I don't watch the Mountain West unless we're playing Utah but my question is how many picks did Haener throw in their losses?
  • Options
    chuck said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

I'm not in the mood for a war of words with Teq or anyone else, but he keeps making thst unsupported statement. DeBoer's "red flag" is that he's a new guy at this level with limited recruiting experience outside of the FSU or Indiana tier. Everything else thst matters...past success, good offenses, teams thst play and hit hard, and teams thst play up to the competition...is a positive.

UW should be able to hire a big time coach from the same lists thst the blue blood programs hire from. I get the disgust. It's all image bullshit though. If Deboer is good, and there are zero signs that he's not, the name recognition nonsense will stop being a factor within a season or two.
    Not interested in a war of words

If going the G5 route for hiring DeBoer was probably the most realistic hire

I think he’s got a lot of mileage out of almost beating Oregon and beating a relatively mediocre UCLA team … the stats in Mountain West play aren’t eye popping impressive and fall in the slightly above conference average range

The recruiting stuff is what it is at this point … not convinced that he and his staff can’t recruit but they need to close a good class before those concerns ease

The Boise loss last year to me is a massive red flag
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

chuck said:

EwaDawg said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

I'm not in the mood for a war of words with Teq or anyone else, but he keeps making thst unsupported statement. DeBoer's "red flag" is that he's a new guy at this level with limited recruiting experience outside of the FSU or Indiana tier. Everything else thst matters...past success, good offenses, teams thst play and hit hard, and teams thst play up to the competition...is a positive.

UW should be able to hire a big time coach from the same lists thst the blue blood programs hire from. I get the disgust. It's all image bullshit though. If Deboer is good, and there are zero signs that he's not, the name recognition nonsense will stop being a factor within a season or two.
    Not interested in a war of words

If going the G5 route for hiring DeBoer was probably the most realistic hire

I think he’s got a lot of mileage out of almost beating Oregon and beating a relatively mediocre UCLA team … the stats in Mountain West play aren’t eye popping impressive and fall in the slightly above conference average range

The recruiting stuff is what it is at this point … not convinced that he and his staff can’t recruit but they need to close a good class before those concerns ease

The Boise loss last year to me is a massive red flag
    Bury Post
  • Options

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There's not ton of evidence to suggest though that Campbell is more likely to win at UW than DeBoner.
    It’s always a crap shoot to be sure and past performance doesn’t guarantee future success

But I’d bet on Campbell to provide a better opportunity for success

Jen went bargain hunting which is largely consistent in how she runs the AD
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There's not ton of evidence to suggest though that Campbell is more likely to win at UW than DeBoner.
    It’s always a crap shoot to be sure and past performance doesn’t guarantee future success

But I’d bet on Campbell to provide a better opportunity for success

Jen went bargain hunting which is largely consistent in how she runs the AD
    Bury Post
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

This was a historic off season for coaching changes and big money

Reilly and Brian Kelly along with Brian Kelly left big time jobs for bigger jobs and money leaving big openings at Oklahoma and Norte Dame, midwest schools, one in the Big 12

UW and Cohen went cheap and Matt Campbell was a pussy and stayed in Ames

Both are true

No one could win in Corvallis until Dennis did. No one can win at Nebraska now. Allegedly

Winners win. DeBoer deserves a game or two to find out

Most coaches suck including most of the options for the Huskies

But USC was a clear winner. The best bet is steal a winner. Still not a lock but still

Lanning probably sucks too so there's that

SC won for sure but Lincoln "I suck at defense" Riley going to the University of "Our D sucked so bad that Beavlet butt slammed us at Home" and bringing his shitty DC is a weird move. If you're paying for Riley then protect your investment and go pay bank for someone better than that.

You need athletes on defense which they've obtained through the transfer portal but you can't have dumbshits running it. We got Bookie rather easily because of him.

David Woods isn't completely off predicting an 8-4 or 9-3 year for them which would take a lot of wind out of their sails.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited June 2022
    Haie you nerd. Aren't you like my age? That shit was a PowerPoint on blackboard.com

Who the fuck goes to the library

Only time I ever went I can't remember the reason but several of us cheated on some online Beatles and American music course or some shit.

Not sure why we went there. Maybe internet was out somewhere else

Oregon state was rigorous academis
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

Haie you nerd. Aren't you like my age? That shit was a PowerPoint on blackboard.com

Only time I ever went I can't remember the reason but several of us cheated on some online Beatles and American music course or some shit.

I am your age I think.

I respect the Beavlet. At least they care about practical things. Fermentation science, computer science, electrical engineering, and fermentation science.

There were some cool roof top breweries and some other tap houses when I was there for the game.

Regarding the library stuff: UW has the best libraries in the entire fucking world.

Regarding Tempe when I visited, it was fucking amazing.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    haie said:

I am your age I think.

I respect the Beavlet. At least they care about practical things. Fermentation science, computer science, electrical engineering, and fermentation science.

There were some cool roof top breweries and some other tap houses when I was there for the game.

Regarding the library stuff: UW has the best libraries in the entire fucking world.

Regarding Tempe when I visited, it was fucking amazing.
    According to obk I'm beavlet for life bro
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

There is ZERO evidence Campbell would do better. Or, less than ZERO.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,897
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Sick of this life, not that you'd care
    I'm not the only one with whom, these feelings, I share
    Nobody understands quite why we're here
    We're searching for answers that never appear
    Maybe if I looked real hard, I'd, I'd see you trying, too
    To understand this life that we're all going through
    "Then when she said she was going to, like, wreck my car
    I didn't know what to do"

[Chorus]
    Oh, sometimes, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse
    And I don't know why you'd be bringing me down
    I'd like to think that our love's worth a tad more
    It may sound funny, but you'd think, by now, I'd be smiling
    I guess some things never change
    Oh, never change
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,264
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My thoughts…three categories for coaching hires: elite coaches that go to programs that have elite resources and commitment, and have had recent success (Riley, Brian Kelley, Brian Kelley, Saban, Urbs, Jimbo)…Rehab tour: (Joey Freshwater, Uncle Denny, Chipper, Sark, maybe Harbaugh)…and, the path “we” have chosen, low-ball up and comer G5 HC / elite coordinator looking to move up the food chain (Rick, Jimmy no balls, Shaw, Smiff, Helfrich, Lanning). The elite guys were all once here, and never had to rehab (although Urbs will if he just can’t live without coed tail).

No elite coach would sniff the UW job right now…a HOF coach, well-respected, suddenly “burns out” and leaves a shit-load of $$ on the table, passing it to the “hand-picked” assistant who crashes it into the ditch…that screams incompetence in the AD, and elite (and, not-so-elite) coaches can smell it a mile away. The up-and-comers will bite, because $$ and confidence they can right the ship, when they “get their guys in there”.

Nobody wants to do a re-build, because in this game, that pretty much means an AD rebuild.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    Swaye's Wigwam

This was a historic off season for coaching changes and big money

Reilly and Brian Kelly along with Brian Kelly left big time jobs for bigger jobs and money leaving big openings at Oklahoma and Norte Dame, midwest schools, one in the Big 12

UW and Cohen went cheap and Matt Campbell was a pussy and stayed in Ames

Both are true

No one could win in Corvallis until Dennis did. No one can win at Nebraska now. Allegedly

Winners win. DeBoer deserves a game or two to find out

Most coaches suck including most of the options for the Huskies

But USC was a clear winner. The best bet is steal a winner. Still not a lock but still

Lanning probably sucks too so there's that

We've had like 2 sizzle, winner hires in the modern era. Neither fulfilled their initial promise.

Group of 5, might be decent to good, is the only time we've gotten it right.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Complaining about certain games that Fresno didn’t do well but other teams did well against this other MWC team isnt smart.

If you’re the type of Doog allowing that and the year 0 recruiting to hate on the new coach. Then you get another Doog pin.

I would be a little concerned with the whole Jenny Craig thing. But other than the lines, there’s little reason for anyone to be plus #225 imo. Speed kills.

So, He May be onto something there.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    doogville said:

I’m in LIPO mode, but the fact that DeBoer wasn’t linked to any other job openings of note is a concern. Based on what is out there. he was basically begging for the UW job (and took it at a salary below market comps).

So, yea. Cohen was looking for a bargain & a coach who wouldn’t rock the boat/scandal free. DeBoer fits that mold. And we did not have to lure him away from other suitors. We offered, he accepted.

We’ll see if he can get it done at the highest level. Track record seems promising, but he has not been coaching in the big leagues for that long.

Deboer would have resigned from Fresnp Friday night b4 Kent State Game and flew up here to lead UW out of tunnel Saturday night if that is when we would have offered him position.

How recruiting is going speaks for itself, but his success/failure will be determined by how much of a offensive minded unicorn he is, and his ability to out scheme and coach teams.

I'm at 7/8 wins for us this year, which doesn't change the narrative enough for 2024 recruiting especially if our NIL and MF programs continue as they have so far.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    godawgst said:

doogville said:

I’m in LIPO mode, but the fact that DeBoer wasn’t linked to any other job openings of note is a concern. Based on what is out there. he was basically begging for the UW job (and took it at a salary below market comps).

So, yea. Cohen was looking for a bargain & a coach who wouldn’t rock the boat/scandal free. DeBoer fits that mold. And we did not have to lure him away from other suitors. We offered, he accepted.

We’ll see if he can get it done at the highest level. Track record seems promising, but he has not been coaching in the big leagues for that long.

Deboer would have resigned from Fresnp Friday night b4 Kent State Game and flew up here to lead UW out of tunnel Saturday night if that is when we would have offered him position.

How recruiting is going speaks for itself, but his success/failure will be determined by how much of a offensive minded unicorn he is, and his ability to out scheme and coach teams.

I'm at 7/8 wins for us this year, which doesn't change the narrative enough for 2024 recruiting especially if our NIL and MF programs continue as they have so far.
    So we should have hired a coach who was burned out and didn't want to do this?

'It's a red flag that we hired a coach that is 110% invested in making us a winner, when he has been a winner everywhere he's been at'

-GoDawgsStupidTurd
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

godawgst said:

doogville said:

'It's a red flag that we hired a coach that is 110% invested in making us a winner, when he has been a winner everywhere he's been at'

-GoDawgsStupidTurd
    This is dumb. There are 10,000 college coaches who would crawl over broken glass to be head coach at UW. Their enthusiasm for the job has little to do with whether they have the skill set to be successful.

We all want DeBoner to be the guy, but this attitude about how he’s some impeccable hire is really weird.

The dude spent 20 years slogging away as a complete nobody in college football — and please save me this Sioux Falls bullshit.

DeBoner has exactly one (1) year of P5 experience. And his staff of other “nobodies” (with one exception) demonstrates that.

He was available and cheap. Let’s not make more of this than it is.

Now, go win 10 games and prove all the doubters wrong.
  • Options
    haie said:

godawgst said:

doogville said:

-GoDawgsStupidTurd
    Bury Post