Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What's everybody drinking on Saturday?

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
  • sjdsjd Member Posts: 270

sjd said:

Pliny the Elder or Simtra Triple IPA

...some say the Simtra has a hint of "citrus on the back end"

Where do you live that you can find Pliny these days? I'm pretty sure those Russian River bastards stopped shipping their beer to WA.
    Cask 'n Flask in San Jose
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    Something tropical, like Vita Vea and rum.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Dardanus said:

Something tropical, like Vita Vea and rum.

I hear Vita Vea is great the day after for your hangover.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

sjd said:

Where do you live that you can find Pliny these days? I'm pretty sure those Russian River bastards stopped shipping their beer to WA.
    Pliny is vastly overrated. Good beer to be sure but not as epic as people make it out to be.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,895 Swaye's Wigwam

sjd said:

Pliny is vastly overrated. Good beer to be sure but not as epic as people make it out to be.
    Stiltzkin ya cunt, what's your favorite IPA?
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    Hookers and blow
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    kombucha or La Croix - Peach-pear.....
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    flat diet coke
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

sjd said:

Partially disagree. The hype was justified.

But now it's just another in a long list of quality IPAs.

I'd order it if I had the chance, but it's not even top 5 anymore.

sjd said:

By the 6er, Deschutes Inversion IPA, or better yet, Fresh Squeezed IPA. Had that on draft at lunch the other day and it's amazing. The best bang for buck right now is probably Pyramid's Outburst Imperial IPA. It's a solid, if not amazing, beer but you can usually get it for $6.99 or less a 6er and it's like 8.2% abv. I can't think of any other beer sold in a six-pack over 8% and you're surely not getting one at around $1 a bottle.

More in line with where Pliny falls in the market, I'd go with Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Stone's basic IPA is wholly unremarkable, but one of their recent limited run IPAs was out of this world. Can't remember the name off hand. Hair of the Dog has a very good double IPA as well.

On the crazy end, Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, depending on the year, 19-21% abv and IBUs probably far above what humans can detect. I'm not sure it's even made anymore.

sjd said:

Partially disagree. The hype was justified.

But now it's just another in a long list of quality IPAs.

I'd order it if I had the chance, but it's not even top 5 anymore.
    Well, what the hell do I know. Beer Advocate has Pliny the Younger (which I've never found) at #4 and Pliny the Elder at #5.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/top/
    FYFMFE

sjd said:

I will probably swing by Norm's in Lake Stevens this weekend. If they still have it, I'll let you know.

sjd said:

By the 6er, Deschutes Inversion IPA, or better yet, Fresh Squeezed IPA. Had that on draft at lunch the other day and it's amazing. The best bang for buck right now is probably Pyramid's Outburst Imperial IPA. It's a solid, if not amazing, beer but you can usually get it for $6.99 or less a 6er and it's like 8.2% abv. I can't think of any other beer sold in a six-pack over 8% and you're surely not getting one at around $1 a bottle.

More in line with where Pliny falls in the market, I'd go with Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Stone's basic IPA is wholly unremarkable, but one of their recent limited run IPAs was out of this world. Can't remember the name off hand. Hair of the Dog has a very good double IPA as well.

On the crazy end, Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, depending on the year, 19-21% abv and IBUs probably far above what humans can detect. I'm not sure it's even made anymore.
    If abv is part of your criteria, why are you even drinking beer?

sjd said:

Up-vote for mentioning two of my favorites, Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA and DB's Fresh Squeezed (This mouthwateringly delicious IPA gets its flavor from a heavy helping of citra and mosaic hops. Don't worry, no fruit CITRUS was harmed in the making of this beer).

deschutesbrewery.com/brew/fresh-squeezed-ipa

sjd said:

Fair poont. Basically I prefer stronger beers. And I don't know if you've ever had one of DFH's 20% beers, but at that level it changes the character of a beer drastically.

sjd said:

Fair poont. Basically I prefer stronger beers. And I don't know if you've ever had one of DFH's 20% beers, but at that level it changes the character of a beer drastically.
    I think it's cute that you are name dropping Dogfish Head to sound like a beer superiority guy.

Fresh Squeezed isn't a strong beer. Judging a beer by "strength" is FS.

sjd said:

I'll probably try Knee Deep's Simtra while watching the game ... It might hit the sweet spot at 11.25% ABV

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23200/78377/?view=beer&sort=&start=25
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,083

Willing to share if anyone else wants a pull.