Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Younger Fan Eager to Finally See Good Football

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302 Swaye's Wigwam
edited August 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
imageYounger Fan Eager to Finally See Good Football

After becoming a Husky fan just as the program was in a nosedive into oblivion, CokeGreaterThanPepsi can barely contain his excitement over this new era of UW football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,799
    edited August 2014
    chuck said:

I guess it's a miracle anyone under age 40 follows UW football at all.

I'm 33 and at least my sophomore year was the Tui Rose Bowl. Basically anyone that came in during or after the Pickett game in Miami was lost until now.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    My only complaint is that it wasn't longer. I'm a little bit younger than you but I am in the same boat. It's an odd feeling to be sure...
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I'm looking forward to some October/November games this year that rival what I was able to watch in the student section in the 2000 season ... the unthinkable against Miami, the thriller against Oregon St, the unforgettable day against Arizona a week after the Stanford game, and the final home game against UCLA.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,674 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Pretty good story though. I guess it's a miracle anyone under age 40 follows UW football at all.

I'm 33 and at least my sophomore year was the Tui Rose Bowl. Basically anyone that came in during or after the Pickett game in Miami was lost until now.

I'm the same age/same timeframe at UW. If you showed up there in 1999 as a Freshman, you missed the Air Force debacle at home. So my first game was the 99 win over Colorado. We proceeded to lose at home to ASU that year and then win every home game the next two years. That will rope you in.

The 3 game streak of getting crushed by Miami, blowing the Holiday Bowl vs Texas and then 12-men-on-the-field couging vs Michigan (went to this game) was the end. Luckily I graduated in 2002 and didn't have to witness in person the rest of that season. But for the 3 seasons I was at UW I saw 1 home loss, a Rose Bowl win, the 2000 Miami & Oregon St games, a win over Michigan, and two 2nd place finishes in the Pac.
    edited August 2014
    whlinder said:

The 3 game streak of getting crushed by Miami, blowing the Holiday Bowl vs Texas and then 12-men-on-the-field couging vs Michigan (went to this game) was the end.

Watching Major Applewhite just toy with Chris Massey for the entire second half was both amazing and gut-wrenching to watch. The fact that Simms ever started a game over him (besides injury) was one of the biggest travesties in CFB history. In a way it would be like starting Nick Montana over Tui because of pedigree, even though Simms played in the NFL, etc. Applewhite was the heart and soul of that program and had the Tui type of game you just cant teach or coach. MackBrownFS.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,327
    I was a lifelong fan, but got really hooked through the Neuheisel early years and rose bowl.

i arrived at UW fall of 2003, i witnessed the 6-6 "horray we upset WSU and continued our non-losing season streak lets fucking rush the field" season. I thought that would be the lowpoint, needless to say that was not. Nevada, Suddenly Senior Stanford, Stanbacks footbreak, Oklahoma throttling at home, USC "we should have gotten one more play", fuck all that shit.

I'll be honest, I wanted to quit UW many times over the last 10 years, but like a battered and beaten housewife I kept moving the goalposts and making excuses. Last year seemed like the lowpoint, as we were not aimlessly searching for success, but trying to redefine it by smearing DJs legacy.

I'm forcing myself to be in LIFPO mode, but my inner doog is raging. I'm nervous what serious success would do to my fandom, as I've never witnessed a dominate UW team that I didn't have to make excuses for.
    That 6-6 WSU field rush was arguably worse than Owen 12.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Good chit, bronco12. I feel like we just bonded!
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,562 Founders Club
    The first time I opened my eyes was when the siren went off after a touchdown by Mario bailey. I may have been only an infant, but I'm a genius and therefore remember the glory years.
    Ts and Ps to the youngins, your time is finally here.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    whlinder said:

chuck said:

Pretty good story though. I guess it's a miracle anyone under age 40 follows UW football at all.

I'm the same age/same timeframe at UW. If you showed up there in 1999 as a Freshman, you missed the Air Force debacle at home. So my first game was the 99 win over Colorado. We proceeded to lose at home to ASU that year and then win every home game the next two years. That will rope you in.

The 3 game streak of getting crushed by Miami, blowing the Holiday Bowl vs Texas and then 12-men-on-the-field couging vs Michigan (went to this game) was the end. Luckily I graduated in 2002 and didn't have to witness in person the rest of that season. But for the 3 seasons I was at UW I saw 1 home loss, a Rose Bowl win, the 2000 Miami & Oregon St games, a win over Michigan, and two 2nd place finishes in the Pac.
    Good chit Whlinder
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,702 Swaye's Wigwam
    last 3 years of Ty through Sark's first year here. I'm from the "I'm only interested in academics, not the football team" generation of idiotic fans/students.

I feel no sympathy for myself/peers, but I'll be really happy for the older fans (like my 92 yr old grandpa) who will hopefully get to see good husky football again.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,972
    Advice to our millennial Husky fan bros who have suffered more than the rest of us:

Don't be afraid of winning
    When we win, don't feel guilty
    It's good to be better than another team
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    Good football? You've seen it for the last 10 straight years.

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,125 Founders Club
    My first fall at the UW was in 2008. And no, I didn't get student tickets that year. I barked for Sark after his stunning moral victory over LSU and stormed the field after he beat USC.

FMFYFE
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Good football? You've seen it for the last 10 straight years.

Voted up for embracing the Raider colors.