Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some words on the Hardcore Husky podcast

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
I've received a handful of PMs in 2022 from posters thanking me for being consistent with the podcast during the offseason. It's true that the podcast came close to shutting down last year. But the support shown for Hardcore Husky during the last fundraiser, especially given the general lack of enthusiasm for UW football, was a vitamin B shot in the arm for me mentally. I felt like I should make sure the pod keeps going regularly during the offseason as a sort of thank you back to the posters.

But I'll also say that working with @JoeEDangerously and @WoolleyDoog has been a blast, so that makes it easier. They are both rabid fans. Talking Husky football with them has rekindled my interest in the program, which is supremely ironic given that UW football is at a low ebb.

Hardcore Husky doesn't have the best of reputations amongst the general UW fan base. But one comment I hear pretty regularly is that we (most of us here) hold UW football to a high standard and call a spade a spade. Many people out there do find it refreshing.

So as we head into Spring Ball, I just wanted to say those things. Let's hope Michael Penix can lead us to the promised land of Pasadena Dallas to taste sweet victory over Wake Forest in the SERVPRO First Responders Bowl.

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You guys and podcast of champions are the best out there.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2022

This is wonderful but I'm still waiting on doing our extended pod on the sociodemographic of the former WIAA 3A Northwest League.

I got my fucking ass kicked by one of those Jake Locker Ferndale teams when he was an underclassman. He just handed it off to the rb for 6 yards a carry while I watched at corner, but still.

They viewed us as the pussy rich kid school with artificial turf and soft players, and they were right. I always wondered what the rest of their league was like, because we always played Olympia teams in the playoffs.

So even the OL brothers are a great get because of that school's rep. Well, hopefully we get the younger brother.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,129
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited March 2022
    haie said:

This is wonderful but I'm still waiting on doing our extended pod on the sociodemographic of the former WIAA 3A Northwest League.

I got my fucking ass kicked by one of those Jake Locker Ferndale teams when he was an underclassman. He just handed it off to the rb for 6 yards a carry while I watched at corner, but still.

They viewed us as the pussy rich kid school with artificial turf and soft players, and they were right. I always wondered what the rest of their league was like, because we always played Olympia teams in the playoffs.

So even the OL brothers are a great get because of that school's rep. Well, hopefully we get the younger brother.
    They called us Skid Row Woolley because we were tough and scary and wanted to fight and play dirty but shitty at football. I know it makes little sense. Jake was too young for me to play against him.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I was in middle school when Arlington bolted Northwest 3A for the “greener” pastures of Wesco. I shed a tear when we traded Sehome, MV, B-E, Bellingham and SW for Everett, Lynnwood, Medowdale, Lake Stevens and Monroe. I identify Arlington with the old NW league and I identify myself as a unicorn.

NWLGBTQ+
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2022

This thread would be much more interesting if we could fold in a little Bothell Couger football chat.

Jacob Sirmon sucked and it was obvious from his days at Bothell.
    Derek did call that out from the beginning, and the TSIO daWgs didn't accept that (Hi @Tequilla )

There's even a juicy @Dennis_DeYoung post where he rips Derek for devaluating Sirmon because of a high school rivalry. (I still love DDY/FuckRobot for what it's worth).

But when @BendDawg24 confirms it you know it's true.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    haie said:

You guys and podcast of champions are the best out there.

I’ll be the DJ Kahled of the pod from now on and just say We Dah Best throughout
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,099
    I love all the episodes and I’m also jonesing for another Race throwback episode at some point.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2022

haie said:

This is mostly for me and @JoeEDangerously but here's what the other teams in Locker's league were like, at least when he was there with a Pac-12 comparison.

Lynden - Large, Dutch farm kids who punished you but weren't mean. Hot blonde girls. Stanford, when they were good.
    Bellingham - White gangsters with a few minorities sprinkled in. Oregon.
    Squalicum - Soft rich kids terrible at football. Stanford, when they're bad.
    Sehome - Pre-Rapp was actually tough. Never remarkable but always had one really big kid and one really fast kid. Cal.
    Sedro-Woolley - Inbreds. Almost never good. Wait till wrestling season. Wait...no one cares. Oregon State.
    Burlington - Farm kids but also kind of preppy and weirdly standoffish and arrogant, but were always sneaky good, but never made sense given they weren't big, fast, or tough. Utah, when they're good.
    Anacortes - Disinterested semi-rich kids with old parents. A few old fishing family tough kids. Washington.
    Mount Vernon (they went 4A during Locker's years but still) - Most kind of down the line Americana down the middle and big. Should have been pretty good but were always kind of soft. UCLA.

Ferndale - Hard ass factory, refinery and farming kids whose families I assume couldn't afford to live in Bellingham and weren't clean cut enough for Lynden. Ohio State.
    LOL

You could 1:1 map those roles with Greater St Helens during that time.

Except Ferndale. Like 1 year of Kelso was kind of on their level, but not really.

Probay could with most leagues outside of Seattle.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam