Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ale to Dt

https://www.si.com/college/washington/.amp/football/new-husky-staff-moves-ulumoo-ale-to-defense

Clears out some dead weight on the OLand gives uw some badly needed beef on the DL

Comments

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,132

https://www.si.com/college/washington/.amp/football/new-husky-staff-moves-ulumoo-ale-to-defense

Clears out some dead weight on the OLand gives uw some badly needed beef on the DL

53 minutes, fren
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Christ, take slow guard and make his a DT. Sounds like a success story waiting to happen
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,356 Founders Club

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,588
    He could make more of an impact on the DL: "The Husky lineman has a defensive background. Playing for Fife High School near Tacoma, he was named South Puget Sound Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2016."

If he had trouble with blocking schemes, it is a lot easier to know your simple gap assignment.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,781
    HFNY said:

He could make more of an impact on the DL: "The Husky lineman has a defensive background. Playing for Fife High School near Tacoma, he was named South Puget Sound Defensive Lineman of the Year in 2016."

If he had trouble with blocking schemes, it is a lot easier to know your simple gap assignment.

Are you questioning his intelligence? Seems racist
    edited February 2022
    LawDawg1 said:

HFNY said:

Are you questioning his intelligence? Seems racist
    He is questioning if his family uses EBT card to buy lobster
  • louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 350
    edited February 2022
    He was going to get passed up on the O Line so we might as well try him at DT. He's not a bad athlete and flashes his power every once in a while but he just doesn't have the the hand-eye coordination to excel in his technique. I feel like when he gets beat he's missing defenders with his "punch." If he can get his hands on guys he does a decent job.

At his size he should be able to get some push against an offense lineman 1 on 1. He's never going to be a "sack" guy but if he can get off the ball quickly he might have a chance to be disruptive.

The next Shane Brostek?

At least Shane made sense from a slow dlineman to oline guard is not completely insane of a jump. But from a slow guard to a Dline is fucking insane ask
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

The next Shane Brostek?

At least Shane made sense from a slow dlineman to oline guard is not completely insane of a jump. But from a slow guard to a Dline is fucking insane ask
    You realize this isn't a move expected to dramatically improve the DTs right? Its just a charitable opportunity for him to find some reason to be at UW for the rest of his clock. Ale is done being a shitty OL. That's all it means. If he's good enough to play snaps at DT I'll be really surprised, and I'm guessing the staff will too.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,286 Swaye's Wigwam
    I’m surprised you’re surprised.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

The next Shane Brostek?

You realize this isn't a move expected to dramatically improve the DTs right? Its just a charitable opportunity for him to find some reason to be at UW for the rest of his clock. Ale is done being a shitty OL. That's all it means. If he's good enough to play snaps at DT I'll be really surprised, and I'm guessing the staff will too.
    I think he will play. Tuli is the only big guy that has strength.

Tuitele is decent at times but he gets moved easily. Bandes is a waste of space.

Voi has shown some ability, but is a smaller and quick DT.

The other freshman is big but is he better than Ale will be? They are moving Ale to plug up the middle. I think he has as good of shot as any of the guys mentioned to be solidly in the rotation.
    I think the book is still out on all of them other than Tuli. S&C was a joke for the past two years. If that gets back to where it should be I think a bunch of guys will come out of nowhere to be good players.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,338 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
    I'm happy they are at least trying something instead of a scholly just sitting on the bench forever
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    He’s a tall guy … most DTs are more shorter/squattier types

It’s definitely worth the try given that he’s likely not an option on the OL going forward
    Tequilla said:

It’s definitely worth the try given that he’s likely not an option on the OL going forward

If he can hold the point against a double team and stick his arms out he suddenly turns in an unathletic Vita on running plays

I know the comparison is retarded please don't crucify me
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Canadawg said:

Tequilla said:

If he can hold the point against a double team and stick his arms out he suddenly turns in an unathletic Vita on running plays

Yep - that’s definitely the hope

I think what makes Vita work with his size is that he’s so athletic that he can play low to the ground while maintaining his strength advantage with speed/quickness

Regardless so much if OL/DL play comes down to getting lower and under the pads
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Tequilla said:

Canadawg said:

Tequilla said:

Yep - that’s definitely the hope

I think what makes Vita work with his size is that he’s so athletic that he can play low to the ground while maintaining his strength advantage with speed/quickness

Regardless so much if OL/DL play comes down to getting lower and under the pads
    Not being a fat, lazy turd that actually plays hard more than 1-2 plays is also important.