Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,616
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
    Gonna have to do that and figure out how to out-bid for at least a select handful of players each year.

Or be a scrappy little team that can get hot and get a good win or two per year while going 8-4.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    There was a lot in what Morgan said I agree with

Then there were other things that I just shook my head on
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

There was a lot in what Morgan said I agree with

Then there were other things that I just shook my head on

Care to elaborate for us pours?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I agreed with a lot of his comments regarding the branding and reputation (from a positive standpoint) about Washington as well as understanding what works for us and recruiting to that

There also was a little too much what I’d term as settling a bit in terms of what we are (should always be striving to grow your brand and reach) and the outward recognition of under the radar recruiting just screams of settling and embracing the grit/humility/underdog mindset that Jen champions

I’ve been fairly clear that there are always under the radar players out there that can be developed and be successful … but those players IMO are much more generally what should be viewed as backup plans instead of primary targets because we’re conceding other targets because for instance they are in SC’s area
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,112
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    If he really supported us (?), he’d have spelled “bored” correctly.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah, I didn't read that much into his comments. He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it soundslike the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 333
    Tequilla said:

I agreed with a lot of his comments regarding the branding and reputation (from a positive standpoint) about Washington as well as understanding what works for us and recruiting to that

There also was a little too much what I’d term as settling a bit in terms of what we are (should always be striving to grow your brand and reach) and the outward recognition of under the radar recruiting just screams of settling and embracing the grit/humility/underdog mindset that Jen champions

I’ve been fairly clear that there are always under the radar players out there that can be developed and be successful … but those players IMO are much more generally what should be viewed as backup plans instead of primary targets because we’re conceding other targets because for instance they are in SC’s area

We went to the playoff in 2016 and the Rose Bowl 3 years ago. We aren't Oregon State. Expectations should be way higher if that's what he's saying. Ugh.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Morgan sure bounces around a lot. 7 months at Michigan? Anyone know the story there? Hate harbaugh?
  • Options
    DawgtillDeathDawgtillDeath Member Posts: 152
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

All you have to do is look at our “blue chips” currently on the roster. Almost every single one sucks.

You can say Alabama and the other teams that have the top classes win the natties, which is fine. It hasn’t worked out for us. I’m not against highly rated guys, but they also haven’t been what they have been cracked up to be.

Maybe some time with a real coaching staff we might see improvement?... Chicken or egg, players or coaching. Lake and his staff were poser ass clowns. I think we'll see improvement.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I can’t support anyone who supports us

There's an Adidas joke in there but don't wanna be bannonated.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

We went to the playoff in 2016 and the Rose Bowl 3 years ago. We aren't Oregon State. Expectations should be way higher if that's what he's saying. Ugh.
    We went there because we evaluated and developed at an elite level. We also had a handful of guys that were 4*, bonafied blue chips.

On that great defense, the only 4*’s were Budda, Qualls, and Mathis.
  • Options
    What was that line from Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure? We’re sitting in front of the Circle K on a Friday night by choice.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

What was that line from Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure?

We’re sitting in front of the Circle K on a Friday night by choice.

New Bored Motto ?

• Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

All you have to do is look at our “blue chips” currently on the roster. Almost every single one sucks.

You can say Alabama and the other teams that have the top classes win the natties, which is fine. It hasn’t worked out for us. I’m not against highly rated guys, but they also haven’t been what they have been cracked up to be.

I have to agree with you; a lot of Washington football players do suck. But, some of the blue chips don’t suck. Out of the 20 or so that don’t, most came from the top third of the highest ranked recruits on the roster. I already checked, but let’s look at this empirically.

Who do you think were the best 10-20 players on the 2021 team? How many of those were blue chip recruits?

UW’s blue chip percentage was 43% so if out of your top-20 players there aren’t more than 8 4-stars then that means blue chips are over represented. Which would mean your opinion, which is clearly a coping mechanism for lowered expectations, is not correct.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    Standard Supporter
    This says to me that don't necessarily expect the 2023 class to be in the top 25 in average stars. I think it will be in the top 25 overall but they are going to take some guys that are under the radar but are worth taking.

Managing expectations is sensible as long as they don't use it as a crutch for not doing better in WA State and California.