Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Courtney Morgan supports Hardcorehusky.com

Comments

• Options
    picalogestabopicalogestabo Member Posts: 651
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

What was that line from Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure? We’re sitting in front of the Circle K on a Friday night by choice.

Wrong movie and wrong convenience store but I think you still get credit.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
    @RatherBeBrewing

Someone just posted a roster yesterday. Out of upperclassmen “blue chips”, a middling DT (Tuli) was by far the best one. One decent player out of 8 guys.

The rest are young but there isn’t one legitimately good blue chip on the roster. Some on offense will probably turn out to be good.

TBS addicts like you twist it to me saying all blue chips suck. We have done unfathomably bad with them. I’ve been clear we need to evaluate better.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

@RatherBeBrewing

Someone just posted a roster yesterday. Out of upperclassmen “blue chips”, a middling DT (Tuli) was by far the best one. One decent player out of 8 guys.

The rest are young but there isn’t one legitimately good blue chip on the roster. Some on offense will probably turn out to be good.

TBS addicts like you twist it to me saying all blue chips suck. We have done unfathomably bad with them. I’ve been clear we need to evaluate better.

This is all that comforts me about UW's recent shit recruiting. I will say, the higher rated DB's UW got a few year's back have been really good. Budda, Kyler, Byron, Trent...Every other position has been shite.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    HFNY said:

This says to me that don't necessarily expect the 2023 class to be in the top 25 in average stars. I think it will be in the top 25 overall but they are going to take some guys that are under the radar but are worth taking.

Managing expectations is sensible as long as they don't use it as a crutch for not doing better in WA State and California.

That’s directionally where my head went reading it … felt like a preemptive lowering of expectations
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

The problem Roadie is a lot of dudes on our roster have had shit development for at least 12 months and probably closer to 24 months

I’ll concede that point, but I also think many simply aren’t good. At this point LIPO and the coaches deserve the benefit of the doubt for a little bit.

There is a severe lack of toughness in the program that needs to be fixed. That also goes hand in hand with recruiting. Don’t bring in guys that don’t love contact. This is football. You can’t get away with being soft, even in the PAC 12.
    I agree with those points … mine is simply I’m not indicating the players until it’s clear it’s on them

For this staff they get measured in 2 ways:

1) Can they take the existing roster and transform as an indication that they can coach (the Hop effect)

2) Can you recruit well enough to sustain your own program
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

The problem Roadie is a lot of dudes on our roster have had shit development for at least 12 months and probably closer to 24 months

I’ll concede that point, but I also think many simply aren’t good. At this point LIPO and the coaches deserve the benefit of the doubt for a little bit.

There is a severe lack of toughness in the program that needs to be fixed. That also goes hand in hand with recruiting. Don’t bring in guys that don’t love contact. This is football. You can’t get away with being soft, even in the PAC 12.
    I agree with those points … mine is simply I’m not indicating the players until it’s clear it’s on them

For this staff they get measured in 2 ways:

1) Can they take the existing roster and transform as an indication that they can coach (the Hop effect)

2) Can you recruit well enough to sustain your own program
    I think UW to an extent recruits itself. Some highly touted guys will be interested if UW wins.

I don’t have low expectations, but this is a physical, tough program. Make that your core and sprinkle in the blue chips at certain positions. We also have to get every elite in state guy. The formula has not changed.

The 2016 team was an elite QB away from truly being capable of winning a title. The only out of state 4 star guys on that team were Ross, Qualls, Mathis, Daniels, and Browning (the weakest link).

We probably still make the playoffs if Ross and Browning were the only two we had. Evaluate better. Get the future pros from Boise State, SDSU, Utah St, etc. I know that if everyone knew those guys were pros, better schools would have signed them, but I do expect and know it’s possible to find better players.

When in doubt, go with the guy that loves to hit. The game hasn’t changed. There really are not many freak athletes out there. A LB/S that runs a 4.7 that loves to hit is better than an athlete like Asa Turner.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

@RatherBeBrewing

You could have just saved the time and said you don’t know what you’re talking about. Granted, Washington’s team MVP was a walk-on, but if you think none of your blue chips are legitimately good I don’t think you know who those even are.

Tuli Letugiaililianalisinaloa? As an FYI he’s the 7th highest rated recruit on Washington’s roster. He was the 104th overall recruit in the country and back in 2018 he was in the top 20 of recruits for Washington, ever.

Trent McDuffie and Kyler Gordon were Washington’s only AP all conference position players. The 9th and 13th highest rated recruits on the roster. Jalen McMillan, Terrell Bynum, and Rome Odunze were the only good offensive players - although I’ll give credit to non-blue chip players Kirkland and Otton as they had been good in years prior. Ufoloshio had an incomplete 2021 and Bruener came on strong as well. The OU transfer Radley-Hines was decent. That’s Washington’s 11 best players of 2021, seven of them were blue chip recruits. Of those, the lowest rated on UW’s roster was 23rd.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,165
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

@RatherBeBrewing

Makes one wonder that if someone like Smalls was at Bama, would he be measurably better by now?
  • Options
    HypnotiqueHypnotique Member Posts: 70
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited February 2022
    A LB/S that runs a 4.7 that loves to hit is better than an athlete like Asa Turner.

A greasy pork chop served in a dirty ashtray is better than Asa Turner.
  • Options
    TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

A LB/S that runs a 4.7 that loves to hit is better than an athlete like Asa Turner.

A greasy pork chop served in a dirty ashtray is better than Asa Turner.

Upvote for weird science reference. Loved that young Kelly Lebrock.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah, I didn't read that much into his comments. He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah, I didn't read that much into his comments. He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sorry @TheHB. My fat thumb must've downvoted your post, which was quite good in spite of the mockery. I fixed it. I'm sure that was weighing heavily on you.