Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hamilton holds off Verstappen to win tense F1 season-opener

13»

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,041
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Filthy casuals.
  • Options
    What should have happened is a red flag. Stop the race. Let the drivers pit, new tires, and then re-start.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

What should have happened is a red flag. Stop the race. Let the drivers pit, new tires, and then re-start.

Race would not have restarted from a red flag due to 75% completion rule, right? Result would be the finishing order of the second to last complete lap?
  • Options

Race would not have restarted from a red flag due to 75% completion rule, right? Result would be the finishing order of the second to last complete lap?
    Rules? Apparently the rules go out the window when they want them too, right @dtd ?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,041
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I mean, it's the FIA so who knows, but that's only for certain circumstances. They would have restarted. Red flag would have been the better fudging of the rules if they actually wanted to "go motor racing". Grid would have been in order and all on the same tires.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm starting to think this is all just a big endorsement for MotoGP over F1. The rules there are pretty black and white. Very rarely, there's a penalty (ride-through, long lap, or time penalty) handed out that's controversial, but for the most part the rules are hard to fudge. There's no such thing as a safety car that 's out on track with the bikes, for instance, so none of that nonsense. A crash that leaves debris/fluids on the track is an automatic red flag. If 2/3 race distance is complete, that's a wrap. If not, race is restarted, with increasingly fewer laps based off the amount of time elapsed (to fit the race in the TV window).

Passing a safety car!? I couldn't believe that when I saw it. What's the point of a safety car existing if drivers are instructed to pass it? It's like the FIA charges by the word for the F1 rule book.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    F1 has always been this way - or at least it's been this way since I've been watching. Always some controversy going on in regards to the rules and how they're enforced, or selectively enforced. Whether it's some launch control, or a flexible wing, or some race regulations, there's always some debate and controversy going on.

I'm still going to watch it next season.