Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoner > Campbell

Comments

• Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrockHuard/status/1465105646856986629

Why tweet this? You’d think he knows who the hire is.

Brock needs to step away from Twitter and go kick Mike Salk out to the curb at 710
    He's pissed that we didn't land Matt. We went all-in on him and it sucks that we got rejected.
    It does suck, but at least Campbell didn't come here just to collect a paycheck and not be all-in himself. There are plenty of coaches out there that would and do. UW has had a few in the past.

He must think it's not a good fit, so be it. Move on. UW desperately needs a coach that wants to be here 100%, wants to and is willing to put in the work, and is hungry. Hopefully, we found that guy.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    digits said:

Brock needs to step away from Twitter and go kick Mike Salk out to the curb at 710
    He's pissed that we didn't land Matt. We went all-in on him and it sucks that we got rejected.
    It does suck, but at least Campbell didn't come here just to collect a paycheck and not be all-in himself. There are plenty of coaches out there that would and do. UW has had a few in the past.

He must think it's not a good fit, so be it. Move on. UW desperately needs a coach that wants to be here 100%, wants to and is willing to put in the work, and is hungry. Hopefully, we found that guy.
    Could be any number of reasons …

Would it be a huge shocker if he couldn’t get past the fact Jen’s a fraud of an AD and didn’t buy her sales pitch?
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

digits said:

Could be any number of reasons …

Would it be a huge shocker if he couldn’t get past the fact Jen’s a fraud of an AD and didn’t buy her sales pitch?
    No.
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2021
    Saracen said:

I fully believe Campbell is a hell of a coach, but how exactly is he such a better hire because of recruiting?

Performance - how many 4/5 stars was he stealing from the big boys? Pretty sure he built his rep and wins off doing more with less and landing more 3 stars in the state of Iowa.

Reputation - I know the coaching junkies and CFB enthusiasts love him, but how many west coast kids are watching Iowa State football? How many west coast HS coaches know him?

Not saying DeBoer is a better coach than Campbell, don’t twist - but to say Campbell’s a major upgrade in recruiting doesn’t really add up.

People have the tendency to treat recruiting like it’s some secret sauce when 90+% of it is hard work, persistence, prioritization, and relationships. Most coaches at all college levels that have impressive winning records work hard in all aspects, including recruiting.

Agree, it's forecasting. I think it's easier to forecast Matt having more success than Kalen but your right in that it would be a question mark for either guy.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    Standard Supporter
    There's supposedly some Twitter chat involving Taki, Bruener, and a few others that suggests Derham Cato told them Campbell was the hire. I haven't found it but it's being vaguely discussed on doogman
  • Options
    bluechipuwrecruitsbluechipuwrecruits Member Posts: 394
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

There's supposedly some Twitter chat involving Taki, Bruener, and a few others that suggests Derham Cato told them Campbell was the hire. I haven't found it but it's being vaguely discussed on doogman

From what I heard is we upped the offer last night and haven't gotten a response back. We told him we would move with Kalen if it's not agreed to by tomorrow morning, hence Brock's tweet. But nothing from the talks has indicated he is serious about coming here this whole time. He's dead to me.
    Still very interesting. @sonics1993 im on the fence with both DeBoer and Campbell. Which of those two would be better for this program. More importantly which would hire the better staff and be more of a relentless recruiter we are looking for?
  • Options

Derham Cato is their source?
  • Options
    HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

From what I heard is we upped the offer last night and haven't gotten a response back. We told him we would move with Kalen if it's not agreed to by tomorrow morning, hence Brock's tweet. But nothing from the talks has indicated he is serious about coming here this whole time. He's dead to me.
    Still very interesting. @sonics1993 im on the fence with both DeBoer and Campbell. Which of those two would be better for this program. More importantly which would hire the better staff and be more of a relentless recruiter we are looking for?
    I prefer Campbell, but I can see Deboer having success as well. I think Deboer is the bigger risk and will have a more significant learning curve. Like the board has said, whoever gets hired will probably suck anyway, so why worry. I don't give a fuck anymore.
    Iron law of UW
  • Options

I prefer Campbell, but I can see Deboer having success as well. I think Deboer is the bigger risk and will have a more significant learning curve. Like the board has said, whoever gets hired will probably suck anyway, so why worry. I don't give a fuck anymore.
    Thanks Sonics for your input and contributions. After the Montana loss I got depressed too and meanwhile I have friends who are indifferent to the program. I guess UW never contacted a big name like I wanted them to.
  • Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    edited November 2021

Thanks Sonics for your input and contributions. After the Montana loss I got depressed too and meanwhile I have friends who are indifferent to the program. I guess UW never contacted a big name like I wanted them to.
    They had a conversation with Stoops that didn't go far, tried contacting Aranda but were rejected right away and have tried with Matt for the last week. They tried but had no success, unfortunately. Who knows, maybe Matt wakes up and agrees to accept the offer or maybe Kalen kills it at Washington.
  • Options
    Bummer to hear on Stoops. He would have been a game changer.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117

If we shot our shot with Campbell and we whiffed, who's your plan B? You're not a fan of DeBoer so I'm curious who your preferred backup is.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    digits said:

Derham Cato is their source?
    I was listening. A few players were in the chat for a period but didn’t talk. A random guy said his buddy, a current player on the team heard from Cato that it’s Campbell. Why Cato would know I don’t know. He said his buddy told him that half an hour before. Which was after the sources had switched back to Deboner.
  • Options
    ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664

If there’s anything I’m disappointed at in this process it’s that we went limp with our hiring process while SC just went from six to midnight. Folks were joking about how they were going to fuck up again, meanwhile we were afraid to talk to the 10’s in the room after the first one turned us away, aimed for a 7, and settled for a 6. Where the fuck are the rumors that we forced Fickell to say no because Jen wouldn’t stop waving checks in his face, or the private jet full of strippers sent to Kiffin to see if he wants to leave the SEC? I mean for fucks sake, even if we didn’t end up wanting to hire Kiffin it’s at least worth bumming a trip on a private jet to find that out.