Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Favorite Apple Cup Memory?

Comments

• DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 798
    My freshman year in Pullman to clinch the Rose Bowl. Coldest I have ever been.
    On the field after the game Larry Triplett grabbed me and lifted me up like a child, I was not a small person.
    2000 was early in the everyone has cell phones era I’m pretty sure the technology hadn’t made it to Pullman yet. I got separated from my friends at some point, couldn’t get a hold of anyone. I might have frozen to death if I didn’t just happen to run in to a guy I had worked with that summer who let me sleep on his couch.
    God, Pullman fucking sucks.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,707
    edited November 2021
    2003, Gilby's finest moment as HC

Worst: watching the 1982 AC from my dorm room at Central on a tiny BW set seeing the season crashing down along with the goal posts in Pullman.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    I don't recall my favorites.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,520 Swaye's Wigwam

Two come immediately to mind, my first was the 1991 game. My first attended game ever. I got a free 100 years of Husky football poster which I still have to this day. Our Dwags destroyed the Coug and roses covered the field. Amazing. Two, I happened to get AC tickets to the Pickett to Williams game. Being of age for that one I was quite drunk. I remember wandering around the stadium because I'd lost my seats. I came out of a random tunnel and started partying with a small portion of the band that had popped up on my side of the field, shared a shot of my flask with a drummer and trumpet player and then celebrated with and hugged a gaggle strangers that I didn't come with or sit with all because I was too drunk to find wherever the fuck I was sitting when the pass was completed. Unreal.

Aside: Does the Husky band still send out pockets of the band to play in different sections? Used to love that as a kid.

i forgot about that. it was great. that was Bill Bissell. perhaps @MelloDawg can provide some inside baseball
    The 3rd quarter pep band. Brad McDavid did it as well. If there was a product on the field good enough to where I frequently went to the games, I could address if they still do it or not. Everybody seemed to like it so I don’t see why they’d ever stop it.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,132
    2002 ?

Gordon Reece and the bahawkwards pass. With the dasani bottles being hurled onto the field MANY with an unknown yellowish liquid inside. Last leg of the NW championship. (Was there for all three.)

Drove back to Seattle after the game and my wife has me watch the sports recap. Turns out Hawaii and Cincinnati had a brawl because Cincnnati can't handle losing.

Both games (post games) made national news.

Oh, and got stopped by the State Patrol in the middle of the state for erratic driving. Thank Gwad my brother quit drinking so I was sober. He let me off once he saw I was a Husky fan.
  • 79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 713 Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

1) 1990 I'm in 6th grade and one of my 2 dads takes me to Pullme and the Apple Cup. First, he didn't want to walk around the Student line to get in the Field house, so he took me through the student line decked in P&G. One of the cuog fathful let me know I was personally #1.

I go into the stadium early and someone calls in a bomb threat. PA announcer instructs everyone already in the stadium to look under their seats and if they see anything suspicious to stand up and raise their hands over their heads. The entire student sections stands and raises their hands up. The PA announcer "this is not a joke"

Lastly at Martin Stadium for players to get to the field from the locker room they had to cross the concourse in plain view of all. At the half, I stopped Mark Brunnel and get an autograph. That he stopped for 11 yo me is me and signed my ticket stub is a moment I will never forget.

2) Picket to C Williams. Sheer pandemonium in the stadium. Indelible moment..

3) In Pullme with the 2000 Rose Bowel team. Cold. As. Fuck. Up 4 or 5 scores at the half, peace out bitches. Apparently a WSU player felt the same and packed up his locker at the half, never to return. I seem to recall @dnc will know that famous WSU player's name who should be enshrined with a statue at Montlake.

pawz said:

1) 1990 I'm in 6th grade and one of my 2 dads takes me to Pullme and the Apple Cup. First, he didn't want to walk around the Student line to get in the Field house, so he took me through the student line decked in P&G. One of the cuog fathful let me know I was personally #1.

I go into the stadium early and someone calls in a bomb threat. PA announcer instructs everyone already in the stadium to look under their seats and if they see anything suspicious to stand up and raise their hands over their heads. The entire student sections stands and raises their hands up. The PA announcer "this is not a joke"

Lastly at Martin Stadium for players to get to the field from the locker room they had to cross the concourse in plain view of all. At the half, I stopped Mark Brunnel and get an autograph. That he stopped for 11 yo me is me and signed my ticket stub is a moment I will never forget.

2) Picket to C Williams. Sheer pandemonium in the stadium. Indelible moment..

3) In Pullme with the 2000 Rose Bowel team. Cold. As. Fuck. Up 4 or 5 scores at the half, peace out bitches. Apparently a WSU player felt the same and packed up his locker at the half, never to return. I seem to recall @dnc will know that famous WSU player's name who should be enshrined with a statue at Montlake.

Only tim ive been to Pullman, rushed the field and was chanting rose bowl rose bowl with Chad Ward in front if me. That was awesome
  • no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 761
    Sitting in the end zone for the 2008 Apple Cup was memorable. Haven't decided whether it was my favorite, but it was the perfect ending to that season.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,371 Founders Club
    Cougzz said:

Although my Cougs lost the ‘89 AC in Seattle I was thoroughly entertained when police maced UW students rushing the field. ‘We’ had a lousy team and lost by a ton, but the post-game cops v. kids scrimmage was heart-warming.

You lost 20-9
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,371 Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

Two come immediately to mind, my first was the 1991 game. My first attended game ever. I got a free 100 years of Husky football poster which I still have to this day. Our Dwags destroyed the Coug and roses covered the field. Amazing. Two, I happened to get AC tickets to the Pickett to Williams game. Being of age for that one I was quite drunk. I remember wandering around the stadium because I'd lost my seats. I came out of a random tunnel and started partying with a small portion of the band that had popped up on my side of the field, shared a shot of my flask with a drummer and trumpet player and then celebrated with and hugged a gaggle strangers that I didn't come with or sit with all because I was too drunk to find wherever the fuck I was sitting when the pass was completed. Unreal.

Aside: Does the Husky band still send out pockets of the band to play in different sections? Used to love that as a kid.

i forgot about that. it was great. that was Bill Bissell. perhaps @MelloDawg can provide some inside baseball
    The 3rd quarter pep band. Brad McDavid did it as well. If there was a product on the field good enough to where I frequently went to the games, I could address if they still do it or not. Everybody seemed to like it so I don’t see why they’d ever stop it.
    I've usually sat in the upper deck over the years, and I don't remember seeing that happen since maybe 1995 or 2000.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,250 Swaye's Wigwam

Similar but different but one of my markers for the death of Husky football was I've always sat in the lower Southeast side of the stadium and the cheerleaders would come by a few times during the game and do some cheers down on the track below us. Then one game in the mid-2000s when things had officially gone to shit the section booed them away because no one wanted to cheer for getting beaten at home by Cal or some shit.

They never came back in another game from what I remember.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,698 Founders Club
    FireCohen said:

Who can forget the glory of 08 apple cup. Two loser programs playing for the honor of going 0-12

We? won that honor. Joke's on them.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,520 Swaye's Wigwam

MelloDawg said:

I've usually sat in the upper deck over the years, and I don't remember seeing that happen since maybe 1995 or 2000.
    My recollection of Husky football is hazy after 2003 for good reason so I wouldn’t begrudge you for not remembering. That said, it occurred while I was there. I was active participant in it.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member Posts: 2,911
    Probably 2015 the Cougars were 8-3 and feeling plucky. Gabe Marks got mad then got his knee wrecked. It was a year the Cuogs thought they could win which always makes things better. It was their best year since 2003 and they absoluteky took it on the chin. It was a sign that things were looking up under Petersen and gave me hope.