Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jen Cohen has got to go NOW

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Jen had a no-brainer hire of Eric Musselman and instead hires a guy who couldn’t take over for a coach who pees himself. She hired Jimmy without having any knowledge/oversite in making him successful…the John Donovan hire should never have happened because any competent AD would have put a stop to it.

The idea of her hiring anyone should frighten everyone.

So Jen’s supposed to be the expert on OC hires?

It was a questionable at best hire at the time and the disaster it turned out to be was a contributing factor in Jimmy getting rightfully fired

But having an AD overtly micro manage hiring decisions by her directs … that’s not how things work

I’m plenty critical of Jen but not in this regard … that’s 1000% on Jimmy
    If an AD sees her staff member making a colossal mistake, you intervene. This is not difficult.
    Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

I’m asking you to clarify as to not jump to conclusions

If I’m jumping to conclusions I’d expect you to say that if you were the AD you would have blocked and not signed off on the hire

If I'm running a business, and I see an employee making a terrible decision, I intervene.
    So you’re going to micro manage your employees

It’s an approach
    Making a hire that could crater an entire season = micromanaging

Sure buddy
    With all due respect DJ, comments like this from you (and others) are ones where I just shake my head and sigh because this just isn’t how business is done.

Mr Anus gave a really good reason why what you and others are suggesting doesn’t work

Whatever
    Well we'll agree to disagree
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,446
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone take the internet as seriously as @haie

It means so fucking much to that guy….

Yeah.
    Vacuum cleaner salesman hot take.

The state of Oregon.

Full of "guys who do take much seriously"
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Make shitty hires…talk prowess shit, get rocked by same team you talked shit about. Loose your cool..hit zero star walk on kid named fucking Ruperake. Claim you were just breaking it up. Loosing more winning less. Be an arrogant douche. Not appear to care about recruiting. Blah blah blah.

As a fan it’s just lame that the AD comes across as so passive aggressive here with the decision making process. Could have just said, we’re not winning enough. We wish Jimmy the best in the future.

Here’s to hoping Jen nails this hire. The coaching been weak the last 30 years except for the Weasel and Petersen.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Jen had a no-brainer hire of Eric Musselman and instead hires a guy who couldn’t take over for a coach who pees himself. She hired Jimmy without having any knowledge/oversite in making him successful…the John Donovan hire should never have happened because any competent AD would have put a stop to it.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I need to hear from @JackWelchDawg on organizational accountability.

Bottom 10% broomed annually.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It was a questionable at best hire at the time and the disaster it turned out to be was a contributing factor in Jimmy getting rightfully fired

But having an AD overtly micro manage hiring decisions by her directs … that’s not how things work

If an AD sees her staff member making a colossal mistake, you intervene. This is not difficult.
    Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

If I’m jumping to conclusions I’d expect you to say that if you were the AD you would have blocked and not signed off on the hire

If I'm running a business, and I see an employee making a terrible decision, I intervene.

It’s an approach
    You already discussed how you’d intervene by asking critical questions, etc.

As mentioned, Jen is so far over her head she let jimmy do whatever he wanted. I have a feeling much of that attitude comes from her inheriting Pete and Pete delivered. Jen thought Jimmy would do the same and instead, the program is at yet another crossroad with an over her head, incompetent AD making the critical choices.
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,548
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

thechatch said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone take the internet as seriously as @haie

It means so fucking much to that guy….

Yeah.
    Vacuum cleaner salesman hot take.

The state of Oregon.

Full of "guys who do take much seriously"
    Almost 11,000 posts and 95% of them are you lashing out at people, in a desperate and awkward attempt to belittle them with the goal of making yourself appear smarter or more successful, or whatever it is that happens to be driving your feelings of inferiority complex that day.

Everybody here sees it, little buddy. When you prattle on about STEM programs at a university you may or may not have attended a quarter century ago or when you brag about managing “white collar professionals” it’s so plainly obvious how much the people here who really don’t give a shit about you have gotten inside your head.

But you have a wonderful day. I gotta go sell some vacuum cleaners.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Why the fuck do people want Bob Stoops? Hire him so he can recruit decently and then retire after 3-4 years like CP?

Let's not forget he retired for a reason. Just because you were great once doesn't mean the evolution of the game won't catch up to you some day.

He is only 61 and he was successful all the way through the end this isn’t a Mack Brown hire.

Even if he won’t stay more than 5-6 years we need someone who can urgently right the ship with little downside risk.

Then next time we just need to not fuck up the handover.

Why the fuck do people want Bob Stoops? Hire him so he can recruit decently and then retire after 3-4 years like CP?

Let's not forget he retired for a reason. Just because you were great once doesn't mean the evolution of the game won't catch up to you some day.

He is only 61 and he was successful all the way through the end this isn’t a Mack Brown hire.

Even if he won’t stay more than 5-6 years we need someone who can urgently right the ship with little downside risk.

Then next time we just need to not fuck up the handover.
    Also, Stoops seems to hire good assistants which would be helpful for the next hire when he retires.

ATBS, Stoops is not coming here.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    edited November 2021
    Why is this whole thing still a conversation?

Jen hired Jimmy based upon a lot of factors but the primary one could well have been CP's vote of confidence in Jimmy.

New situation. Blank slate.

Coach wants to make an obvious disastrous hire.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is it a good idea to just rubberstamp a hire that will certainly crater the organization for three years minimum.

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

Given the circumstances and the previous years of ongoing OC complaints about Smiffy, the OC position was a very high profile hire for the HC. And even the most neutral, detached view of Donovan would raise serious questions about his qualifications. A competent AD would've required Jimmy to make his case for Donovan and sell the AD on it.

It appears no such bargaining sessions ever took place and Donovan was a shoe-in under Lake. That's bad Leadership by an AD who supposedly gave a shit about coaching hires in her department.

This one should never have been a hands-off hire for Jimmy to make and you can't have accountability without specific goals and promises, which likewise appear to never have been made.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

It’s an approach
    Shut up.

You don't know shit on the subject so piss off.
    I know way more than you think

If you’re having to do what DJ is thinking should have done … it’s a bad strategy long term

What that is saying is that you hired the wrong person to start with

The JonDon hire isn’t about JonDon … it was about Jimmy

The JonDon hire, the firings of your recruiting/support staff, pushing out K … all of that shows that Jimmy was clueless at the job of being a head coach

If you’re going to be Jimmy’s boss and tell him he can’t make a hire … you might as well fire him right then and there

That’s the point

Yeah, No. The point is not whether to usurp the HC, Teq. It's to question his choices and allow him to sell or defend them. Part of leadership is forcing your underlings to think long and hard about their choices and the consequences of them. It's not the Battle of the Bulge, nor is it a one-way street. People talk for a reason.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

It’s an approach
    Making a hire that could crater an entire season = micromanaging

Sure buddy
    With all due respect DJ, comments like this from you (and others) are ones where I just shake my head and sigh because this just isn’t how business is done.

Mr Anus gave a really good reason why what you and others are suggesting doesn’t work

Whatever
    If UW was manufacturing widgets, I'd agree. They aren't, so I don't. Teq, you must be aware of "MBA Thinking" a short-hand description of extremely narrow group-think pathologies interjected into discussions where they don't belong. This is not a slam against people with an MBA, but typical of persons who know an MBA or two, and love to say shit like "We need to run this School District/Water Department or SDOT like a business." Bullshit. And a true MBA would recognize the massive differences and chasms immediately.
  • Options

I need to hear from @JackWelchDawg on organizational accountability.

Bottom 10% broomed annually.

I was gonna say Chainsaw Al Dunlap. But Welch is plenty analogous, too.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

It’s an approach
    You already discussed how you’d intervene by asking critical questions, etc.

As mentioned, Jen is so far over her head she let jimmy do whatever he wanted. I have a feeling much of that attitude comes from her inheriting Pete and Pete delivered. Jen thought Jimmy would do the same and instead, the program is at yet another crossroad with an over her head, incompetent AD making the critical choices.
    Agreed on her approach to Pete … lots of reasons it works for Pete and it hides Jen’s gaps

Her gaps got exposed by Jimmy and he’d have sunk the ship if he didn’t cause easy to identify fixable damage to start

Big difference in having up front discussions vs blocking a hire after a candidate is identified
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

Given the circumstances and the previous years of ongoing OC complaints about Smiffy, the OC position was a very high profile hire for the HC. And even the most neutral, detached view of Donovan would raise serious questions about his qualifications. A competent AD would've required Jimmy to make his case for Donovan and sell the AD on it.

I agree with this … it’s also very different from blocking the hire

If Jimmy could in any way make a case for the hire then you have to let it go … the obvious consequence is him getting fired for that decision
  • Options

Tequilla said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Intervene how?
    Jesus Christ Teq.
    It’s a simple question

It’s an approach
    Shut up.

You don't know shit on the subject so piss off.
    I know way more than you think

If you’re having to do what DJ is thinking should have done … it’s a bad strategy long term

What that is saying is that you hired the wrong person to start with

The JonDon hire isn’t about JonDon … it was about Jimmy

The JonDon hire, the firings of your recruiting/support staff, pushing out K … all of that shows that Jimmy was clueless at the job of being a head coach

If you’re going to be Jimmy’s boss and tell him he can’t make a hire … you might as well fire him right then and there

That’s the point

Yeah, No. The point is not whether to usurp the HC, Teq. It's to question his choices and allow him to sell or defend them. Part of leadership is forcing your underlings to think long and hard about their choices and the consequences of them. It's not the Battle of the Bulge, nor is it a one-way street. People talk for a reason.
    Talk good … I encourage that.

Nowhere did I suggest that an AD shouldn’t have those conversations … they absolutely should

There’s also accountability for actions … if you go to bat for a hire that fails spectacularly you’re going to go down with that ship
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,502
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla youre off base here.

There is a reason Directors are usually involved in the interview process for many corporate decisions. It's very rare for a manager to hire someone without any other interviews or feedback. Its hard to get hired nowadays at a publicly traded company without getting the sign off from 4 or 5 different suits