Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DeBoer

Comments

• Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    One thing to call out is his tenure as HC at Sioux Falls ended in 2009 and he spent the next decade as an OC for several programs before becoming an HC again last year. I'm not sure if it's a big deal but I did find it odd that there was such a long gap between HC positions.
  • Options
    GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 433
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    DeBoer could be a good hire, but he has to bring Grubb to work his magic with the OL and needs to bring in a different defensive staff with recruiters.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

The helpful thing is that I bet Tedford knows DeBoer due to their Fresno State ties and is probably talking him up to Cohen.

DeBoer as HC and Wilcox as his DC would be pretty NEAT.

Woof, snarl, bark.

Does Tedford talk to Cohen? I think the more realistic scenario would be Tedford is talking to him up to Pete. The bigger question is, will Pete push for DeBoer or his protege WIlcox? Cohen worships Pete so his recommendation carries a lot of weight despite the Jimmy fiasco.
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

HFNY said:

The helpful thing is that I bet Tedford knows DeBoer due to their Fresno State ties and is probably talking him up to Cohen.

Woof, snarl, bark.

Does Tedford talk to Cohen? I think the more realistic scenario would be Tedford is talking to him up to Pete. The bigger question is, will Pete push for DeBoer or his protege WIlcox? Cohen worships Pete so his recommendation carries a lot of weight despite the Jimmy fiasco.
    And Pete recommended Jimmy.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

HFNY said:

Woof, snarl, bark.

• Options

DeBoer could be a good hire, but he has to bring Grubb to work his magic with the OL and needs to bring in a different defensive staff with recruiters.

Yeah, hiring DeBoer should be contingent on his ability to assemble a good staff, especially on the defensive side. Assistants with proven track records at P5 schools and strong recruiters are a must. I'm dooging for the idea of Sam running his offense but also scared shitless about the defense regressing back to the Nick Holt years.
  • Options
    GayThoughtsGayThoughts Member Posts: 433

Yeah, hiring DeBoer should be contingent on his ability to assemble a good staff, especially on the defensive side. Assistants with proven track records at P5 schools and strong recruiters are a must. I'm dooging for the idea of Sam running his offense but also scared shitless about the defense regressing back to the Nick Holt years.
    The doog in me would be all aboard if he could bring Orlondo Steinauer back home to run the defense.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    How big is your de boer?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

One thing to call out is his tenure as HC at Sioux Falls ended in 2009 and he spent the next decade as an OC for several programs before becoming an HC again last year. I'm not sure if it's a big deal but I did find it odd that there was such a long gap between HC positions.

NCAA DI OC is a step up from NAIA head coach IMO.

Maybe he could have skipped the Eastern Michigan step but overall its a pretty steady progression and he is only 47.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Gladstone said:

Those quotes don't mean anything to me. Coachspeak is coachspeak. I do like that his career record as a HC is 77-9, and that he won 3 national titles at the lower level. They were a very good program before him but they never broke through once they were upgraded to the Great Plains Athletic Conference, the previous HC only made a 'ship game once and lost. DeBoer took over and won three national championships in four years, with the off fourth year a loss in the national championship game. If we're talking potential Husky HCs, that's a fucking start. As an OC he improved every D1 offense he worked with, oftentimes dramatically improved them. Indiana in 2019 was destroying people on O, and they sucked before DeBoer arrived and sucked after, so yeah.

He would be near the top of my list, yes. Getting assblasted by Boise last week and losing at worthless Hawaii (as PGOS noted) takes some of the shine off it though. This shit is almost always a crapshoot unless you're hiring someone like Urban fucking Meyer.

67-3 at the NAIA level is still 67-3 though, good lord. That level of dominance down there is very Brian Kelly or Jim Tressel-esque.

I’ve always if you’re going after a lower or G5 coach, you hire a guy that ass blasts the competition. Pete’s 92-12 record at Boise fit that theory and DeBoner fits it as well.
    If he can win with shitty white kids from Kingco at the NAIA level he can win anywhere!!!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

HFNY said:

Woof, snarl, bark.

Pete wants Bob or Moore
  • Options
    KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    digits said:

All I know is I would take DeBoer over Wilcox and Herman. DeBoer's offense with Sam Huard at the helm could be dangerous, but DeBoer would have to hire an ace defensive coordinator.

Bob Gregory?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

HFNY said:

Woof, snarl, bark.

Pete wants Bob or Moore
    I want Chris Petersen to have as little influence in this hire as humanly possible
    If Pete is the key to pull Bob Stoops here I'm absolutely fine with him being involved.
    Stoops would run rouge on these shit coaches in our conference. Please allah. Give us a St. Ruperake’s day miracle!
    Rouge?