Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Income inequality on the ski hill

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,536
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Olympia School District ran a bus to Crystal Mountain for 8 weeks. I did it in the 8th grade and learned to ski. Never skied again

I'm guessing it wasn't free and only those of us in a life of privilege had parents that paid but I don't remember
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,536
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,900

So, same thing as the Disney "fast pass" for Disneyland.

The logic against seems to be that a resort like Bachelor operates on US Forest Service land, so there's a bit of a egalitarian thing going on here. Disneyland being private property can gouge the fuck out of everyone as much as they want. Shit I spent like a $100.00 alone on blended margs at California Adventure this past August.

Speaking of Disneyland, what can we do @UW_Doog_Bot to get them to start selling drinks in the OG park?
    Titanic and airlines are more analogous to the Disneyland in regards to being private businesses. Bachelor is MY hill but I don't have a strong opinion either way. I get both sides but if I'm buying a lift ticket, I'd upgrade to the fast pass no problem on a busy weekend. Mid week or during shitty weather, there's no need.
    You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper
    Skiing is a rich man's game even for the pours. I paid $1,079 for my season pass.

I don't think you're a SR throbber yet, but Silver Mt is only $499 for a season.
    Already purchased ours last spring. On sale.

#thrifty

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,987
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The logic against seems to be that a resort like Bachelor operates on US Forest Service land, so there's a bit of a egalitarian thing going on here. Disneyland being private property can gouge the fuck out of everyone as much as they want. Shit I spent like a $100.00 alone on blended margs at California Adventure this past August.

Speaking of Disneyland, what can we do @UW_Doog_Bot to get them to start selling drinks in the OG park?
    Titanic and airlines are more analogous to the Disneyland in regards to being private businesses. Bachelor is MY hill but I don't have a strong opinion either way. I get both sides but if I'm buying a lift ticket, I'd upgrade to the fast pass no problem on a busy weekend. Mid week or during shitty weather, there's no need.
    You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper
    Skiing is a rich man's game even for the pours. I paid $1,079 for my season pass.

I don't think you're a SR throbber yet, but Silver Mt is only $499 for a season.
    Already purchased ours last spring. On sale.

#thrifty

I hear they have a real long gonga-la.
  • Options

You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper

It’s absolutely a rich man’s game. I went to a certain college and a key reason was to snowboard frequently. Problem was, a day at the mountain and gas, weed, eating, etc would have me eating ramen noodles and too broke to go to bars on the weekend. I basically gave it up and haven’t gotten back into it since. One of these years, I’m getting back to it and will probably even switch back to skiing like I did as a child.
    I think if you live relatively close to mountain and buy a season pass, it can still be a middle class pursuit. For example Bachelor is 25- 30 mins from my driveway and if I ski 20 days this winter, it would be just over $50.00 a pop and about $8.00 in gas round trip. I get a lot of mileage out of my gear as well after the initial investment.

The tricky part is where do you find middle class housing with in 30- 60 mins of a good ski area? Missoula, Bend, Bozeman, Salt Lake, are all getting pretty spendy.
    Mullan, Wallace, Harrison, Kingston, Athol.

(SWIDT?)

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper

It’s absolutely a rich man’s game. I went to a certain college and a key reason was to snowboard frequently. Problem was, a day at the mountain and gas, weed, eating, etc would have me eating ramen noodles and too broke to go to bars on the weekend. I basically gave it up and haven’t gotten back into it since. One of these years, I’m getting back to it and will probably even switch back to skiing like I did as a child.
    I think if you live relatively close to mountain and buy a season pass, it can still be a middle class pursuit. For example Bachelor is 25- 30 mins from my driveway and if I ski 20 days this winter, it would be just over $50.00 a pop and about $8.00 in gas round trip. I get a lot of mileage out of my gear as well after the initial investment.

The tricky part is where do you find middle class housing with in 30- 60 mins of a good ski area? Missoula, Bend, Bozeman, Salt Lake, are all getting pretty spendy.

(SWIDT?)

How are the Milfs in Kellog?
  • Options

You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper

(SWIDT?)

How are the Milfs in Kellog?
    Descendants of the hookers in Wallace.

So nice. Very nice.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ftr they do sell booze in the OG Park. You just have to not be a poor.

Fitting to the OP.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fitting to the OP.
    Jeebus, man. Just cause I don't have a membership to Club 33 doth not make me a pour.

I think the only other 2 booze outlets in the OG park are the Blue Bayou restaurant + Oga's and these are both very recent to selling alcohol.

California adventure park has beer and margs as far as the eye can see.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fitting to the OP.
    Jeebus, man. Just cause I don't have a membership to Club 33 doth not make me a pour.

I think the only other 2 booze outlets in the OG park are the Blue Bayou restaurant + Oga's and these are both very recent to selling alcohol.

Look man, we are working pour wage slaves. We might be better off than the average doog but thems the facts. Smuggle your booze in in a sunscreen bottle like our forefathers and call it a day.

Either that or slam five or six cocktails in downtown Disney and drunk walk your way in like a professional from E lot.
    I do get bullied from time to time by rich old fucks at the cuntry club driving range.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,092
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Dude lives in my old home town.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fitting to the OP.

Look man, we are working pour wage slaves. We might be better off than the average doog but thems the facts. Smuggle your booze in in a sunscreen bottle like our forefathers and call it a day.

Either that or slam five or six cocktails in downtown Disney and drunk walk your way in like a professional from E lot.
    @Swaye and I have had many a fascinating podcast exchange on the difference between being a relatively well off wage slave and having REAL money.

I mean I get to do a lot of fun rich people type stuff in life between travel and playing on their golf courses.

But when it comes down to it, I'm still just a broke ass pour who can even get a shitty little Tudor BB like @BleachedAnusDawg
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,551
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Fitting to the OP.

@Swaye and I have had many a fascinating podcast exchange on the difference between being a relatively well off wage slave and having REAL money.

I mean I get to do a lot of fun rich people type stuff in life between travel and playing on their golf courses.

But when it comes down to it, I'm still just a broke ass pour who can even get a shitty little Tudor BB like @BleachedAnusDawg
    I'm gonna have to get some nice action shots of the Tudor BB58 on the slopes this winter.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fitting to the OP.

Even better go to Knott's Berry Farm instead and drink a moscow mule or whiskey sour at the Saloon while listening to live ragtime piano.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fitting to the OP.

I'm gonna have to get some nice action shots of the Tudor BB58 on the slopes this winter.
    I'll be starting the flex Friday type official season thread pretty soon. A place for all your powder pics and watch flexes on the chairlift.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,822
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I don’t see myself doing it. The chairs I’m usually on - Northwest and Outback - never seem to get that busy even on the weekends.

It will be funny to see how it plays out because the pours and threatening too boo and shit talk the fast pass bros.
    This is the insider Intel I pay $10.95/mo for.

The last time I skied Batchelor, there was no such thing as Northwest.