Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Yella’s morning after thoughts

Comments

• Options
    AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,478
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

AOG said:

The loss is about equivalent to losing to a lower-tier FBS team. A #9 FCS team is about like a lower FBS team. You guys don't/won't accept that. In the last 10 years three FCS teams have played the Huskies tough -- Eastern twice took the Huskees to the 4th quarter and now this... if you book a top notch FCS team you can't run one series and go on fucking cruise control.

But the real reason for this is the total lack of a real coaching search. He had no head coaching experience.

So they're probably as good as New Mexico State or something, but with 22 fewer players...so there's no possible excuse for scoring 7 pts. and losing

Bobby Hack got fired from powerhouse UNLV, but he beat Jim Fake....let that sink in...
    The effect is simply that a really good FCS team =~ lower type FBS team, and can readily beat such... which seems pretty obvious from evidence of the scores around the league

too.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    AOG said:

AOG said:

The loss is about equivalent to losing to a lower-tier FBS team. A #9 FCS team is about like a lower FBS team. You guys don't/won't accept that. In the last 10 years three FCS teams have played the Huskies tough -- Eastern twice took the Huskees to the 4th quarter and now this... if you book a top notch FCS team you can't run one series and go on fucking cruise control.

But the real reason for this is the total lack of a real coaching search. He had no head coaching experience.

So they're probably as good as New Mexico State or something, but with 22 fewer players...so there's no possible excuse for scoring 7 pts. and losing

Bobby Hack got fired from powerhouse UNLV, but he beat Jim Fake....let that sink in...
    The effect is simply that a really good FCS team =~ lower type FBS team, and can readily beat such... which seems pretty obvious from evidence of the scores around the league

too.
    Our depth and talent is way better than whoever the best team of those is...possibly Vanderbilt

Sleepwalking to a 17-13 win is one thing. I went to a gayme in which we only beat San Jose State by 7 or something. We lost and scored a touchdown against a team a couple tiers below us.
  • Options

AOG said:

AOG said:

too.
    Our depth and talent is way better than whoever the best team of those is...possibly Vanderbilt

Sleepwalking to a 17-13 win is one thing. I went to a gayme in which we only beat San Jose State by 7 or something. We lost and scored a touchdown against a team a couple tiers below us.
    It would be much much worse if the FCS team was a mediocre. Montana has a strong history and is a regular contender. Of course the UW should have won, but they coasted after the first drive.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

AOG said:

AOG said:

too.
    I hate you, but this is true. Montana has had some teams that are mid level MWC and WAC types. Idaho dipped down to FCS and are a shitty team in the Big Sky.

UW should blow those teams out and we normally do. A couple years ago we were blowing out 9 win Fresno State by 40+.
    It's seemed to me for a long time that if the UW books FCS teams, get a contender, since then fans might think there is a reason to go to the game. Eastern and Montana will at least put a fight. Montana didn't know they were supposed to give up after the first series. After this loss fans are going to be wise to the situation. It's been happening to OSU and WSU for years.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited September 2021
    AOG said:

AOG said:

AOG said:

too.

It would be much much worse if the FCS team was a mediocre. Montana has a strong history and is a regular contender. Of course the UW should have won, but they coasted after the first drive.
    To the average fan, it doesn't matter. Some on here are more sophisticated. Either way, they're literally below us. Their stadium is smaller than probably 25 Texas high school stadiums, and it should be over by the third. An average coaching staff figures it out, both scheme and motivational wise. I watched some highlights lowlights, and none of that happened. They were pushing us around. We have to outweigh them by a lot. We went from Tedford being a de facto OC to this joker Donovan. I don't consider myself super negative, but there's no reason to be positive right now. We're 50th in recruiting, and that might drop. The team has enough talent to get six or seven wins, and everyone on here knows that's good enough no matter the coach's race. So it might take three years for him to get fired, or more. When I was younger, I was naive and tolerated guys like Try and Sark because I thought they needed three or four years. This is a thousand red flags. Montana has always been a top Big Sky team. Maybe the coaches should have mentioned that before the game or in the second quarter when the Dawgs were lollygagging and sleepwalking. This is up there with 2008.
  • Options

AOG said:

AOG said:

AOG said:

too.

To the average fan, it doesn't matter. Some on here are more sophisticated. Either way, they're literally below us. Their stadium is smaller than probably 25 Texas high school stadiums, and it should be over by the third. An average coaching staff figures it out, both scheme and motivational wise. I watched some highlights lowlights, and none of that happened. They were pushing us around. We have to outweigh them by a lot. We went from Tedford being a de facto OC to this joker Donovan. I don't consider myself super negative, but there's no reason to be positive right now. We're 50th in recruiting, and that might drop. The team has enough talent to get six or seven wins, and everyone on here knows that's good enough no matter the coach's race. So it might take three years for him to get fired, or more. When I was younger, I was naive and tolerated guys like Try and Sark because I thought they needed three or four years. This is a thousand red flags. Montana has always been a top Big Sky team. Maybe the coaches should have mentioned that before the game or in the second quarter when the Dawgs were lollygagging and sleepwalking. This is up there with 2008.
    It reminded me of the Fresno loss in 2004 which was really the milestone marking the long decline. Is it that bad? we'll see...
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    AOG said:

AOG said:

Bullshit. You absolutely can go on cruise control against "good" FCS teams and lower tier mid majors. We've done it countless times. So have other teams. The talent differential is massive, that's why this loss is rightly getting the attention it is. It's a big fucking upset.
    You remind me of a guy who confident drinking and driving, has done it countless times and so have his friends. Finally he gets busted.
    Look at you missing the point entirely. No one is saying a game plan should be to go on cruise control. But the point is that you still can, and win handily. And we couldn't clear that comically low bar and it's why we suffered the worst loss in program history.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

AOG said:

AOG said:

Bullshit. You absolutely can go on cruise control against "good" FCS teams and lower tier mid majors. We've done it countless times. So have other teams. The talent differential is massive, that's why this loss is rightly getting the attention it is. It's a big fucking upset.
    You remind me of a guy who confident drinking and driving, has done it countless times and so have his friends. Finally he gets busted.
    Look at you missing the point entirely. No one is saying a game plan should be to go on cruise control. But the point is that you still can, and win handily. And we couldn't clear that comically low bar and it's why we suffered the worst loss in program history.
    I agree. Game should have been over at halftime.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

AOG said:

AOG said:

AOG said:

too.

Montana has always been a top Big Sky team. Maybe the coaches should have mentioned that before the game or in the second quarter when the Dawgs were lollygagging and sleepwalking. This is up there with 2008.
    Maybe Jimmy should have pulled a Brian Kelly and threatened to murder them
  • Options
    edited September 2021

AOG said:

AOG said:

I think the problem is a regard of all FCS teams the same without realizing that is exactly as realistic as thinking all FBS teams are the same. Even NAIA has teams down south that can probably compete against some FBS teams.

This team could probably compete against some FBS teams. https://www.d3football.com/teams/Mary_Hardin-Baylor/2019/index
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

guatedawg said:

Been gone for awhile.

Went to the game and felt like throwing up. This probably isn't as bad as losing to the Beavs as 37 point favorites a few years back, because we were a good team then. But this was fucking pathetic.

Why Jimmie was hired I do not know. I have not seen one move that tells me he is ready for this.

But you fuckers blaming this on Petersen pisses me off. Yes, Pete wanted his man to get the job. Why wouldn't he? Every fucking school in the country wanted Jimmie. We had him. Who knew he wasn't ready to HC. It wasn't til his OC hire that we all went What the fuck?

In a fucking second I would take Pete back.

"Pete couldn't beat Alabama" "Ohio State destroyed us" Get the fuck of here. I'll take 3 NY6 bowls in 6 years ANY FUCKING TIME.

Over/Under on the next time Dawgs go to 3 NY6 in 6 years - 2050. I'll put 50k on the fucking over. My kids will collect from you.

Trying to find new angles to blame Pete is silly. When he was here he won a lot of games, won two conference titles, and folded in the big spotlights. A better coach than all but maybe 5-10 of his contemporaries. That's his legacy.

Jimmy sucking is on nobody but Jimmy and Jen. And yeah, nobody is winning big here ever again. The cultural and instutional gap between us and the heavyweights is way too massive. Accept the decline and find a new fucking hobby. Learn to get excited about conference wins. That's going to be the high watermark going forward.
    I have to beg to differ with you here Green River. The timing of Pete's decision left UW scrambling and didn't help set us up for success. I hold a grudge here.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

guatedawg said:

Been gone for awhile.

Went to the game and felt like throwing up. This probably isn't as bad as losing to the Beavs as 37 point favorites a few years back, because we were a good team then. But this was fucking pathetic.

Why Jimmie was hired I do not know. I have not seen one move that tells me he is ready for this.

But you fuckers blaming this on Petersen pisses me off. Yes, Pete wanted his man to get the job. Why wouldn't he? Every fucking school in the country wanted Jimmie. We had him. Who knew he wasn't ready to HC. It wasn't til his OC hire that we all went What the fuck?

"Pete couldn't beat Alabama" "Ohio State destroyed us" Get the fuck of here. I'll take 3 NY6 bowls in 6 years ANY FUCKING TIME.

Over/Under on the next time Dawgs go to 3 NY6 in 6 years - 2050. I'll put 50k on the fucking over. My kids will collect from you.

Trying to find new angles to blame Pete is silly. When he was here he won a lot of games, won two conference titles, and folded in the big spotlights. A better coach than all but maybe 5-10 of his contemporaries. That's his legacy.

Jimmy sucking is on nobody but Jimmy and Jen. And yeah, nobody is winning big here ever again. The cultural and instutional gap between us and the heavyweights is way too massive. Accept the decline and find a new fucking hobby. Learn to get excited about conference wins. That's going to be the high watermark going forward.
    I have to beg to differ with you here Green River. The timing of Pete's decision left UW scrambling and didn't help set us up for success. I hold a grudge here.
    The timing? He went to Jen before the end of the season and told her the bowel game would be his last. She had ample tim to put together a real coaching search.

This isn't DJ resigning in August. It's not even RN getting into NCAA trouble in June (he shouldn't have been fired).

This was far and away the best possible situation for a real coaching search.

Jen just didn't want to do one.

Literally every HC anywhere recommends one of his assistants to take over. They usually suck.

What possible timing could have been better for Pete to resign?
    Announce in the summer that this will be the last season before retirement. Give the school more time to weigh their options.

Looking back a lot the emphasis seemed to be on holding the 2020 recruiting class together, which gave Jimmy a big leg up.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

guatedawg said:

Been gone for awhile.

The timing? He went to Jen before the end of the season and told her the bowel game would be his last. She had ample tim to put together a real coaching search.

This isn't DJ resigning in August. It's not even RN getting into NCAA trouble in June (he shouldn't have been fired).

This was far and away the best possible situation for a real coaching search.

Jen just didn't want to do one.

Literally every HC anywhere recommends one of his assistants to take over. They usually suck.

What possible timing could have been better for Pete to resign?
    Announce in the summer that this will be the last season before retirement. Give the school more time to weigh their options.

Looking back a lot the emphasis seemed to be on holding the 2020 recruiting class together, which gave Jimmy a big leg up.
    So you wanted him to have another full season as dead coach walking in 2020, or you wanted him to announce at the beginning of 2019 when he still wasn't sure if he was done or not?

I don't see how that is beneficial at all. In either case Jenn 100% names the best assistant as HC in waiting for the sake of recruiting (and keeping kids out of the portal).

After the season is far superior for having a real search.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Literally everyone was grateful for the timing of Pete's announcement at the time. This is massive revisionist history to suggest the timing was the problem.

Jenn's unwillingness to do any work and inability to recognize Jimmy wasn't the guy is the problem.

That wasn't going to change four months earlier or eight months later.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    In a text exchange with my brother.

Burn the whole place down.
    Fire all the coaches
    Forfeit the rest of the season
    Cancel football as a sports at UW.
    Seattle is no longer a UW football town.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,429
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pete retired January 1, 2019

Hope this helps