Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Any concern?

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

I bank with Chase so this doesn't effect me but it seems to be a red flag for the Wells Fargo brand that has taken a lot of hits

In 08 I had a line of credit on our house with Wa Mu. One day after Chase took over the line of credit was gone. No warning just gone.

Also noting on my RE hobby that prices seem to have topped and reductions are becoming more common. Not a crash don't twist. Just price reductions and hair cuts on sold properties

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2021
    Apologize for the stupid question. But does this include HELOCs?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Apologize for the stupid question. But does this include HELOCs?

Doesn't address it directly so I'd say no. But you need some sort of collateral to get that line of credit don't you? For most folks that's a house

It's an important distinction though
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,578
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited July 2021
    Yah, I woke up and saw that headline and went oh, oh... the first sign of line of credits disappearing [*poof] is a seminal event often times of the beginning of the end of easy money and the liquidity of real estate. Its like being suddenly senior, boom.

Other ramifications and twists are related lending programs like large scale commercial construction projects, business lines of credit and really any non-standard loan programs that twisted sister bank officers dream up while the going is good. In my own case, I'm just now trying to lock and get funded [should hear tomorrow, fingers crossed] on a non-standard 2.3% interest only loan at 1.4 million with a 10 year lock ~ this kind of thing in history has been super rare because it winds up being a non-saleable portfolio loan and is the definition of a super frothy easy money environment [can't believe that it is ever offered, especially at that kind of rate].
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yah, I woke up and saw that headline and went oh, oh... the first sign of line of credits disappearing [*poof] is a seminal event often times of the beginning of the end of easy money and the liquidity of real estate. Its like being suddenly senior, boom.

Other ramifications and twists are related lending programs like large scale commercial construction projects, business lines of credit and really any non-standard loan programs that twisted sister bank officers dream up while the going is good. In my own case, I'm just now trying to lock and get funded [should hear tomorrow, fingers crossed] on a non-standard 2.3% interest only loan at 1.4 million with a 10 year lock ~ this kind of thing in history has been super rare because it winds up being a non-saleable portfolio loan and is the definition of a super frothy easy money environment [can't believe that it is ever offered, especially at that kind of rate].

That got taken away in 08 from the company I worked for. Vital for a construction company. Put a real squeeze on things.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited July 2021
    And yah, have been actively following real estate in our area and about 3 weeks ago my in box notices shifted to the beginnings of and now a steady stream of increasing numbers of price reductions from the active listings notice i get daily ~ a definite reversal trend which I think is significant.

We are in the rural Sonoma Valley now which had been the go to destination for San Francisco bay area folks that had wanted to get out of the urban environment during covid and the decentralization move that was triggered by those seminal events, so i think the shift is meaningful.

The trends are interesting as a prelude to a rebalancing of liquidity in real estate and the capital markets as a whole as the dreaded evolution of the end of FED purchasing of corporate and government bonds materializes in the near future.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

I bank with Chase so this doesn't effect me but it seems to be a red flag for the Wells Fargo brand that has taken a lot of hits

In 08 I had a line of credit on our house with Wa Mu. One day after Chase took over the line of credit was gone. No warning just gone.

Also noting on my RE hobby that prices seem to have topped and reductions are becoming more common. Not a crash don't twist. Just price reductions and hair cuts on sold properties
    No. Not unless chase etc follow suit. Article makes it seem like it’s more Wells Fargo incompetence than anything
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2021
    ntxduck said:

No. Not unless chase etc follow suit. Article makes it seem like it’s more Wells Fargo incompetence than anything
    Wells was one of the few banks coming out the 08 nonsense not looking like an idiot. Then they got aggressive and got themselves into trouble with regulators. I think they getting their ballz squeezed and need the capital to free up. If boa and chase do the same, we are in for some ruff fucking prison style
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Wells Fargo are a corrupt bunch of Jackasses that got away with lots of criminal activities because Buffet ran cover for them.

I think he’s out now, so they must be running from some jackass decisions they previously made.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

And yah, have been actively following real estate in our area and about 3 weeks ago my in box notices shifted to the beginnings of and now a steady stream of increasing numbers of price reductions from the active listings notice i get daily ~ a definite reversal trend which I think is significant.

We are in the rural Sonoma Valley now which had been the go to destination for San Francisco bay area folks that had wanted to get out of the urban environment during covid and the decentralization move that was triggered by those seminal events, so i think the shift is meaningful.

The trends are interesting as a prelude to a rebalancing of liquidity in real estate and the capital markets as a whole as the dreaded evolution of the end of FED purchasing of corporate and government bonds materializes in the near future.

Is that because of too much inventory?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    @RoadDawg55
    No, up until now the +wave from city folk wanting to move here has created a true shortage... I have looked for a year for a cool place to buy and just now found one finally... there is no glut here, its just a shortage of new buyers even at historic and i mean historic interest rate lows.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,867
    Standard Supporter
    Wells Fargo is temporarily restricted from growing their balance sheet by the fed. There are other products that make more money for banks, so it makes sense to nix the personal lines of credit if they can expand their offerings of more profitable and possibly more important products. Either way, the bank is going to have to say "no more" to certain customers until the restriction is lifted. There is really nothing they can do to avoid these kinds of decisions until then.

As far as outlook goes, this move might actually be indicative that the bank is healthy, since they are looking for ways to make room for growth. Just a thought. I'm not an industry or stock expert.
  • Options
    louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 335
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I'm attempting to buy a house in Seattle and I agree with your assessment that price reductions are happening. 1-3 months ago everything was selling for at least 20% over asking. Now shit is sitting on the market a little longer and asking prices seem to be coming down a bit. Seems like it will probably be short term to me but the initial post-covid pop in housing, at least in Seattle, seems to have calmed for the time being.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2021

Wells Fargo is temporarily restricted from growing their balance sheet by the fed. There are other products that make more money for banks, so it makes sense to nix the personal lines of credit if they can expand their offerings of more profitable and possibly more important products. Either way, the bank is going to have to say "no more" to certain customers until the restriction is lifted. There is really nothing they can do to avoid these kinds of decisions until then.

As far as outlook goes, this move might actually be indicative that the bank is healthy, since they are looking for ways to make room for growth. Just a thought. I'm not an industry or stock expert.

This is also why they were limited with the PPP rollout. Those $5 monthly account fees don't seem worth it now, after the large fine, bad press, and now restrictions that are causing them to hemorrhage clients.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

That Baboon payment is gonna be special.