Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

An ode to DJ

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
People say I 'idolize' Stalin. Not true, I hold a fair and balanced view. The man was neither savior nor saint, but he was, at once, a very successful revolutionary, a great contributor to Marxist theory, and said to be a great listener and collaborator during discussions. And then there are his successes as a leader. First, the foresight to fear a belligerent German fascism, then the tactical ability to successfully defeat the world's greatest invading army, combined with the strength to make tough decisions that have no easy answers. I simply think one should read everything the man wrote and then make up your own mind. I would certainly conclude that he is one of the great leaders of the 20th c though.

Comments

• trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    edited June 2021
    LOL . . . Umm, nope. Stalin was not known for his intellectual prowess. He was better known for his paranoia, purges of those close to him in power and mass murder of his own people through starvation, the Gulags, use as mine fodder during WWII, etc.

Marx, Lenin and to a lesser extent Trotsky were the intellectuals. Stalin was a man of action. He took care of shit.

Dr. Asatar Bair is a dumbfuck that teaches economics at Riverside (CA) Community College. Fuck his take.

If you provide me with a list of EVERYTHING Stalin ever wrote, I’ll put it on my To Do list and get after it (as time permits).
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    edited June 2021
    https://www.amazon.com/Russia-at-War-1941-1945-History-ebook/dp/B01MQ0DVQM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=russia+at+war&qid=1624892266&sr=8-3

This book materially change my Stalin perspective ~ a great read of the eastern front war, the buildup of the Russian military, and the iron will of the Russian people that was required to defeat Nazi Germany.

The guy was a prescient military strategist... As an example, Stalin ordered that the entire economic war machine manufacturing be moved 1000 miles to east of the Ural Mountains (a previously thought to be impossible strategic move),and they were up and operating within 30 days as the Germans advanced toward Moscow which turned out to be the most strategic decision of world war 2...
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,774 Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

LOL . . . Umm, nope. Stalin was not known for his intellectual prowess. He was better known for his paranoia, purges of those close to him in power and mass murder of his own people through starvation, the Gulags, use as mine fodder during WWII, etc.

Marx, Lenin and to a lesser extent Trotsky were the intellectuals. Stalin was a man of action. He took care of shit.

Dr. Asatar Bair is a dumbfuck that teaches economics at Riverside (CA) Community College. Fuck his take.

If you provide me with a list of EVERYTHING Stalin ever wrote, I’ll put it on my To Do list and get after it (as time permits).

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I thought this was going to be about DJ Duck

Who.gif
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042

https://www.amazon.com/Russia-at-War-1941-1945-History-ebook/dp/B01MQ0DVQM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=russia+at+war&qid=1624892266&sr=8-3

This book materially change my Stalin perspective ~ a great read of the eastern front war, the buildup of the Russian military, and the iron will of the Russian people that was required to defeat Nazi Germany.

The guy was a prescient military strategist... As an example, Stalin ordered that the entire economic war machine manufacturing be moved 1000 miles to east of the Ural Mountains (a previously thought to be impossible strategic move),and they were up and operating within 30 days as the Germans advanced toward Moscow which turned out to be the most strategic decision of world war 2...

The United States also provided financial and military assistance (weaponry) to the USSR.

The Russian military and peasants fought gallantly and held Stalingrad. The commissars assigned to military units made certain of that.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    trublue said:

The United States also provided financial and military assistance (weaponry) to the USSR.

The Russian military and peasants fought gallantly and held Stalingrad. The commissars assigned to military units made certain of that.
    As in anything, they just need more tim to get their guys in there.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    edited June 2021
    exactly @Baseman, the Russians were hopelessly over matched from an arms and equipment standpoint as the German's advanced, so they sacrificed millions to slow down the Germans as they advanced in order to buy time to get their war machine rolling ~ but once they did, they were unstoppable, just like our recruiting effort.

By the mid point in the war, they had trained and equipped the largest ground army in history, and by the end of the war they had lost more solders than any nation in history, and still had a military that was 40% larger than the US, and had amassed the largest buildup of planes, tanks and weapons in the history of the world ~ almost all of which was Russian built, and substantially financed by the US.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    I thought this was going to be about Don James
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,774 Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

exactly @Baseman, the Russians were hopelessly over matched from an arms and equipment standpoint as the German's advanced, so they sacrificed millions to slow down the Germans as they advanced in order to buy time to get their war machine rolling ~ but once they did, they were unstoppable, just like our recruiting effort.

By the mid point in the war, they had trained and equipped the largest ground army in history, and by the end of the war they had lost more solders than any nation in history, and still had a military that was 40% larger than the US, and had amassed the largest buildup of planes, tanks and weapons in the history of the world ~ almost all of which was Russian built, and substantially financed by the US.

I see a lot of parallels with the WW2 era German military and the UW Sark run football program.

A lot of hype. A whole new Germany. New schemes, new attitude. Bold claims. Sark promised championships, Hitler promised Europe.

Sark practices were an event. Loud, great excitement. Hitler loved parades and his guys goosestepping. Both programs embraced their marching band.

Sark had Ivan, Hitler Goering. Both overpromised. Wait till Ivan gets hold of them, wait tell Goerings guyz take over the skies.

The Germans had wonder weapons, Sark had the fly-screen and bubble screens. Fancy shit that ultimately failed.

Then there was recruiting. Hitler had some 5-stars but there were more James Atoes than Otto Skorzany’s and thank the Lord for that.

At the end of the day, Hitler’s guyz stormed into Russia like Sark’s guyz ran out of the tunnel against LSU. For the first half, the Dawgs looked like they could take LSU only like the Germans at the gates of Stalingrad and within sight of the Kremlin, got their shit pushed in. The Germans brought their Panzerfausts but it was Kruchev who pulled the 🪠.

Sark went to the bottle, Hitler to the bunker.

The propaganda machines rolled on. 1943 would be special. The Germans at home continued their Seig Heil’s and Dawg fans waved their hats before kickoff.

Speaking out against the state was not only a no-no but punishable with the most severe methods.

The Gestapo came in the middle of the night for the disbelievers while skeptical Husky fans disappeared without warning, just gone.
    Gifted writing.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

Baseman said:

I see a lot of parallels with the WW2 era German military and the UW Sark run football program.

A lot of hype. A whole new Germany. New schemes, new attitude. Bold claims. Sark promised championships, Hitler promised Europe.

Sark practices were an event. Loud, great excitement. Hitler loved parades and his guys goosestepping. Both programs embraced their marching band.

Sark had Ivan, Hitler Goering. Both overpromised. Wait till Ivan gets hold of them, wait tell Goerings guyz take over the skies.

The Germans had wonder weapons, Sark had the fly-screen and bubble screens. Fancy shit that ultimately failed.

Then there was recruiting. Hitler had some 5-stars but there were more James Atoes than Otto Skorzany’s and thank the Lord for that.

At the end of the day, Hitler’s guyz stormed into Russia like Sark’s guyz ran out of the tunnel against LSU. For the first half, the Dawgs looked like they could take LSU only like the Germans at the gates of Stalingrad and within sight of the Kremlin, got their shit pushed in. The Germans brought their Panzerfausts but it was Kruchev who pulled the 🪠.

Sark went to the bottle, Hitler to the bunker.

The propaganda machines rolled on. 1943 would be special. The Germans at home continued their Seig Heil’s and Dawg fans waved their hats before kickoff.

Speaking out against the state was not only a no-no but punishable with the most severe methods.

The Gestapo came in the middle of the night for the disbelievers while skeptical Husky fans disappeared without warning, just gone.
    Gifted writing.
    But is it technically gifted?