Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Thoughts on coming 12 team playoff?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
1) It's a money grab above all else no matter what the NCAA says
2) See #1

Overall thoughts is the Regular Season becomes watered down, devalued and is now about seeding

There are 15-20 P5 AD's (including Jen Cowen) who should be fired for financial maleficence if they ever schedule any non-conference game that isn't a lay-up

If you lose 0-2 games your in, and even if you lose three you will be on the bubble.

New Pac-12 Commissioners 1st order of business even above next TV deal is to try and convince Presidents of stepping back to 8 conference games. Playing the 9th one is even more of a suicide mission now versus the ACC and specifically the SEC

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    lol.

There's 12 regular season games. 9 conference games.

It's not the NBA/MLB/NHL. People are tuning in.

And that's with scheduling FCS.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,295
    The AAC making the playoff more than the Pac-12 will be fun
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Big picture it’s a good thing
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pac 12 will always get at least one team in every year just for the sake of getting West Coast eye balls. Pac 12 will probably get 2 teams every year, minimum. What the fuck is the AAC?

What this is actually going to kill is the conference championships. They won't mean a thing unless one team involved thinks they're on the bubble.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited June 2021
    If 9-3 Alamo participants are given automatic bids, I could probably get behind it. @PostGameOrangeSlices
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Pac 12 will always get at least one team in every year just for the sake of getting West Coast eye balls. Pac 12 will probably get 2 teams every year, minimum. What the fuck is the AAC?

What this is actually going to kill is the conference championships. They won't mean a thing unless one team involved thinks they're on the bubble.
    In the Stanford and Oregon teams there would be two PAC 12 teams in. In 2016 and 2017, USC and UW probably both get in. The past few years, there would only be one Pac 12 team in.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,269
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I like it. With 4 team playoff, in a power 5 conference, lose one game and TSIO. By having 12 teams, winning the division and conference matter, getting into playoff a reality even if you lose 2-3 gaymes. Mor teams have moar to play for.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    4 team playoff was killing interest in the sport. This will help recruiting for non-Alabama/Clemson schools. Could be a final pitch from Jimmy to keep JTT at home.

There will probably be some blowouts in the first few years until recruiting starts to balance out. I could easily see a 12 beating a 5 in round 1 and then getting blown out by 50 against the 1 seed.

Very interesting to see Notre Dame sign off on this because the highest seed they can get is a 5 due to not being in a conference. Unless this portends them now joining a conference.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2021
    Way fucking better. 8 would be ideal, but whatever, at least now every NY6 bowl will mean something, even if the RB becomes even more bastardized.

Edit - nevermind, with the first round bye format there would still be an NY6 rotation. Or we can just tell peach and cotton to fuck off.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It should be 16 and fuck the first round byes.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

The playoff is an abomination. 4 teams? 12 teams? 16 teams? Kill it all with fire.

It’s not an option sadly. I’d gladly return to the old ways. Barring that, 12 is better than 4 which is killing the sport.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

The playoff is an abomination. 4 teams? 12 teams? 16 teams? Kill it all with fire.

My mind isn't made up, but I lean the same way.

I dont want to devalue regular season games, BUT, diminishing the fear of a single loss could lead to better regular season matchups. The need to go 12-0 with a +40 margin of victory makes college football pretty boring for me. Maybe that's why I pay more attention to dumb shit like recruiting and roster battles than final scores these days.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I miss the bowl games with the season ending on Jan 1. But I realize that those are never, ever coming back the way they were
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The best part about the proposal is getting on-campus playoff games, IMO. Will bring a special kind of electric energy to those 1st round games. And the games should actually be good because the skullfucker elite teams will have byes. It’ll also lead to a lot of good matchups that would never happen otherwise because the OOC scheduling system is so broken
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Playoff + CTE = no CFB in 20 years
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    NEsnake12 said:

The best part about the proposal is getting on-campus playoff games, IMO. Will bring a special kind of electric energy to those 1st round games. And the games should actually be good because the skullfucker elite teams will have byes. It’ll also lead to a lot of good matchups that would never happen otherwise because the OOC scheduling system is so broken

I’d be 100% ok with ending the charade of neutral site games and make all games on campus until the National Championship Game ... which takes on more of a Super Bowl feel
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,581
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

If 9-3 Alamo participants are given automatic bids, I could probably get behind it. @PostGameOrangeSlices

Gotta beat Sark in the Alamo to get to 10 wins.

Its the script