Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Between the Front & Back: Grundle’s Book Club

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I'm on board for sure. But what happened to that Female Orgasms for Dummies that was being kicked around?

@Doog_de_Jour vetoed it. She was concerned if some of learned this, the wives of HH might be less susceptible to her powers.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    Founders Club

pawz said:

So far so good. Read the free 8 chapters online, bought the book.

Very interesting. Seems to be written factually, apolitically - which is refreshing tbh. After GRUNDLe saying so, I wish I took notes. Some real gems. Certainly creating a new understanding of the geopolitics in play.

(TTTTT - after seeing that Saudi Arabia only sends us a low single-digit percentage of our actual fossil fuel use as a country, it's a head-scratcher that Trump and Biden gave MBS a free pass for the Khashoggi assassination. Slightly more understandable under Trump since we weren't quite yet energy independent though certainly trending that way, but still ...)

Really hope @HoustonHusky partakes in this book report. I would love to hear his take as he is likely familiar with all of subject matter.

Biden has only been President for two months, so kind of weird to suggest we're more energy independent now than when Trump was President, but whatever. Either way, that's been going on for some time. EIA's most recent data (and the most recent data that isn't COVID affected anyway) is from 2019. In that year, the U.S. produced 19% of the world's crude oil and consumed 20%. Saudi Arabia is next, just edging out Russia, with a hair shy of 12%. Half of the United States' oil imports come from Canada. (Sure is what we run a hell of a lot of.) This has been going on for years.

Thing is, oil is fungible. Just because we only get 6% of our oil from Saudi Arabia doesn't mean that a country that produces 12% of the world's supply can't have a major impact in global pricing by increasing or decreasing production. The problem isn't the threat of the Saudis cutting us off from their delicious oil, it's the threat of the Saudis opening up the faucet (yet again) and disrupting pricing in a way that costs domestic producers and creates instability in that industry. My brother in law had to sell off his profitable pressure testing business and move home from North Dakota the last time they pulled it.
    Pressure testing?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Is this the thread where I post Dubai Porta Potties?

Ah yes, scenes from the most recent Hardcore Husky get together
    You can’t see my head but these people are laying on top of me.
  • Options
    Founders Club

OK, back to the book...

Before I launch into what I thought of it and respond to other’s observations, here’s a book review by WaPo that picks apart some of the author’s points:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/a-global-energy-study-that-misses-some-climate-change-realities/2020/09/24/1addeb3e-f2b3-11ea-bc45-e5d48ab44b9f_story.html

Hadn’t read the book but from what I read of the article/review I’d argue otherwise...should be noted that the author of this review isn't a WP staff writer or book reviewer...he’s an environmental activist (and a bit nuts IMHO) from a quick Google search of him.

That doesn’t surprise me in the least. I included it as I always like reading counter arguments.

A much better/fairer review is here in the Wall Street Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-map-review-tapping-the-untappable-11601333350
    @CFetters_Nacho_Lover will take great umbrage at the shots at #NachosGreta.
    Live footage of my reaction:

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    @CFetters_Nacho_Lover thank you for your services
  • Options
    Founders Club

@CFetters_Nacho_Lover thank you for your services

My services are timly as ever.
  • Options
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    A worthy addendum to all this that Youtube's algos (I like to call algorithms "algos." I like to call them that) served up to me. Illinois Energy Prof. All sorts of good shit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTA-M12vrT4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPp25S_2an0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F92L6F0INYk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gtog_gOaGQ

Even something for OBK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R79jwn_xg8
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Full disclosure, I have never conducted nor participated in book club. But at HardcoreHusky, expertise is a disqualification.

I cheated a little and started this last week. It's completely my wheelhouse, big picture stuff somewhere between the Tug and @creepycoug shitty little bored, knowledge of which helps me not at all in daily life. Call it intellectual onanism.

The New Map: Energy, Climate, and the Clash of Nations (Daniel Yergin, 2020)

Named Energy Writer of the Year for The New Map by the American Energy Society

Pulitzer Prize-winning author and global energy expert, Daniel Yergin offers a revelatory new account of how energy revolutions, climate battles, and geopolitics are mapping our future

The world is being shaken by the collision of energy, climate change, and the clashing power of nations in a time of global crisis. The shale revolution in oil and gas--made possible by fracking technology, but not without controversy--has transformed the American economy, ending the era of shortage, but introducing a turbulent new era. Almost overnight, the United States has become the world's number one energy powerhouse--and, during the coronavirus crisis, brokered a tense truce between Russia and Saudi Arabia. Yet concern about energy's role in climate change is challenging our economy and way of life, accelerating a second energy revolution in the search for a low carbon future. All of this has been made starker and more urgent by the coronavirus pandemic and the economic dark age that it has wrought.

More at Goodreads.
    I read one this guym's earlier books immediately before, and it was outstanding. I only got a couple chapters into this one and it was every bit as good.

So I guess how this is going to work, I'm throwing this out here at the end of February. At the end of March, we'll all talk about it or something. Or don't. I could care less.
    HardcoreHusky, first/right, as always. A year ago.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,904
    Swaye's Wigwam

Full disclosure, I have never conducted nor participated in book club. But at HardcoreHusky, expertise is a disqualification.

I cheated a little and started this last week. It's completely my wheelhouse, big picture stuff somewhere between the Tug and @creepycoug shitty little bored, knowledge of which helps me not at all in daily life. Call it intellectual onanism.

The New Map: Energy, Climate, and the Clash of Nations (Daniel Yergin, 2020)

Named Energy Writer of the Year for The New Map by the American Energy Society

Pulitzer Prize-winning author and global energy expert, Daniel Yergin offers a revelatory new account of how energy revolutions, climate battles, and geopolitics are mapping our future

The world is being shaken by the collision of energy, climate change, and the clashing power of nations in a time of global crisis. The shale revolution in oil and gas--made possible by fracking technology, but not without controversy--has transformed the American economy, ending the era of shortage, but introducing a turbulent new era. Almost overnight, the United States has become the world's number one energy powerhouse--and, during the coronavirus crisis, brokered a tense truce between Russia and Saudi Arabia. Yet concern about energy's role in climate change is challenging our economy and way of life, accelerating a second energy revolution in the search for a low carbon future. All of this has been made starker and more urgent by the coronavirus pandemic and the economic dark age that it has wrought.

More at Goodreads.
    I read one this guym's earlier books immediately before, and it was outstanding. I only got a couple chapters into this one and it was every bit as good.

So I guess how this is going to work, I'm throwing this out here at the end of February. At the end of March, we'll all talk about it or something. Or don't. I could care less.
    HardcoreHusky, first/right, as always. A year ago.
    I still need to finish that. Got side tracked reading bout Comanches.