Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Rental Car Apocalypse

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
I drove down the CA wine country instead of flying into SFO to not deal with this bullshit.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/state-of-rental-car-industry/

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,134
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We've only just begun on unintended consequences

However in 2016 when I flew into Atlanta I canceled my rental and took Uber from the airport

Why pay to park a rental?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

However in 2016 when I flew into Atlanta I canceled my rental and took Uber from the airport

I just Uber to the Westin Peach Tree. Easy walk over to pre plunger tailgate.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I had to book my rental for October in Hawaii, I hear it’s a great time to escape the ravages of WiFi, back in April. Some friend of a friend that works for a rental company told us to do it that far in advance. It might have been cheaper to buy a used car there, or just Uber everywhere.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,431

Why not use MARTA?
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I had no trouble booking a car rental four weeks in advance of last week's trip to Maui, and price was just about what we paid in 2018
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    How long has this shit been going on? First I knew of it was when we had to put a vehicle in the shop back in March and couldn't find a rental anywhere in the city of Memphis the whole week it was being worked on. Wild shit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

I had no trouble booking a car rental four weeks in advance of last week's trip to Maui, and price was just about what we paid in 2018

That’s not what I’m hearing now outta HI
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

I booked my rental March 25, picked up the car April 26

Maui was crowdeder than I thought it would be, but not like years past. Things are definitely ramping up there tho, lots more people there in April than in March from that the natives said
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why not use MARTA?
    Public transportation?

Thats for the little people
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    BearsWiin said:

Same car, same time frame in October. One is Oahu, one is Maui. I should note that the prices aren’t quite accurate, it’s of course higher when you actually pay.

The person who told us to make sure we have our rental is a friend of my lady, who works for the car rental company. Last time she hooked up a sweet employee discount, they no longer do that. In addition to that, if we were picking up the car just for some days and where we did last time (Office in a hotel in Waikiki) the drop off time is now 5PM. I’m actually surprised that Maui isn’t jacked up more, you absolutely need a car there compared to Oahu.

Did you rent from the guy in the article who claims he didn’t jack up prices due to demand? https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2021/04/want-to-rent-a-car-itll-cost-you/
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I booked my rental March 25, picked up the car April 26

Maui was crowdeder than I thought it would be, but not like years past. Things are definitely ramping up there tho, lots more people there in April than in March from that the natives said
    You seem to be a lucky guy in life. Nothing’s changed with you.
    Not lucky, fortunate. Luck is what happens to you
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

Same car, same time frame in October. One is Oahu, one is Maui. I should note that the prices aren’t quite accurate, it’s of course higher when you actually pay.

The person who told us to make sure we have our rental is a friend of my lady, who works for the car rental company. Last time she hooked up a sweet employee discount, they no longer do that. In addition to that, if we were picking up the car just for some days and where we did last time (Office in a hotel in Waikiki) the drop off time is now 5PM. I’m actually surprised that Maui isn’t jacked up more, you absolutely need a car there compared to Oahu.

Did you rent from the guy in the article who claims he didn’t jack up prices due to demand? https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2021/04/want-to-rent-a-car-itll-cost-you/
    I compared direct quotes from the big companies to what I could get through Costco. Costco was significantly cheaper
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Why not use MARTA?

First thing I thought of when I saw MARTA as well.

Well played sir.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

One of my all time favorite scenes as a Seinfeld fag
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Car rental synonymous with vacation and business travel. Luxury and business, relates to money and social class.

I'll allow it.

Plus, I'm about to book a car rental for 3 wks. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    dnc said:

@Swaye, can you confirm what the most important part of the reservation is please?
    Racist IMO