Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Euphoria

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Valuations are stretched. Growth is already baked in. RSI's high.
Jim Cramer says banks stocks are dirt cheap. (they're not)
Don't chase. Best to wait for your pitch. Don't chase the slider in the dirt. Pick a zone and hunt the fastball. If you don't get your pitch, take the walk.
Not saying sell. Don't twist.

Hang tight

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Baseman said:

Valuations are stretched. Growth is already baked in. RSI's high.
    Jim Cramer says banks stocks are dirt cheap. (they're not)
    Don't chase. Best to wait for your pitch. Don't chase the slider in the dirt. Pick a zone and hunt the fastball. If you don't get your pitch, take the walk.
    Not saying sell. Don't twist.

Hang tight

Cramer has become a shill of shills for the Wall Street bankster guys. Jamie Dimon must be giving him handies or coke.

Abundance.
  • louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 330
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The problem is, just because valuations are insane and the market is fueled by financial alchemy does that mean it's going to go down? When was the last time the Fed showed any balls in terms of proactively cooling the markets? We're raising rates slowly but by no means are we cranking the dials to slow speculation by any meaningful margin. And at the first sign of distress are we not going to lower interest rates again? Are negative interests rates really out of the question?

We're hooked on growth and we're going to ride this horse until it's dead. Either a bubble bursts or a black swan sort of event happens to tank the economy but the Fed isn't putting the brakes on this bitch. I think we probably have another 3-5 years left in this bender until the bottom falls out but, then again, we're in the longest bull market in history by 150% of the past market (not counting the COVID downturn over the last year) so who the fuck knows? I thought this party was going to be over years ago but here we are.

What this market has taught me is the value of dollar cost averaging. You can't predict the ups and downs of the market so just pick an interval and put some reasonable chunk of money into an index fund.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The problem is, just because valuations are insane and the market is fueled by financial alchemy does that mean it's going to go down? When was the last time the Fed showed any balls in terms of proactively cooling the markets? We're raising rates slowly but by no means are we cranking the dials to slow speculation by any meaningful margin. And at the first sign of distress are we not going to lower interest rates again? Are negative interests rates really out of the question?

We're hooked on growth and we're going to ride this horse until it's dead. Either a bubble bursts or a black swan sort of event happens to tank the economy but the Fed isn't putting the brakes on this bitch. I think we probably have another 3-5 years left in this bender until the bottom falls out but, then again, we're in the longest bull market in history by 150% of the past market (not counting the COVID downturn over the last year) so who the fuck knows? I thought this party was going to be over years ago but here we are.

What this market has taught me is the value of dollar cost averaging. You can't predict the ups and downs of the market so just pick an interval and put some reasonable chunk of money into an index fund.

Spot on. I’m dribbling in because I get paid to with generous matching and related company contributions.

My pile of cash? I’m waiting.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 18,949
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2021

Spot on. I’m dribbling in because I get paid to with generous matching and related company contributions.

Likewise. Putting in some every now and again, but sitting on a pile too.

Of course, consumers are also holding onto more savings than pre-pandemic days--despite the March sales figures--and therefore companies are as well.

If you're under 50, you probably only vaguely remember real inflation. That will likely change, but when?

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    HHusky said:

Likewise. Putting in some every now and again, but sitting on a pile too.

Of course, consumers are also holding onto more savings than pre-pandemic days--despite the March sales figures--and therefore companies are as well.

If you're under 50, you probably only vaguely remember real inflation. That will likely change, but when?

I remember getting 10% interest on my savings account circa 79-80
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2021
    Yah see I’m in agreement with that too... just because the market is in a bubble doesn’t mean it’s happening now... that was true coming off the bottom following the downturn in 1997 and it wasn’t until 2000-2001 that the bubble burst, and it was obvious in early 2007 that mortgages were upside down and the leverage in the derivatives market was to the moon and it was another year before it came home to roost

in the absence of a triggering event, we probably still have some time for the evolution to mark to the market from a fair market standpoint

meanwhile, I do have a high cash position...
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    What's the catalyst going forward? Pretty much everything is a crowded trade right now. JPM, C, and BAC rocked their earnings and went backwards. Goldman Sachs delivered the plunger and only rose 3%.

High probability Netflix disappoints next week. The rest of FAANG better blow away expectations or this market rolls over.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2021
    Baseman said:
    There's dozens of these out there. Go to otcmarkets.com and watch the Financial Reports section. The pink sheets are usually worth a chuckle.

https://www.otcmarkets.com/market-activity/news

Or investorshub.com message boards where the penny stock junkies tout the next pump and dump.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The problem is the political influence over the Fed. No POTUS is going to be the guy who does the right thing. Each guy steps in and irregardless of whether the economy was good or bad when they took the baton, they are going to claim it as "their" economy. Well, when you own it, and you know you own it, you're not going to create the few years of suffering to get things back to a sustainable economic baseline.

They won't. They just won't!
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The problem is the political influence over the Fed. No POTUS is going to be the guy who does the right thing. Each guy steps in and irregardless of whether the economy was good or bad when they took the baton, they are going to claim it as "their" economy. Well, when you own it, and you know you own it, you're not going to create the few years of suffering to get things back to a sustainable economic baseline.

They won't. They just won't!
    Sadly your right. I used to believe a candidate could run on a tough love platform of at least starting to get gov't spending under control and pay down the debt, and people would respect and vote them in for it, but don't believe that anymore.

In National Politics, the term country, has been replaced by party and by me in the pecking order of importance.