Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Worst movie to win the Best Picture Oscar?

13»

Comments

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

2009 - Present ... how many movies are we going to nominate ... it's like a participation trophy situation. That said, 2018 I would have been good with either Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star is Born

What am I missing with Bohemian Rhapsody? Snafu was tremendous as Freddy. He won an Oscar for that right? Rest of the movie was pretty ordinary & by the numbers as I saw it.
    Nothing. It was a generic puff (lol) piece musical that had so much raw, real-life material to draw from and they did nothing with it. The fact that it was even nominated was a disgrace.

'Rocket Man' is the biopic about a flamboyant 80s rockstar that's actually worth watching.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,551
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2021
    Chicago was trash, crash was trash and how private Ryan didn’t win is a modern day mystery.., Birdman was another movie where I wondered how much the studio paid to have it even nominated, and in my view, rockstar movies should never be nominated much less win... JMO
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

The Shape of Water - I was onboard until the dance scene. Rest of it didn't make sense.
    Birdman - I'm still not certain what I watched. I understand the whole one continuous shot concept, but the actual storyline sucked.
    The Artist - too french, probably would fall asleep watching. If I wanted to watch old movies, I'd you know, watch old movies.
    The Kings Speech - Mostly because Inception should have won. Where was stop the steal in 2011? Blood is on your hands Obama.

I haven't seen parasite yet. I heard it was good but me no likee readee.

Parasite was good, quite good. Once Upon a Tim was better.
    Everyone keeps telling me it was good. I just don't like reading. Actually that's not true. I think once upon a time would be better if it were like 15 minutes shorter. Don't get me wrong, the ending is fantastic! 1917 was my choice.
    I watched 1917 about 2-3 weeks ago for the first time. It's good but it just felt like it dragged a bit for me. I was into the journey of the 2 individuals going forward to perform their mission but when the numbers changed, it just kinda lost me.
    I could see that for some people. That feeling of dragging, I guess based on perspective, is I believe how war, especially WWI would feel. Feeling of drawn out. I too was surprised by the loss of the one, but a war movie is not a war movie without the element of tragedy. I thought the town scene was amazing. Plus the brother scene had me trying to discretely wipe away tears.
    I’m a history nerd for sure and generally have a bias to war movies

WW1 is just kind of a weird war to me as it was a bit of a transition from old school infantry tactics to more modern techniques tied to intricate trench warfare, use of chemical weapons, and leveraging planes.

Even when you go back and look at the underlying currents of the War, it’s really hard to figure out what the whole point was other than countries having alliances with others and on and on.
    WW1 already happened in Petersburg VA in 1864-65 and that’s pre machine guns. The Euro Fag generals were arrogant idiots.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

The Shape of Water - I was onboard until the dance scene. Rest of it didn't make sense.
    Birdman - I'm still not certain what I watched. I understand the whole one continuous shot concept, but the actual storyline sucked.
    The Artist - too french, probably would fall asleep watching. If I wanted to watch old movies, I'd you know, watch old movies.
    The Kings Speech - Mostly because Inception should have won. Where was stop the steal in 2011? Blood is on your hands Obama.

I haven't seen parasite yet. I heard it was good but me no likee readee.

Parasite was good, quite good. Once Upon a Tim was better.
    Everyone keeps telling me it was good. I just don't like reading. Actually that's not true. I think once upon a time would be better if it were like 15 minutes shorter. Don't get me wrong, the ending is fantastic! 1917 was my choice.
    I watched 1917 about 2-3 weeks ago for the first time. It's good but it just felt like it dragged a bit for me. I was into the journey of the 2 individuals going forward to perform their mission but when the numbers changed, it just kinda lost me.
    I could see that for some people. That feeling of dragging, I guess based on perspective, is I believe how war, especially WWI would feel. Feeling of drawn out. I too was surprised by the loss of the one, but a war movie is not a war movie without the element of tragedy. I thought the town scene was amazing. Plus the brother scene had me trying to discretely wipe away tears.
    I’m a history nerd for sure and generally have a bias to war movies

WW1 is just kind of a weird war to me as it was a bit of a transition from old school infantry tactics to more modern techniques tied to intricate trench warfare, use of chemical weapons, and leveraging planes.

Even when you go back and look at the underlying currents of the War, it’s really hard to figure out what the whole point was other than countries having alliances with others and on and on.
    WWI was dramatically overshadowed by WWII, which has a clear moral justification. One aspect of the movie is the date of the movie, as the day the US declared war on Germany, or at least entered the war. The war also did a lot to shape Europe, and eventually led to a lot of issues down the line. Arbitrary boundaries were drawn, some of which enticed and raised tensions that would last 70 years. WWII obviously shaped them even more.

• huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just watched Parasite. It was good.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

2009 - Present ... how many movies are we going to nominate ... it's like a participation trophy situation. That said, 2018 I would have been good with either Bohemian Rhapsody or A Star is Born

What am I missing with Bohemian Rhapsody? Snafu was tremendous as Freddy. He won an Oscar for that right? Rest of the movie was pretty ordinary & by the numbers as I saw it.
    Nothing. It was a generic puff (lol) piece musical that had so much raw, real-life material to draw from and they did nothing with it. The fact that it was even nominated was a disgrace.

'Rocket Man' is the biopic about a flamboyant 80s rockstar that's actually worth watching.
    Girlfriend made me turn off Rocket Man after the first scene. Bohemian Rhapsody was entertaining. I liked it a lot.