Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Junior Adams on the new offense

bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,108
edited October 2020 in Hardcore Husky Board
"I'm very excited about John Donovan and what he's going to bring to us offensively," Adams said. "It's a pro-style system and the best 11 are going to play. It's going to be multiple personnel -- it's going to be '12' (one tailback and two tight ends), it's going to be '21' (two tailbacks and one tight end) and it could be a lot of '11' (one tailback and one tight end) -- the best 11 are going to play. With the players we have, he's got a lot of options

I'm sensing a theme here and it gives hope

Comments

• TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    I'm interested to know if we are going to be able to run the football when the other good team knows that we are going to run the football. Its been a long time. I am also interested to know if we can punish the defense with any consistency when everyone in the stands know that the other team is gonna blitz.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2020

I'm interested to know if we are going to be able to run the football when the other good team knows that we are going to run the football. Its been a long time. I am also interested to know if we can punish the defense with any consistency when everyone in the stands know that the other team is gonna blitz.

You mean when the other team, good or otherwise, knows? UW hasn't been able to run against teams like Rutgers when they know it's coming.

Edit...that was the second weak spot of Pete's offense. The defense had to be surprised or the play was a guaranteed bust.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,344 Swaye's Wigwam
    He also made it clear its going to be a dowfield passing offense and a downhill running offense. No more sideways stuff
    LebamDawg said:

I would feel better if someone from the coaching staff said we had a QB

Yeah no kidding. If the QB is bad to awful nothing else really matters and there's no reason to think bad QB play isn't in the cards.

Based on his assessment of where the players stand in the secret practiceses it sounds like Rome Odunze is tearing it up among the true freshmen

Where dis I miss this assessment? Link it up!
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,108
    chuck said:

Based on his assessment of where the players stand in the secret practiceses it sounds like Rome Odunze is tearing it up among the true freshmen

Where dis I miss this assessment? Link it up!
    After two seasons as Washington's receiver coach, Junior Adams has acquired quite a bit of talent and now it's time for those young players to step up and make plays. In an interview with Tony Castricone during Husky Football Saturday over the weekend, he talked about a number of subjects, but when it came time to talk about the players in his room, he couldn't have been more excited about the future and what they can do in new coordinator John Donovan's offense.

"I'm very excited about John Donovan and what he's going to bring to us offensively," Adams said. "It's a pro-style system and the best 11 are going to play. It's going to be multiple personnel -- it's going to be '12' (one tailback and two tight ends), it's going to be '21' (two tailbacks and one tight end) and it could be a lot of '11' (one tailback and one tight end) -- the best 11 are going to play. With the players we have, he's got a lot of options.

"We've got one or two seniors in the group and there's some good young talent in there. It's going to be exciting to see how these guys compete and emerge as this thing goes throughout camp and JD, this system that he has, it's a vertical passing system, it's a vertical downhill running game, so I love this offense. The more and more I'm around (Donovan), the more I grow closer to him and so far it's been awesome to work with John. The other cool thing about him is he's a really good dude and he doesn't get too high and he doesn't get too low and that's what you want as your coordinator and your leader of the offense."

Adams also took the time to talk about the players individually and what it is they bring to the table.

"Ty Jones is a guy who has made plays here and started a lot of games," Adams noted. "He ends up having a few injuries last year that forced him to redshirt, which I think was good. Puka (Nacua) was starting to emerge as a guy for us last year and made some really big plays for us in big-time games and them 'boom' there he goes down, but what that did was it gave other guys opportunities. It gave guys like Terrell Bynum, who, probably the last half of the season, was playing as good as anybody on the offensive side of the football. He's a leader to me. He's a guy that knows what we're doing offensively. He's a guy, he does the dirty work, he's not scared to get his hands dirty in the running game and he's been really efficient for us on third down. You look at two games late in the season -- the Apple Cup and the Bowl Game (against Boise State) -- and he showed up. Hard work works.

"You have Jordan Chin who got the opportunity to get in there and make some plays and he had his first two touchdowns of the year in big games for us. Marquis Spiker started his role a little bit, taking advantage of some of the opportunities he got he made plays. Those were big third-down plays. He set us up with the fourth down play for us against Oregon and the big play right before half against Boise State, the first series of the game against Utah he had the big third-down play, so he's been big in those situations.

"Austin Osborne has been in and out of the lineup and he looks good right now, he's playing hard, he made some plays (last week) and then you go to the young guys, the true freshmen that we got on campus and we're really excited about them. Rome (Odunze) has made a lot of plays so far. It's pretty cool to see true freshmen come in here and they don't bat an eye, they don't flinch -- Jalen McMillan made some plays (last week) and Sawyer Racanelli made a third or fourth down play over the middle -- these are guys that are walking in here and they're not flinching, the moment's not too big. We're going to continue to get better, we're going to continue tightening up our technique, our fundamentals, tightening up what we're doing scheme-wise, and it's going to be fun to see this competition brewing in that room."

Washington continues preseason camp this week as they prepare for their first game of the season which takes place on Saturday, November 7th with a road game against Cal.
  • dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 578

"I'm very excited about John Donovan and what he's going to bring to us offensively," Adams said. "It's a pro-style system and the best 11 are going to play. It's going to be multiple personnel -- it's going to be '12' (one tailback and two tight ends), it's going to be '21' (two tailbacks and one tight end) and it could be a lot of '11' (one tailback and one tight end) -- the best 11 are going to play. With the players we have, he's got a lot of options

I am curious as to which coach in any sport hasn’t said that they are going to play the best players?! Seems like some are getting excited over nothing. What makes a player the best could mean more than one thing, and coaches may interpret that differently than fans.

And according to jimmy any play style other than air raid is pro-style. So Oregon runs a pro-style offense, same with Stanford, Oregon St., and uw. The only change I can see is eliminating all of the shifts/motions before the snap.

Not sure why Adams is so excited about multiple personnel formations. Who doesn’t run multiple personnel formations?!?!
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,108
    dOgmaster said:

I am curious as to which coach in any sport hasn’t said that they are going to play the best players?! Seems like some are getting excited over nothing. What makes a player the best could mean more than one thing, and coaches may interpret that differently than fans.

And according to jimmy any play style other than air raid is pro-style. So Oregon runs a pro-style offense, same with Stanford, Oregon St., and uw. The only change I can see is eliminating all of the shifts/motions before the snap.

Not sure why Adams is so excited about multiple personnel formations. Who doesn’t run multiple personnel formations?!?!
    You have no frame of reference here, Donny. Shut the fuck up!
    dOgmaster said:

Who is excited?

I like to try to come off as the voice of reason and point out that speculation about coach speak is just speculation. I like to passive aggressively disguise my trolling by politely pointing out the obvious for no reason at all.

There may be games soon. Save it.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,752 Swaye's Wigwam
    dOgmaster said:

Pretty sure peterman never said he was going to play the best players. Man of his word.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    dOgmaster said:

You haven't been paying fucking attention.

With peterman, it's was all about buying into the program, okg shit, waiting your turn because if you show him commitment he will give you a shot to play, to a fault. Way to a fault.

No coach in the uw system would dare say something like "best 11 plays" under peterman because that would run contrary to coach petermans philosophy and he would get in trouble.

It would sow discontent and peterman hates chaos. He's all order and shit.

Now that peterman is gone coaches can appeal to players and say if you prove worthy you will play.
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    honestly, I don't care if they are 3 yards and a cloud of dust each play, as long at they win.
  • justthrowitinthebagjustthrowitinthebag Member Posts: 150
    animate said:

dOgmaster said:

You haven't been paying fucking attention.

With peterman, it's was all about buying into the program, okg shit, waiting your turn because if you show him commitment he will give you a shot to play, to a fault. Way to a fault.

No coach in the uw system would dare say something like "best 11 plays" under peterman because that would run contrary to coach petermans philosophy and he would get in trouble.

It would sow discontent and peterman hates chaos. He's all order and shit.

Now that peterman is gone coaches can appeal to players and say if you prove worthy you will play.
    Yup. Not a bad policy and it’s nice to reward guys but Pete definitely took it too far at times. I honestly think there is an alternate universe where Aaron Fuller is a fan favorite and borderline Husky legend. Imagine he redshirts and gets PT as a redshirt soph. Plays as the #3 and is a consistent and reliable slot player. I think he would have thrived in that situation. But because of Pete’s approach, he was not put in a position to succeed. Instead he was made the #1 choice on the outside which is NOT putting him in a position to succeed.