Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Howard Schnellenberger Bowl

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Louisville v The U

Howard built the U and tried to recreate the magic at Louisville

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,657

Louisville v The U

After going 8–24–1 in his first three years, Schnellenberger was able to turn the program around and go 24–9–1 the next three seasons. In 10 years, he led the Cardinals to their fourth and fifth bowl games in school history. They won them both, including a 34–7 thrashing of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 1991 Fiesta Bowl, capping a 10–1–1 season and the school's first-ever appearance in a final poll (11th). The Fiesta Bowl appearance was the school's first-ever New Year's Day bowl game.[8]

Schnellenberger left Louisville after the 1994 season. He recalled in a 2012 interview that his departure was a direct result of the impending creation of Conference USA:[10]

I didn't leave because of money. I wasn't looking to go anywhere until that president (Dr. Donald Swain) pulled that baloney and put us in that conference that I didn't want to be in. I wasn't going to coach in a conference where I didn't have a chance to compete for the national championship.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,702
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited September 2020

Louisville v The U

After going 8–24–1 in his first three years, Schnellenberger was able to turn the program around and go 24–9–1 the next three seasons. In 10 years, he led the Cardinals to their fourth and fifth bowl games in school history. They won them both, including a 34–7 thrashing of the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 1991 Fiesta Bowl, capping a 10–1–1 season and the school's first-ever appearance in a final poll (11th). The Fiesta Bowl appearance was the school's first-ever New Year's Day bowl game.[8]

Schnellenberger left Louisville after the 1994 season. He recalled in a 2012 interview that his departure was a direct result of the impending creation of Conference USA:[10]

I didn't leave because of money. I wasn't looking to go anywhere until that president (Dr. Donald Swain) pulled that baloney and put us in that conference that I didn't want to be in. I wasn't going to coach in a conference where I didn't have a chance to compete for the national championship.
    Schnelly (ILTCHSTWILTD) was a great coach. But I’m glad he left because Jimmy, to me, is the one that gave Miami its identity, particularly its ground breaking and oft-imitated defensive identity. Schnelly stays I don’t think they get to the same place. Johnson was also in a league by himself when it came to finding impact talent.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canes finally have a quarterback

Transfer from Houston. Kid can play. D'Erik King
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,702
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Canes finally have a quarterback

Transfer from Houston. Kid can play. D'Erik King

It has been a long tim. Why do so many programs miss on these kids? How’d he wind up in Houston and Miami hasn’t had a QB in 12+ years? How does Josh Allen wind up at Wyoming? How’d Adams wind up at Eastern when any P12 program was looking for a QB?

O line looked better but still a problem.