Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This Day in Music September 8

1897 - Jimmie Rodgers
Jimmie Rodgers singer, songwriter, the first country music star.

1925 - Peter Sellers
Peter Sellers actor, The Goons, (1956 UK No.9 single 'Ying Tong Song' with The Goons, 1960 UK No.4 single 'Goodness Gracious Me', with Sophia Loren, 1965 UK No.14 single 'A Hard Day's Night'). Sellers died of a heart attack on 24th July 1980.

1932 - Patsy Cline
Patsy Cline country music singer. Her hits began in 1957 with Donn Hecht's and Alan Block's 'Walkin' After Midnight', Hank Cochran's and Harlan Howard's 'I Fall to Pieces', Willie Nelson's 'Crazy' and ended in 1963 with Don Gibson's 'Sweet Dreams'. She died aged 30 on 5 March 1963 at the height of her career in a plane crash. She was one of the most influential, successful and acclaimed female vocalists of the 20th century. Ten years after her death, in 1973, she became the first female solo artist inducted to the Country Music Hall of Fame.

1942 - Brian Cole
Brian Cole, bass, vocals, The Association, (1967 US No.1 single 'Windy'). Cole died on 2nd August 1972.

1945 - Kelly Groucutt
English musician Kelly Groucutt, bassist, with Electric Light Orchestra, who had the 1979 UK No.3 & US No.4 single 'Don't Bring Me Down' plus 26 other Top 40 hits. Groucutt began his musical career at 15 as Rikki Storm of Rikki Storm and the Falcons. He died from a heart attack on 19 February 2009 aged 63.

1945 - Ron Mckernan
Ron McKernan, organ, and one of the founding members of Grateful Dead who played in the group from 1965 to 1972. Unlike the other members of the Grateful Dead, McKernan avoided psychedelic drugs, preferring to drink alcohol (namely whiskey and flavored fortified wine). By 1971, his health had been affected by alcoholism and liver damage and doctors advised him to stop touring. He died on 8th March 1973 from cirrhosis of the liver aged 27.

1947 - Benjamin Orr
Benjamin Orr bass, vocals, The Cars, who had the 1978 UK No.3 single 'My Best Friend's Girl.' Their 1984 US No.3 & 1985 UK No.4 'Drive' was used as part of the soundtrack for the Live Aid concert. Orr died of cancer in Atlanta on 3 October 2000, aged 53.

1960 - Aimee Mann
Aimee Mann, US singer songwriter, member of Til Tuesday, solo, (1993 album 'Whatever').

1960 - David Steele
David Steele, from British band Fine Young Cannibals, who had the 1989 UK No.5 single 'She Drives Me Crazy', and as a member of The Beat had the 1983 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Can't Get Used To Losing You'.

1979 - Pink
Pink, (Alicia Moore), 2001 UK No.2 single 'Get The Party Started', 2001 US & UK No.1 single with Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim and Mya 'Lady Marmalade'. Pink has become one of the most successful artists of her generation, having sold over 110 million records worldwide.

1987 - Wiz Khalifa
Wiz Khalifa (Cameron Jibril Thomaz), American rapper and singer-songwriter. He scored the 2014 US No.1 album Blacc Hollywood and his 2015 single ‘See You Again’ (from the soundtrack of the 2015 film Furious 7 as a tribute to actor Paul Walker) spent 12 non-consecutive weeks atop the US Billboard Hot 100 and was a No.1 in seven other countries.

1968 - The Beatles
The Beatles were seen performing ‘Hey Jude’ on the UK television show 'Frost On Sunday' in front of an invited audience. The song was the first single from The Beatles' record label Apple Records and at over seven minutes in length, 'Hey Jude' was, at the time, the longest single ever to top the British charts. It also spent nine weeks as No.1 in the United States—the longest run at the top of the American charts for a Beatles' single.

1968 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin appeared at Raventlow Parken, Nykobing, Falster, Denmark supported by The Beatnicks and The Ladybirds, (who were a all girl topless go-go dancing outfit). This was the group's third ever live gig.

1973 - Marvin Gaye
Marvin Gaye Gaye started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let's Get It On', his second US No.1, only reached No.31 in the UK.

1979 - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin scored their eighth UK No.1 album when 'In Through The Out Door' went to the top of the charts for two weeks. The eighth studio album by Zeppelin, was their final album of entirely new material.

1984 - Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder had his first UK No.1 with 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'. Taken from the film 'The Woman In Red', it was 18 years after Wonder's chart debut in 1966. The song stayed at No.1 for six weeks.

1990 - Jon Bon Jovi
Jon Bon Jovi went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Blaze Of Glory', a No.2 in the UK. The track appeared in the motion picture Young Guns II, for which it was originally recorded.

1993 - Kurt Cobain
Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love appeared on stage together at a show in Hollywood. They performed a song they wrote together 'Penny Royal Tea'.

2007 - Foxy Brown
Foxy Brown was sent to jail for a year in New York for violating her probation terms after she travelled outside New York without the court's permission and had missed anger management classes. The rapper (real name Inga Marchand), was arrested for allegedly assaulting a neighbour and in October 2006 she was put on probation for allegedly assaulting two nail salon workers in August 2004.

Comments