Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What's in your portfolio? What are you buying?

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
In no particular order:

1 - Bank of America
2 - Citigroup
3- Starbucks
3 - Travelers
4 - Berkshire Hathaway
5- Amazon
6 - Apple
7 - Google
8 - Union Pacific (I love trains)
9 - Chipotle
10 - AbbVie
9 - VOO (Vanguard SP 500 ETF)
10 - VNQ (Vanguard REIT/ Real Estate ETF)
11 - VYM (Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF)
12 - Closed End Funds (Look for funds trading at a discount with positive or near neutral UNII)

Add to positions when attractively priced relative to their historical PE and P/Free Cash Flow

Comments

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Of your top 10:

like/bought March/Bought March/like/neutral/too rich (said that $3000 ago)/too rich (said that $450 ago)/like/really like/looked at it when was at $200 back when having Hep C in their restaurants)/Sold in May when hit $100 would buy if got back down to $85 as a trade.

Find most things at best fairly valued and imo average stock to be overvalued so have not done much buying lately.

American Airlines if they don't go into bankruptcy will hit low 20's in next 3 years so there is a 75% return but be very prepared for wild price actions. Same with Carnival and Norwegian sitting at 15 each. If the common stock survives, in the next 3 years will hit 30 so looking at a 100% return.

• SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    Other than some of those above, long term holdings off the top of my head: DDOG, LYV, PLNT, AQST, WKHS, MSFT, AZN, JD, BABA, FSLY (will sell if it doesn't recover from earnings dump)

Edit: not currently holding BA, but for long term, it's at a fantastic entry point. Once the MAX is approved, will see a large spike and climb back to 300+
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    I'm out of airlines. I got crushed on Delta and Southwest. I took the tax loss and rolled more into the banks and the FAANG. With virtual offices, Zoom etc, demand for business airline travel permanently declines. Couple that with fear of viruses, even when the Covid vaccine becomes available, leisure travel demand stays low. Taking this into account, there is an oversupply of planes. Hurts Boeing IMO.

Better safer opportunities elsewhere.
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

I'm out of airlines. I got crushed on Delta and Southwest. I took the tax loss and rolled more into the banks and the FAANG. With virtual offices, Zoom etc, demand for business airline travel permanently declines. Couple that with fear of viruses, even when the Covid vaccine becomes available, leisure travel demand stays low. Taking this into account, there is an oversupply of planes. Hurts Boeing IMO.

Better safer opportunities elsewhere.

I generally agree outside of the notion that air travel is permanently reduced - vaccine will be in place within 6-12 months at which point people will be itching to GTFO of their house. BA has a backlog of something like 4000 planes, so while a reduction in demand in the near term will hurt them, they should be able to keep the pipeline full if, you know, the FAA approves the plane they want to sell.

On top of all that BA is the second largest defense contractor in the country. They've landed some huge contracts lately - that side of the business should help shore up some of the air travel sag
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

#4 is choo choos too.

Yep. Pass by the Base pad several times a day
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Rolex. FP Journe. Audemars Piguet.
    Heckler & Koch. Ammo.
    Pork and Beans.
    Silver.

Keep my money in a sock drawer.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Mutual funds in Wealthfront
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2020
    Stocks BA, HD, MSFT, PG, JD, MRO, & WAFD.
    Mutual Funds: 8 different Franklin Funds and a smattering of others. I finally got rid of my international funds (sorry Dave Ramsey) because they’ve been a drag on my portfolio for over 15 years.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    Swaye's Wigwam
    USMChawk said:

Stocks BA, HD, MSFT, PG, JD, MRO, & WAFD.
    Mutual Funds: 8 different Franklin Funds and a smattering of others. I finally got rid of my international funds (sorry Dave Ramsey) because they’ve been a drag on my portfolio for over 15 years.

Two biggest oofs in my portfolio last 10 years has been Overseas funds (thought they would ying (go up) when US went down (yang), but all they've done is yang. Massive underperform, and Exxon Mobil. There is a reason pro's will tell you oil is in the deep deep end of commodities and don't play there. I thought I was smart when it traded down from 100 to 80 in 2015 and bought. That was dead money and a 50% haircut 5 years ago.