Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Safe Landing

124»

Comments

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,867
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Two weeks of gasoline and a generator are a lot cheaper than solar. Ford is selling hybrid pickup trucks that generate 7.2kw. That's a lot of solar panels.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/06/5-fun-facts-about-the-2021-f-150s-onboard-generator.html

Essentially, the Pro Power Onboard system turns your truck’s engine into a generator that provides power to an inverter, which then transforms it into energy you can use to power any number of appliances from laptops to TIG welders, loudspeakers to electric griddles, camper trailers to — in an emergency — potentially your entire home. The system sends power to outlets in the truck’s cabin and in a new dedicated panel in the truck’s bed. Here are five things you need to know about Ford’s novel new Pro Power Onboard generator.

1. There Are Three Configurations
    Three different levels of Pro Power Onboard are being offered: a 2.0-kW system available on any gas-engine F-150 except the standard 3.3-liter V-6, a 2.4-kW system that’s standard on the new F-150 hybrid and an optional 7.2-kW system only available on the hybrid.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Two weeks of gasoline and a generator are a lot cheaper than solar. Ford is selling hybrid pickup trucks that generate 7.2kw. That's a lot of solar panels.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/06/5-fun-facts-about-the-2021-f-150s-onboard-generator.html

Essentially, the Pro Power Onboard system turns your truck’s engine into a generator that provides power to an inverter, which then transforms it into energy you can use to power any number of appliances from laptops to TIG welders, loudspeakers to electric griddles, camper trailers to — in an emergency — potentially your entire home. The system sends power to outlets in the truck’s cabin and in a new dedicated panel in the truck’s bed. Here are five things you need to know about Ford’s novel new Pro Power Onboard generator.

1. There Are Three Configurations
    Three different levels of Pro Power Onboard are being offered: a 2.0-kW system available on any gas-engine F-150 except the standard 3.3-liter V-6, a 2.4-kW system that’s standard on the new F-150 hybrid and an optional 7.2-kW system only available on the hybrid.

That's actually cool as fuck as a duel use. I'm not sure how widely that will get adopted though. Further components, costs, and maintenance on the truck. Will be a hit in my construction business for independent guys I'm sure. @RaceBannon can chime in.

FTR a decent generator and gas is still about $1k-$2k and not everyone wants to store a 50g drum of gasoline...or knows how to safely. I know because I have those things already. I still might get solar for lots of different reasons as a supplement. Which is essentially my whole point, is that it's a supplemental energy source. I can't imagine why you'd argue that point.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,212
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My bidness partner solared his pool and saved big money. It works in So Cal. You don't need a massive array to power the pool and the sun shines year round
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,867
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Your partner's partner is the American taxpayer which paid for 30% of the solar cost. Cali electric costs are through the roof because dems care about the little guy so off grid electricity also more price competitive than say Texas.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,690
    Propane powered 30K gen set and 1000 gallon propane tank are nice to have.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801
    Sledog said:

The Throbber is cool with his 5000 gallon water tank, too.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,690

Sledog said:

Well here. So water isn't a problem.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Well here. So water isn't a problem.
    Water gets pumped up the hill about 800 feet vertical from the well at the bottom and stored in a cistern.

The propane tank is tits, too. Need to up my generator/storage game though. The Musk solar roof tiles do look interesting.