Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Arnez Madison, 2021 3* DB/WR, Los Angeles (Manual Arts HS), CA (Offered 7/19/20)

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,706
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Malloe took a lot of shit in his first two years (deservedly), Strausser missed on a lot of guys and lost his job for it, as did Paopao and Gregory has certainly had his share of misses.

If I'm looking at things objectively, Harris/Brown's recruiting performance this year could be the worst of the bunch. We hit the bottom of the barrel 2 weeks ago and are now trying to find something under it.

"I've been talking with coach (Will) Harris and coach (Terrence) Brown for about a week," Madison said. "They said they like my size and my ability to cover and my technique. I might not be the fastest or the strongest guy, but my technique is something I take pride in and also my ball skills. When the ball is in the air, I feel like it's mine and I go up and get it."

"Fresno State and Oregon State have showed me the most interest and been the most consistent in recruiting me," Madison said. "I've had visits with the coaches and virtual tours and I like what I have seen with them. The (Washington) coaches haven't set up a date for me to do a tour, but we'll do that soon. They have a great program there and I like their defense, but that's all I know right now. I'm looking forward to learning more about the program and the school."

Awesome. Just awesome. Kid has no clue who UW even is.

I’m more concerned that even Arnez himself doesn’t think he is fast or strong. At least he is big?

Don’t think outcompeting OSU and Fresno State should be too difficult but who the fuck knows.
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 773
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    guntlove said:

dnc said:

guntlove said:

Will Harris. Bob Gregory. Derham Cato. Terrance Brown. Pete Kwiatkowski. Keith Bonerpha. John Donovan.

Seven of our ten assistant coaches are severely subpar recruiters. Not middling to average recruiters, but genuine recruiting liabilities. Seventy percent of Jimmy's handpicked staff couldn't close a fucking door, let alone a four star recruit. And Will Harris might actually be the worst... which is saying something when you've got Bob Gregory on staff.

I think it's too early to say on Cato and Kwat is probably a step above these guys, but yeah it's bad.
    Yup. Totally agree with this. Besides being a genius DC, Kwat's at least shown a willingness to work & improve as a recruiter. Guess we'll see on Cato... early returns aren't great, and there's no way he's getting Bowers.

Problem is, I'm not sure if Jimmy even sees any of this as an issue... he's convinced he knows more than everyone else. Arrogant and incompetent. We're fucked.
    I doubt that Jimmy is unaware there's a problem at this point. He really did drop his balls in a clamp though. Some things preventable: OC hire, dumbass coach retention, failing to hire ace recruiters. Some things not his fault: covid cockblocking all his showcase plans meanwhile Oregon having a proven system and staff that's easy to sell.

But I doubt that he's not totally aware how much he's fucked right now. Amazing how different this would have looked had he simply splash-hired the Cowboy's OC.
  • Options
    PurpleSmokePurpleSmoke Member Posts: 115
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

guntlove said:

dnc said:

guntlove said:

Will Harris. Bob Gregory. Derham Cato. Terrance Brown. Pete Kwiatkowski. Keith Bonerpha. John Donovan.

Seven of our ten assistant coaches are severely subpar recruiters. Not middling to average recruiters, but genuine recruiting liabilities. Seventy percent of Jimmy's handpicked staff couldn't close a fucking door, let alone a four star recruit. And Will Harris might actually be the worst... which is saying something when you've got Bob Gregory on staff.

I think it's too early to say on Cato and Kwat is probably a step above these guys, but yeah it's bad.
    Yup. Totally agree with this. Besides being a genius DC, Kwat's at least shown a willingness to work & improve as a recruiter. Guess we'll see on Cato... early returns aren't great, and there's no way he's getting Bowers.

Problem is, I'm not sure if Jimmy even sees any of this as an issue... he's convinced he knows more than everyone else. Arrogant and incompetent. We're fucked.
    I doubt that Jimmy is unaware there's a problem at this point. He really did drop his balls in a clamp though. Some things preventable: OC hire, dumbass coach retention, failing to hire ace recruiters. Some things not his fault: covid cockblocking all his showcase plans meanwhile Oregon having a proven system and staff that's easy to sell.

But I doubt that he's not totally aware how much he's fucked right now. Amazing how different this would have looked had he simply splash-hired the Cowboy's OC.
    Can we also mention his strategy of promoting how our guys are going to make Bank at the next level and we have a high rate of putting people in the league. That strategy would have worked the past 3 years when we've had someone in the 1st and a bunch of other guys drafted. The falling money tweets come to mind, get excited!

Come to UW where you can underachieve and then be an UFDA, not quite as compelling.

• Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,970
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

guntlove said:

dnc said:

guntlove said:

Can we also mention his strategy of promoting how our guys are going to make Bank at the next level and we have a high rate of putting people in the league. That strategy would have worked the past 3 years when we've had someone in the 1st and a bunch of other guys drafted. The falling money tweets come to mind, get excited!

Come to UW where you can underachieve and then be an UFDA, not quite as compelling.

Jake browning is the highest paid UDFA of all time. Got to ride that hype train.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Go back and read the thoughts on Will Harris when he was hired ...

Lots of people lost their shit about how much of a boon it would be getting into SoCal recruiting with a AA SC alum being an automatic upgrade ...

I don’t know why Harris isn’t connecting or resonating at this point but it seems clear that he isn’t ... at least compared to those at peer programs. I suspect it’s because he’s still very green, doesn’t have a resume of his own, doesn’t come off as an expert compared to his competition, and as a result struggles to connect as a realistic option.

As always, when you look at the world from the perspective of hire the best people no matter what, you’d evaluate the risks with Harris, and now Cato and lesser degree Brown as substantial risks on a number of fronts.

It’s going to be really interesting to see how Jimmy adjusts
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,437
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Lots of people lost their shit about how much of a boon it would be getting into SoCal recruiting with a AA SC alum being an automatic upgrade ...

I don’t know why Harris isn’t connecting or resonating at this point but it seems clear that he isn’t ... at least compared to those at peer programs. I suspect it’s because he’s still very green, doesn’t have a resume of his own, doesn’t come off as an expert compared to his competition, and as a result struggles to connect as a realistic option.

As always, when you look at the world from the perspective of hire the best people no matter what, you’d evaluate the risks with Harris, and now Cato and lesser degree Brown as substantial risks on a number of fronts.

You mean the BDTW crew? Those guys are the absolute worst
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784

guntlove said:

dnc said:

guntlove said:

Even if Jimmy is aware there's a problem, and I'm not convinced he is, he doesn't seem to have the judgement or competence to fix it properly anyways.

If Harris and Gregory (and to a lesser extent Boner) are still on staff 6 months from now, we'll have our answer. You can't carry this much dead recruiting weight on staff and expect to be competitive.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784

Tequilla said:

Yep. On paper, the Harris hire looked great. Young, energetic, African Anerican coach who had direct ties to LA and was active on social media. Was viewed as being successful at his previous job as both a coach and recruiter (albeit at a different level of competition). Also very ambitious. I remember his saying how excited he was to be at UW but his end goal was to be HC at USC. On top of that, he gets to understudy for one of the top db coaches and recruiters in the country.

I honestly have no idea what the issue is. He still seems in interviews like an energetic and intelligent guy that recruits would be drawn to but he is failing at such an incredible level. If we were losing out on just the top kids to schools like tOSU, Bama, SC, etc. that would be one thing, but we are now getting into offering guys that only the bottom of the bottom P5 schools and non-P5 schools are going after. The only thing I can think is that he's just lazy and/or disorganized. Puts on a good show for interviews but then would rather play on his phone or watch tv than actually put in the effort for recruiting. Like any highly competitive sales job, you have to be hungry and enjoy the thrill of the competition. Maybe he doesnt and its showing in his work. Maybe, like Lubick, he already knows hes on his way out and is putting minimal effort in.
    prayingdoog.gif
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    guntlove said:

Tequilla said:

Yep. On paper, the Harris hire looked great. Young, energetic, African Anerican coach who had direct ties to LA and was active on social media. Was viewed as being successful at his previous job as both a coach and recruiter (albeit at a different level of competition). Also very ambitious. I remember his saying how excited he was to be at UW but his end goal was to be HC at USC. On top of that, he gets to understudy for one of the top db coaches and recruiters in the country.

I honestly have no idea what the issue is. He still seems in interviews like an energetic and intelligent guy that recruits would be drawn to but he is failing at such an incredible level. If we were losing out on just the top kids to schools like tOSU, Bama, SC, etc. that would be one thing, but we are now getting into offering guys that only the bottom of the bottom P5 schools and non-P5 schools are going after. The only thing I can think is that he's just lazy and/or disorganized. Puts on a good show for interviews but then would rather play on his phone or watch tv than actually put in the effort for recruiting. Like any highly competitive sales job, you have to be hungry and enjoy the thrill of the competition. Maybe he doesnt and its showing in his work. Maybe, like Lubick, he already knows hes on his way out and is putting minimal effort in.
    prayingdoog.gif
    He may be on his way out for his performance but didn’t he get a promotion this off season? He doesn’t think he is on his way out.
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 773
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    BTW I just want to say again that Oregon is the archetype of everything that's wrong with this world.
    Tequilla said:

It would be interesting to see how Jimmy adjusts in the best of times. Swashbuckling hiring moves, I'd think, are far less likely to happen now that there's no season revenue. AKA the pushback will be that if "we" couldn't afford it then, we sure as "fuck" can't afford it now.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The lack of funding is a compounding error and a clear sign that we are accepting of potential mediocrity
  • Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

BTW I just want to say again that Oregon is the archetype of everything that's wrong with this world.

Please provide some reasoning! Could it be your jealous and just lashing out at that shit hole school in that shit hole town with a program that won’t amount to nothing, but beats your teams ass on the field and in recruiting?! Or, maybe that was the sarcasm I hear so much about. If true, then Oregon is the greatest thing for this world, and I thank you for pointing that out.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

It would be interesting to see how Jimmy adjusts in the best of times. Swashbuckling hiring moves, I'd think, are far less likely to happen now that there's no season revenue. AKA the pushback will be that if "we" couldn't afford it then, we sure as "fuck" can't afford it now.

Narrator: They could. And they still can.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Multiple 8 inchers to THEE Oregon State University
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Multiple 8 inchers to THEE Oregon State University

Logjammin'?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    This all comes down to Emeka and JTT, as was always the case.