Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TBS Alert: Benning Potoae Edition

Just heard this gem from Benning Potoae (2016 DE, Lakes HS)

When asked about Washington and his brother playing there with Sark and staff, and if those coaches being gone effected his view of Washington at all:

Loose quotes....

"The new coaches being there made me want to go to UW more, and with Sark leaving and him offering it didn't really effect me because it didn't really attract me. But with Coach Petersen getting to know him creating a relationship with him it has an effect on me with how I feel about UW"

What those coaches did to Sione was criminal, imo.

Fuck.

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I thought Sark was this awesome coach and recruiter though ... that's what Capt. Twister says
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Tequilla said:

I thought Sark was this awesome coach and recruiter though ... that's what Capt. Twister says

Crisp. Today is one of your better efforts overall.
    I've been a little more long winded lately ... it's what happens when I start talking about hoops.

Today just feels like a big middle finger kind of day
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    Sorry...the fuck did Sark do to Sione?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited May 2014
    I agree with PL SS. Potoa'e, like Cody Bruns, was not screwed. They played too early, but they were never very good. Potoa'e was 6'2" 270 as a junior in high school and never got any bigger. He never even flashed anything for even a game. Even Donny Mateaki had a monster game (Oregon State).

The best Potoa'e did was make 2 tackles eight yards downfield against Cal in 2012. The doogs on doogman thought that was his breakout game. The injuries hampered him, but he did shitty under two different defensive coaching staffs. Evan Hudson moved over and started right away over a senior Potoa'e. The Nick Holt quote about the coaches messing up if he didn't make the NFL in three years is still great though.

My fear with the younger Potoa'e is he is just like his brother. He's been the same size for two years now and has plummeted down the rankings. Biggins said he was going to be a 5 star guy two years ago. Now, he is the #25 DE. You know he's not getting very good coaching at Lakes either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

When asked about Washington and his brother playing there with Sark and staff, and if those coaches being gone effected his view of Washington at all:

Loose quotes....

"The new coaches being there made me want to go to UW more, and with Sark leaving and him offering it didn't really effect me because it didn't really attract me. But with Coach Petersen getting to know him creating a relationship with him it has an effect on me with how I feel about UW"

Fuck.

BP is '15 for starters, and Sione "Patoa'e" did it to himself. He wasn't very good u ignant pucker fucker
    Whose fault was it that he wasn't very good? It's the coaching staff! He was a highly rated recruit who once again Sark burned his RS even though he hardly played.

Now perhaps he was soft but was so was ASJ. I put this on the coaching staff for not developing him.

They failed to develop the interior players on both sides of the ball which was why UW was never going to win with Sark.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320

Loose quotes....

Fuck.

BP is '15 for starters, and Sione "Patoa'e" did it to himself. He wasn't very good u ignant pucker fucker
    Where the fuck do you hide out all day? Lurking doogman?
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,169 Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Crisp. Today is one of your better efforts overall.
    Agreed. Tequilla making a solid poont in less than 500 words is solid.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

I agree with PL SS. Potoa'e, like Cody Bruns, was not screwed. They played too early, but they were never very good. Potoa'e was 6'2" 270 as a junior in high school and never got any bigger. He never even flashed anything for even a game. Even Donny Mateaki had a monster game (Oregon State).

The best Potoa'e did was make 2 tackles eight yards downfield against Cal in 2012. The doogs on doogman thought that was his breakout game. The injuries hampered him, but he did shitty under two different defensive coaching staffs. Evan Hudson moved over and started right away over a senior Potoa'e. The Nick Holt quote about the coaches messing up if he didn't make the NFL in three years is still great though.

My fear with the younger Potoa'e is he is just like his brother. He's been the same size for two years now and has plummeted down the rankings. Biggins said he was going to be a 5 star guy two years ago. Now, he is the #25 DE. You know he's not getting very good coaching at Lakes either.

Do you need a permit to post horse shit like this?
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771

You wanna rethink that one?

You wanna rethink that one?
    No, potoa'e sucked. He shouldn't have played as a freshman, but it wouldn't have made a difference. He never got any bigger. Sometimes guys are busts. They happen at every school. Potoa'e was always overrated.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,661

Do you need a permit to post horse shit like this?
    Axe @monroecougdad
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,725 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2014
    I trust Petersen will know what to do with Potoae to make him a successful player. He's already made more of an impression on him than Sark did in the 2-3 years he was recruiting him based on this quote:

"But with Coach Petersen getting to know [Sione], creating a relationship with him, it has an effect on me with how I feel about UW"
    edited May 2014
    I think a guy like Ducre or Kevin Smith was screwed more than Potoa'e. If Ducre would have redshirted, he would have had a chance to put another year of starting on tape for NFL scouts. Smith could have had another year of solid production. They could have greatly increased their NFL chances. Instead, their futures were hurt for some token appearances in 2010. Potoa'e did absolutely nothing his entire career. You can't put all of that blame on the coaches.
    Sark's all about the 90 seconds of instant gratification ...

Very rarely do you get guys that are ready to play as a freshman and contribute at a high level. Almost always you are better off having a guy redshirt and be better at 22 years old.

The exception to the rules are guys like Shaq Thompson (who you figure is going to stay 3 years regardless of a RS), Kasen Williams, ASJ, etc. where they are physically ready to contribute as true frosh. Most guys are at best special teams contributors as freshman and if that's the case, you're almost always better off redshirting.

I do think it's fair to note that the program did have some depth issues when Sark took over so some of the earliest playing of guys was perhaps more necessary. But in the grand scheme of things, at this point, the program has depth and redshirting should be the rule not the exception.
    Here's something else for those who think Potoa'e was fucked by Sark. Ta'Amu, Everette Thompson, Shelton, and Kikaha all didn't redshirt. All of them are/were way better than Potoa'e. Potoa'e was as fucked by not redshirting as Talia Crichton.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    I don't blame Sark for Potato. The only thing that really wowed people about him out of high school was that he could bench press a lot, never really heard about him being a monster on the field.