Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The NBA ... It's freedom of speech, until it isn't

topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
Let me get this straight:

You can choke a coach
You can rape your nanny, assault a girl, and beat your wife
You can punch fans in the audience (the fans get banned for life from attending games in their home town)

And you can still play.

But ...

You exercise your freedom of speech in your own home, get recorded illegally ...

And you get banned for life ... as an owner ...

Only in America!

Comments

• QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Players have a union. That's why they can still play. That, IIRC, was the reason the coach choker was allowed to play (or have his suspension greatly reduced).
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

Players have a union. That's why they can still play. That, IIRC, was the reason the coach choker was allowed to play (or have his suspension greatly reduced).

So unions trump the Constitution, just as military brass trumps the President.

got it.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    topdawgnc said:

You can choke a coach
    You can punch fans in the audience (the fans get banned for life from attending games in their home town)

And you can still play.

But ...

You exercise your freedom of speech in your own home, get recorded illegally ...

Only in America!

This is almost as gross as when Damone referred to torture as "interrogation". That's all he did? Exercised his freedom of speech. That's it. You don't even understand freedom of speech you fucking idiot.

Is the NBA the police? Can they only consider things that were obtained legally? Are you that fucking stupid?

topdawgnc said:

You can choke a coach

And you can still play.

But ...

Only in America!

This is almost as gross as when Damone referred to torture as "interrogation". That's all he did? Exercised his freedom of speech. That's it. You don't even understand freedom of speech you fucking idiot.

Is the NBA the police? Can they only consider things that were obtained legally? Are you that fucking stupid?
    Really, you are going to argue this?

Since when did it become illegal and punishable when exercising freedom of speech in your own home?

This mother fucker has owned the team since 1981 ... 1981.

Where was the NBA when he was being sued for being a racist?

And yes... it was an illegal taping. It would not hold in a court of law. But apparently it is ok in the court of public opinion, unless it is obtained from the NSA.

Nice to know being an asshole in America is now frowned upon ...

Again ... choke, rape, beat, drug use ... all is fair game.

• QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    topdawgnc said:

So unions trump the Constitution, just as military brass trumps the President.

got it.
    I don't disagree. Just pointing out the reality of why those players to referenced were allowed to continue playing. NBAPA much stronger than NFLPA.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The nation is outraged! This has legs!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2014

topdawgnc said:

You can choke a coach

And you can still play.

But ...

Only in America!

You missed my point and got vaggy about it. The point is we can't water board terrorist without people flipping out...no fucking way are we putting soldiers on the ground in a real war vs Russia.

By me making that point, you make assumptions (likely incorrect ones) on my position in water boarding, war, etc. because you see everything through a prism of absolutes and political dogma.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    If you think this is a First Amendment issue, you're dumber than the dumbest of the Doogs.
  • YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 539
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014
    Now is the time to ban all the others who have said or done something Racist.....

Carmelo Anthony and Jay Z - Wear the 5%er medallion
    Larry Johnson - Said they need an all black league.
    Spike Lee - Thinks that whites shouldn't live in Black Neighborhoods
    Isiah Thomas - Said Larry would be avg if he was black

ban them as well

If you think this is a First Amendment issue, you're dumber than the dumbest of the Doogs.

This is not a first amendment issue, it is a freedom of speech issue.

Last I checked this is America, and American's have the God given right to be as doog fucking stupid with our comments as we so choose.

He broke no laws. He pays his black coach 7 million a year, and employs a lot of black men.

Where was the outrage when this slum lord was in trouble for real acts of racism.

It is a sad day in America when a man can't be stupid.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    He can be stupid all he wants. He just can't be in the club of NBA team owners anymore.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    topdawgnc said:

Last I checked this is America, and American's have the God given right to be as doog fucking stupid with our comments as we so choose.

He broke no laws. He pays his black coach 7 million a year, and employs a lot of black men.

Where was the outrage when this slum lord was in trouble for real acts of racism.

Your first sentence was beyond moronic, but you make a great point about the lack of outrage over his REAL racism a long time ago. He should have been asked to LEAVE! the NBA then, but David Stern is a piece of shit.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    who is Donald Sterling... does he poast here?

srsly though, I had no idea who this guy is/was and its the fucking Clippers for chrissakes. Should be on the Kobestopper bored.
    topdawgnc said:

It is your right to be stupid. It is not your right to own a franchise that is part of an association.

You believing in god actually explains a lot.

topdawgnc said:

You can choke a coach

And you can still play.

But ...

Only in America!

You missed my point and got vaggy about it. The point is we can't water board terrorist without people flipping out...no fucking way are we putting soldiers on the ground in a real war vs Russia.

By me making that point, you make assumptions (likely incorrect ones) on my position in water boarding, war, etc. because you see everything through a prism of absolutes and political dogma.
    I wish you could see how big of a douche you've turned into.
    topdawgnc said:

topdawgnc said:

You can choke a coach

And you can still play.

But ...

Only in America!

Really, you are going to argue this?

Since when did it become illegal and punishable when exercising freedom of speech in your own home?

This mother fucker has owned the team since 1981 ... 1981.

Where was the NBA when he was being sued for being a racist?

And yes... it was an illegal taping. It would not hold in a court of law. But apparently it is ok in the court of public opinion, unless it is obtained from the NSA.

Nice to know being an asshole in America is now frowned upon ...

Again ... choke, rape, beat, drug use ... all is fair game.

Good thing this case will never be in a court of law.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited May 2014
    If he's not getting arrested this has shit to do with the Constitution. The NBA can do this based on it's bylaws or it can't based on it's bylaws . A court will ultimately decide, but it won't be a question of the Constitution.

Either way it will be interesting.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

topdawgnc said:

It is your right to be stupid. It is not your right to own a franchise that is part of an association.

You believing in god actually explains a lot.
    Hey man I believe in God and understand this isn't a freedom of speech issue. If anything constitutional it's a right to privacy issue, but I don't know how there could be any reasonable expectation that a private institution would not use private information that was shared publicly, even if that information was illegally obtained. Sterling may be able to sue Ms. V over the privacy infringement, but there's no way the NBA is going to be liable for that.
    Swaye's Wigwam

topdawgnc said:

You can choke a coach

And you can still play.

But ...

Only in America!

I wish you could see how big of a douche you've turned into.
    The nuance is lost on you. Not surprising you're having trouble with some basic concepts here.