Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Trump's shitty advisors

Comments

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Good. Give me the $10k and let me stop throwing my money away into SS taxes. I'll get a lot more out of that lump sum than whatever paltry payout I'm scheduled to get a few decades from now.

It was a nice idea 80 years ago, and it worked for awhile, but all ponzi schemes finally hit their wall.

Of course we all know this will never actually happen. Neither party has the balls to really go after entitlement reform. The AARP has them scared shitless.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2020

even discussing shit like this when unemployment is nearing 20% is Hoover-esque
    Uh....how you gonna pay for the entitlements otherwise?

More loans from the Chinese overlords? Backed by what? Their already overleveraged financial system?

Tax revenue are set to plummet. Or are you thinking maybe the US government should nationalize and confiscate property to stay liquid? Scaling back is going to have to happen everywhere.

Very Castro-esque of you.

nobody fucking cares about deficits anymore. voters don't. republicans don't. democrats don't. Cutting spending right now will only accelerate our march towards another great depression.
    Unless we stop the madness and get back to work.
    that won't change anything. Even if the economy is "opened" no one is gonna fly, eat out, or do anything.
    Why is it that people fall for the false binary of "stay at home" or "business as usual"?

As if a mild recession is the same thing as a decade long depression.
    if the government imposes austerity it will be a decade long depression. Opening the economy alone isn't enough.
    Some state governments, including the governors of those of us dumb enough to live in CA/OR/WA, are imposing austerity right now. What the fuck are you looking at to tell you these aren’t austere measures already imposed on our Pacific Coast states’ economies?

Democrat Governors are picking winners/losers in terms of being “essential” while every mooch in a taxpayer-funded government job is still being paid.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

More loans from the Chinese overlords? Backed by what? Their already overleveraged financial system?

Tax revenue are set to plummet. Or are you thinking maybe the US government should nationalize and confiscate property to stay liquid? Scaling back is going to have to happen everywhere.

nobody fucking cares about deficits anymore. voters don't. republicans don't. democrats don't. Cutting spending right now will only accelerate our march towards another great depression.
    that won't change anything. Even if the economy is "opened" no one is gonna fly, eat out, or do anything.
    Disagree bigly. I think there’s pent up demand. Things will change here and there. But people want to get back life as normally as possible. I also think people in general are not as afraid of the COVID as they were in the beginning.
  • Options
    Oddly, pretty much every government construction project seems to be essential in Portland. I can’t speak for the rest of the state. Which is why I’m in Montana and Wyoming for a month.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Good. Give me the $10k and let me stop throwing my money away into SS taxes. I'll get a lot more out of that lump sum than whatever paltry payout I'm scheduled to get a few decades from now.

It was a nice idea 80 years ago, and it worked for awhile, but all ponzi schemes finally hit their wall.

Of course we all know this will never actually happen. Neither party has the balls to really go after entitlement reform. The AARP has them scared shitless.

You’ll still pay the tax, it’s just that you’ll have the $10000 credited to your account
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited May 2020

No one should ever believe WAPO. The article is bullshit. Just more of the same.

I can't access the article. Can anyone tell us if it is based on anonymous sources?
  • Options
    incremetal_progressincremetal_progress Member Posts: 358
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    you guys are fucking nuts if you think simply saying "the economy is open!" is gonna fix everything. Truly delusional thinking.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,276
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

you guys are fucking nuts if you think simply saying "the economy is open!" is gonna fix everything. Truly delusional thinking.

I sure as fuck know that "the economy is closed" isn't gonna help.

• Options

I sure as fuck know that "the economy is closed" isn't gonna help.

Except this post was about how stupid cutting spending is when the economy can operate at half capacity (at best), not advocating that we stay closed until the end of time.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Fix everything no. Depression no too.

This can’t go on much longer.
  • Options

I’m literally in a state that re-opened last Monday. Nobody is talking about the China Flu. You pussies go ahead and do your house arrest while the family and I ride this out in a non-insane place.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,239
    edited May 2020
    Doogles said:

MelloDawg said:

Why is it that people fall for the false binary of "stay at home" or "business as usual"?

The potential of 25% unemployment is more than a mild recession.

That said, I’m no economist but I have doubts that anything other than “business as usual” will bring the economy to where it needs to be. That also being said, it will not be business as usual anywhere by November. Unemployment will still be at a number that’s damning during normal times and would be a lead pipe cinch to lose an election. It’ll come down to messaging for Team Trump and if he can spin statistics to say what an anomaly this was and not his fault.
    You need someone to spin facts that are in front of your face?
    The left drums up fear with unprecedented pandemic that will kill millions, forcing shut down, drags feet, creates chaos, tanks economy, acts shocked the economy tanks, blames Trump.

The shamelessness of suggesting this is on Trump is special.

I've said from the beginning, if it gets Trump out in November it will all be worth it. That's all this is.
    I lean left and I don’t say it’s all on Trump. Obama himself even said that any administration would have been rocked and affected by it. The advantage for Trump is that he can say and is saying “look at what I did before, I can do it again.”

The key, as always, will be seeing if the swing states buy the messaging. You already have a horde of people mobilized to vote against him based on social issues, but no election is won on those. The GOP is also burdened by the congressional elections being a referendum on Trump as well.

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I never closed
  • Options

I’m literally in a state that re-opened last Monday. Nobody is talking about the China Flu. You pussies go ahead and do your house arrest while the family and I ride this out in a non-insane place.
    if the pussies you're talking about aren't doing anything the economy isn't going to recover unless you're willing to spend twice as much. But you're like the 15th person to miss the point of the thread and make it about bitching about the lockdown, so congrats.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Hope this gets shut down fast. People who have paid into SS their entire working lives should get exactly what the government promissed. Would the plan be voluntary or forced?

Basically agree with this. Although I’m not a fan of entitlements and think the welfare state we’ve created needs an overhaul.

But we’d have a pretty good mess on our hands as a society if we did away with SS and Medicare. Plus, I’d like a shot at getting some of my $$ back.
    100% agree
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,239

if the pussies you're talking about aren't doing anything the economy isn't going to recover unless you're willing to spend twice as much. But you're like the 15th person to miss the point of the thread and make it about bitching about the lockdown, so congrats.
    This is the issue. I have groups of friends in the Atlanta area who say there aren’t enough people going to businesses there to keep them open or afloat for much longer.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

"Who cares about living life when there's nothing to live for?" All opinion and emotion. Not a strategy.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Wait...You mean we aren't all going to be enslaved by our Chinese Overlords and worked to death or beheaded in a matter of weeks. (We know the Asians love that, btw, cause they're big on their swords.) Don't blame me for stereotyping. Blame the Man In the High Castle.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited May 2020

So, if you're in your 40's, you've already paid into it for about 20 years right? I think Im scheduled to get over $3k a year in 20 years. If you plan to live another 10 years, that's 30k. Hmmm. The more I think about this, maybe I would want that 10K up front right now? Edit...only if I get to stop paying into the program.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,672
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

So, if you're in your 40's, you've already paid into it for about 20 years right? I think Im scheduled to get over $3k a year in 20 years. If you plan to live another 10 years, that's 30k. Hmmm. The more I think about this, maybe I would want that 10K up front right now? Edit...only if I get to stop paying into the program.
    Leftists haven't actually worked so they probably have only paid in a couple years max