Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Understanding Petersen's Language (Interview at the end of the Spring Game)

whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,725 Swaye's Wigwam
edited April 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
I know many of us here, the elitists of the Husky community, are beginning to understand and comprehend what Petersen truly means when responding to the Seattle media. Petersen's sophisticated vocabulary, an immense improvement from Dude Brah's, and body language make it easy for us to understand when he's tired of hearing the same questions over and over (Hi Danny O'Neil) and that he has a no bullshit, no nonsense attitude about being a coach and educator.

But the one that I seem to struggle with the most, and what he's said multiple times throughout the Spring, is that we need to improve upon everything and that we aren't where we need to be at any one thing. I realize we're implementing a new system and that Sark didn't pay attention or teach the small, fine details like Petersen's crew, so there's that. But was the team under Sark really that inept? Or is Petersen's system so vastly different than Sark's that we need to build from the ground up? And if this is Petersen's attitude to Spring camp, what we he like last year or previous years at Boise? I'm really curious to see what he thought of Boise last year, especially since we destroyed them at Husky Stadium to start the year. I haven't looked at those details, but I might venture over to BSU to see what they think about Petersen's language.

So my question for the bored, what do you think Petersen means by we need to improve upon everything? Do you think this is just coach speak and that he wants the them to keep working hard and not get lazy over the summer? Is he the kinda guy who demands excellence and isn't happy with the team even if they're an improvement upon last year's 9-4 squad? Do you think Petersen has already identified the weaknesses in this team and realizes we need to step it up to avoid the disasters like Oregon and ASU and UCLA (last year, too many disasters to name under Sark)? Or is it something entirely different?

---

TL;DR version: What do you think Petersen means by we need to improve upon everything and that we aren't where we need to be at any one thing at the end of Spring camp?

Comments

• CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I think more than anything Peterman is a guy that believes 100% in the system that he has, he is not learning on the job like Dude brah was. He knows what he expects and he knows that what he expects - If executed to great detail - can lead to a championship caliber team.

This isn't some experiment for him; he has already done the "experimenting" in his previous stops, I think that more than anything is why he is always harping on details and improving everything. Because he knows what his formula is and probably knows that as of right now the team hasn't reached that level yet.

I think he will also be a guy that is never really satisfied, I bet he will be someone who when talking to his team will praise them when they do good. But when he is talking to the media he is going to play everything down (except for end of the season). He has mentioned that building a players self-esteem is one of the most important thing he and his coaches can do, and I think that is why you see him very hesitant to praise individual players to the media.

TL;DR version: Peterman is very detailed, this isn't his first go around, he knows what he wants and he expects that to be executed at the highest level.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I'm sure we do have to improve, but it's also coach speak. All the great coaches talk about getting better.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    The only people on this team that understand what it takes to play at a championship level are the coaches... is what he means.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    I interpret it as playing the full game with attention to detail as opposed to orchestrating dances and lawnmowers while the outcome is still undecided. Petersen is scoreboard baby and Dude Brah is clownshow.
  • pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    When you play favorites with skill guys and name drop your favorites it not only breeds contentment but also creates a divided culture. Holding the entire team accountable is the only way to ensure unity and self accountability. The formula is proven; simply plug in the players and teach them.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    OZONE said:

TL;DR version: What do you think Petersen means by we need to improve upon everything and that we aren't where we need to be at any one thing at the end of Spring camp?

Thanks for the TLDR version, but next time you could put it at the top...

It means that UW should have won more games last year, and gone to a better bowl, and competed for the P12 North... the fact that you didn't means you need to improve in every area.

Even fucktard slingblade knows that much.

Dayum... has years of crappy coaching sucked any expectation out of your fan-base?

I've enjoyed your transformation into a quality poster.

Bastard.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,815 Swaye's Wigwam
    Poast (hardy har) a link to this site on the boise scout bored and ask them. I'd be interested in what they'd have to say, and i'm sure many of them will be interested in UW now that Peetaman is on Moontlake.

Either way, it will be interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

Poast (hardy har) a link to this site on the boise scout bored and ask them. I'd be interested in what they'd have to say, and i'm sure many of them will be interested in UW now that Peetaman is on Moontlake.

The Boise scout bored is a bunch of cunts. You have to apply to join and LuteOlsen4Prez was denied. So fuck em.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,815 Swaye's Wigwam

The Boise scout bored is a bunch of cunts. You have to apply to join and LuteOlsen4Prez was denied. So fuck em.
    Is being a socially inept idiot a prerequisite for running a scout website?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

Is being a socially inept idiot a prerequisite for running a scout website?
    I'm really starting to think so. Although to be fair the day I applied was when the news broke that Petermen might be coming here on that Thursday Night.

So many threads of no way that is going to happen. We've seen it before, I'm going to laugh at the Doogs(Love how they throw that term around without knowing the meaning) when Petersen stays here, blah blah blah.

Was going to poast how he was spotted at Sea-Tac airport.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,725 Swaye's Wigwam
    OZONE said:

Thanks for the TLDR version, but next time you could put it at the top...

How would you know the post is too long when the TL;DR version is at the top? Then again, I understand what you mean.

Good idea. I'll do that and see the shitshow that ensues.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    donks will be following Peterman at big bother Washington the same way doogs will follow Sark at USC