Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

My Thoughts on the Helicopter Money

124»

Comments

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

How many of those people who supposedly can't afford a $500 emergency have been on a vacation in the last 5 years that cost them $2,000 to 3,000? How many of them drive a car less than 3 years old? How many of them have smart phones and big screen TVs? How many of them eat out 3 to four times a week?

It's pretty pathetic. My 4 Runner is 14 years old. Not as old as yours was @SFGbob but still.

This panic if fucking up a lot of our short term life plans (seriously) but unless we get into Weimar Germany with the dollar we'll be fine.
    Today, this is my greatest fear. $23 TRILLION and printing more by the nano second.

We?re so fucked.
    Yes and no. We? are not Weimar Germany. Axe @UW_Doog_Bot - we go down, the whole World goes down.

But still, fuck all you deficit lovers. They do matter.
    Deficits matter but relatively.

A $500,000 mortgage in California isn't a $500,000 mortgage in North Dakota.
    Very true.

My house has been paid for for years now, but I've considered borrowing again to double down on Seattle real estate ... move to better house in an even better hood in Seattle. People say, "you don't want a mortgage payment when you're retired." My response: I have no plans to retire in said house. But it will increase in value in absolute dollars, if not by % increase, more than the one that's paid for. No investment I've made has performed better for me than my house in this area.
    I wouldn't touch real estate with a ten foot pole right now unless you're a first time buyer. And even then, I'd wait a couple months to see if everything gets back on track. If it takes more than 3 months, then it will be bargain city by this time next year.
    salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

How many of those people who supposedly can't afford a $500 emergency have been on a vacation in the last 5 years that cost them $2,000 to 3,000? How many of them drive a car less than 3 years old? How many of them have smart phones and big screen TVs? How many of them eat out 3 to four times a week?

It's pretty pathetic. My 4 Runner is 14 years old. Not as old as yours was @SFGbob but still.

This panic if fucking up a lot of our short term life plans (seriously) but unless we get into Weimar Germany with the dollar we'll be fine.
    Today, this is my greatest fear. $23 TRILLION and printing more by the nano second.

We?re so fucked.
    Yes and no. We? are not Weimar Germany. Axe @UW_Doog_Bot - we go down, the whole World goes down.

Very true.

My house has been paid for for years now, but I've considered borrowing again to double down on Seattle real estate ... move to better house in an even better hood in Seattle. People say, "you don't want a mortgage payment when you're retired." My response: I have no plans to retire in said house. But it will increase in value in absolute dollars, if not by % increase, more than the one that's paid for. No investment I've made has performed better for me than my house in this area.
    I wouldn't touch real estate with a ten foot pole right now unless you're a first time buyer. And even then, I'd wait a couple months to see if everything gets back on track. If it takes more than 3 months, then it will be bargain city by this time next year.
    salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

This is precisely the tim to do it.

Let me put it this way. If Seattle's housing market crashes, and stays crashed, there's a 98% chance it's because of something that will make walking away from the mortgage seem like a routine decision.

Seattle will see SF real estate prices within a decade. Cook it. You're not in Pull Tab anymore Salem.
    I doubt it ever gets that bad, Seattle built 4x as many housing units as SF in 2018.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2020

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

Let me put it this way. If Seattle's housing market crashes, and stays crashed, there's a 98% chance it's because of something that will make walking away from the mortgage seem like a routine decision.

Seattle will see SF real estate prices within a decade. Cook it. You're not in Pull Tab anymore Salem.
    I wish I had the ballz and work ethic to hold onto my current place while buying our next home where ever that may be (probably not in Seattle). But I hate being in the landlord bidness. I just hate it.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

I doubt it ever gets that bad, Seattle built 4x as many housing units as SF in 2018.
    Imagine thinking that single family detached is the same as multi-family.
    It is in terms of overall housing supply. Would the cost of a detached home in San Francisco go up or down if there weren't any apartments or condos built in the last 10 years?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

It is in terms of overall housing supply. Would the cost of a detached home in San Francisco go up or down if there weren't any apartments or condos built in the last 10 years?
    Seattle profiles a lot like SF ... economically and geographically. We have many of the same land limitations and challenges.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

SFO is fucked all around because they don’t add hardly any new housing stock. Yes, SEA has been adding a ton of apartments and condos which will keeps those rents or mortgages less than SFO. But single family detached is an entirely different market. And there’s no more supply being added. It’s hard to be a family of 4 in a shitty Ballard 2 bed / 1.5 bath townhome.
    SF has added plenty of housing stock in the last few years. It's all high end residential high rises. Most of the new construction south of Market has been residential high rise. Pretty much every new building you see to the left of the Sales Force Tower is housing.

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,595

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

Seattle profiles a lot like SF ... economically and geographically. We have many of the same land limitations and challenges.
    like being gay
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

Seattle profiles a lot like SF ... economically and geographically. We have many of the same land limitations and challenges braindead socialist city leaders.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

If what you say is true, then why wouldn't you save yourself a couple hundred grand and buy at the bottom?

If what you say is true, then why wouldn't you save yourself a couple hundred grand and buy at the bottom?

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!!!!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

Come on Cuog. Come on Cuog. Come on Cuog.

You're taking my comment out of context. You said you wouldn't touch real estate with a ten foot pole. I'm responding to that, generally. And, sure ... if you think real estate is still going at a premium relative to stocks, then buy stocks. I'm not going to argue that point.

And for a lot of people, preserving cash right now is the most critical thing. Understood. No argument.

Real estate isn't a short play most generally. My comments were within the context of a reasonable investment time period.

The bottom? You don't know when that's going to happen, and most of us aren't good at predicting the apocalypse.

But I'm pretty confident these aren't the end of days and that we'll be out of this in some number of months (not years). If I'm right, nobody buying a house in Seattle, perhaps taking advantage of a temporary slow down in buying, is going to take a bath. My thesis is that being long in Seattle real estate will be a good investment.

You may hate the politics here, but the market doesn't seem to care about your, or Seattle's, politics. Two distinct things.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

salemcoog said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

We?re so fucked.

Very true.

SFO is fucked all around because they don’t add hardly any new housing stock. Yes, SEA has been adding a ton of apartments and condos which will keeps those rents or mortgages less than SFO. But single family detached is an entirely different market. And there’s no more supply being added. It’s hard to be a family of 4 in a shitty Ballard 2 bed / 1.5 bath townhome.
    SF has added plenty of housing stock in the last few years. It's all high end residential high rises. Most of the new construction south of Market has been residential high rise. Pretty much every new building you see to the left of the Sales Force Tower is housing.

And I bet all that SOMA high rise real estate didn’t dampen demand one bit for a painted lady.
    A large number of those new high rise apartments were bought up and turned into AirBnB rentals. If you ever need to work a week or two in SF you can save yourself or your company some money by staying in one of those places rather than a Hotel.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,257
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Might be the right time to buy my father in law a condo here near the beach on the other side of this. Sales are DOA right now and prices should be down for a good chunk of the year.

Doesn't really matter if it's "the bottom" as long as it's down. As the creep rightly points out, if it eats shit any further I expect my investment portfolio in guns, ammo, and a desert permaculture compound to rise instead and not give a shit about a mortgage.

Also, there's a limited world supply of beachfront that's 70 degrees most of the year. Location, Location, Location.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    Swaye's Wigwam

Might be the right time to buy my father in law a condo here near the beach on the other side of this. Sales are DOA right now and prices should be down for a good chunk of the year.

Doesn't really matter if it's "the bottom" as long as it's down. As the creep rightly points out, if it eats shit any further I expect my investment portfolio in guns, ammo, and a desert permaculture compound to rise instead and not give a shit about a mortgage.

Also, there's a limited world supply of beachfront that's 70 degrees most of the year. Location, Location, Location.

I've got double the sq footage of the Bot and granite countertops. But that fucker has a pool (there's even a few MILFS). FML.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,595

But that fucker has a pool (there's even a few MILFS). FML.
    Go on